12 March 2004The South African Port Operations – a division of parastatal Transnet – has introduced a state-of-the-art technology at the Cape Town container terminal to improve and manage capacity at the facility.Nad Govender, the general manager of operations in the Western Cape, said SAPO will acquire four new Kalmar straddle carriers to handle the increase in the number of container traffic at the port.The port of Cape Town provides services for containers as well as general cargo port callers.The port handles cargo from the Americas, Africa, Oceania, Asia, and Europe.Govender said SAPO had reclaimed a portion of the port to cater for the influx of containers into the harbour.The four berths at the port, which were at different levels, create problems for arriving vessels, Govender said, adding that the six cranes at the harbour, which differed in size, were also inadequate to cater for the increased movement of cargo.He said the Port of Cape Town has six cranes in the terminal, four of which are 25 years old, the other two eight years old.Govender said SAPO will buy eight new Super Panamax ship-to-shore gantry cranes over a six-year period.“Four of these will replace the existing Demag cranes and the other four will add to the Container Gantry cranes.“We have reclaimed a portion and created additional capacity for containers, which has given us the capacity to handle the volume,” he said.The port operator has invested R23-million for new straddle carriers, which will increase the current fleet from 23 to 27.“This will increase the throughput capacity of the terminal by allowing us to stack containers higher,” Govender said.He added that SAPO had installed 404 additional reefer points to accommodate the growth in refrigerated container cargo, and was also in the process of installing remote reefer monitoring and control systems to improve service delivery.In the 2004/2005 financial year the terminal is expected to handle 480 000 TEU containers, representing a 3.5 percent increase on the previous year’s volumes.Govender added that this growth will continue.Source: BuaNews
Many sections of the people, including students and women, joined the campaign in Manipur demanding the protection of Manipur’s territory, against the backdrop of the understanding the Centre had reached with some Naga bodies, which held peace talks for the last 22 years. Students from most of the districts came out of their classes on Friday, squatted on busy roads and formed human chains, thereby hindering free flow of traffic.They raised slogans that Manipur territory cannot be compromised and diluted. Women activists and student leaders told The Hindu that Manipur is a State with 2,000 years of written history. M. Keinatombi, a woman activist said, “That Manipur had been an independent kingdom is established by the international treaties the State had signed with some foreign countries. Manipur had its Assembly and elected MLAs. King Budhachandra who was a titular head was summoned in Shillong, now capital of Meghalaya, in September 1949 and he signed the merger agreement under duress after keeping him under house arrest”. He had signed the merger agreement on September 21, 1949 though it was officially made public on October 15, 1949 to synchronise with that of Tripura, a princely State in the Northeast which was merged with independent India. However eminent scholars and other intellectuals in a public convention were of the unanimous view that the merger agreement with Manipur is “null and void” since the State Assembly never authorised the titular king to sign the agreement.”Women who take out torchlight procession every day say that they shall not rest till the details of the Naga agreement are put in public domain.After snapping ties on Thursday with the Manipur government, the Coordination Committee on Manipur Integrity (COCOMI), formed by five civil society organisations quarter-backing the agitations, exhorted the people to launch various campaigns near the houses of the 60 MLAs and four MPs who are allegedly shirking their accountability to the people on this burning issue.Sunil Karam, coordinator of the COCOMI says, “Though the Chief Minister N. Biren had assured the leaders of the civil organisations to summon an emergency session of the Manipur Assembly it is now clear that there will be no session to take a resolution on the Naga agreement. On the other hand, Biren says he will be first to resign or to sacrifice his life if Manipur’s interest and territory are compromised. However some leaders point out that it will be immaterial if Biren resigns or takes the extreme step once the Naga agreement is inked.”Earlier another BJP Cabinet Minister. T. Shyamkumar said he will commit suicide if Manipur’s territory is compromised.However, women activists said that no purpose will be served by their “sacrifices” after the inordinate delay. Women vigilantes say that if there is nothing objectionable in the Naga agreement it should have been kept in the public domain. They further say that it is fearsome why the government is transporting security personnel in trucks, special aircrafts and helicopters to Manipur ahead of the public announcement of the details of the Naga agreement.Police said though they are outnumbered by students, women vigilantes and other activists in the day-and-night agitations, the additional forces from Tripura and other States have not been deployed in the trouble-prone areas yet.
While the doping scandal is getting murkier day-by-day with the reports of involvement of players and sports officials coming out, former national swimming champion Reshma Millet on Tuesday said she has seen many athletes administering themselves performance enhancing drugs. Millet told Headlines Today that ahead of the 2002 Asian Games, she saw a group of power-lifters openly injecting each other steroids during a training camp in Delhi. “We were sharing a dormitory at Talkatora with other sports people, mainly power-lifters. One time I remember, I must be 16 or 17 years old, I saw five power-lifters injecting each other something. I was really terrified to see them,” Millet said. She added that the drug abuse was not limited to power-lifters, but she had seen many fellow swimmers also using banned drugs. “No one ever gets caught because… to give an instance… when we had Afro-Asian Games in Hyderabad. Every competitor used to go for dope test. Just before the dope test a couple of people were missing. There was one fellow swimmer who was actually hiding in the bathroom. She was terrified to come out and take the dope test,” Millet said. Going a step further, she added that officials in several sports federations have been promoting substance abuse among athletes. She said the federations back such activities and also help players in masking them. Millet’s allegations have the potential to open a can of worms and cause deep embarrassment to sports bodies battling India’s biggest doping scandal. Earlier, star Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal had also revealed that some Indian athletes had admitted to her about taking performance enhancing drugs.advertisement
Tata Motors-owned British luxury and sportscar marquee Jaguar will soon launch two high end cars in India, the XJ Ultimate luxury saloon and the F-Type sportscar. According to reports, both the cars will be brought to India through completely built unit(CBU) route as has been the case with most Jaguars. “While the Jaguar XJ Ultimate luxury saloon is a super luxurious car that will take on the long wheelbase versions of the Mercedes Benz S-Class and BMW 7 Series saloons, the F-Type is a brand new sportscar,” said the report on indiancarsbikes.in.The report further adds that the Jaguar XJ luxury saloon retains the current engine line up: a 5 Liter V8 and a 3 Liter V6 supercharged petrol engines along with a V6 turbo diesel engine. All these engines will be mated to an eight speed automatic gearbox with a start-stop system as standard. The 2013 Jaguar F-Type sportscar, inspired by the C-X16 concept will be unveiled later this year. The F-Type sportscar is expected to feature a three liter V6 petrol engine in two guises, a naturally aspirated version and a supercharged version, said the report. The naturally aspirated engine is expected to deliver about 275 Bhp while the supercharged version of the engine could put out about 375 Bhp.The 2013 Jaguar F-Type sportscar is likley to be available in both coupe as well as convertible form.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
Arsenal boss Emery: We can only make loan signingsby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal manager Unai Emery has confirmed the club will only sign loan players this month. The Gunners want to bring Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez to the Emirates, but are reluctant to part with a fee for the 25-year-old. And Emery has confirmed the club are only looking for temporary signings.”We cannot sign anyone permanently,” Emery said ahead of the Gunners’ game against West Ham on Saturday. “Only loan players this January.”Asked specifically about Suarez, Emery added: “I do not know his situation.”But I know the club is working for the possibility of players who can help us with this condition (on loan).” TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Tottenham star Alli makes drastic changes to forget injury woesby Ansser Sadiq16 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham star Dele Alli is willing to do anything in a bid to end his injury woes.The attacking midfielder has suffered a series of problems in the past 18 months, especially with his hamstrings.The England star is reportedly taking up yoga and seeing a nutritionist to discover what could be causing the problems.The 23-year-old is said to prefer a high protein and low sugar diet to limit inflammation in his body, per the Daily Mail.Alli has the present international break to get back to match fitness, so that he can help Spurs halt a miserable run of results.The midfielder wants to win back his place in the team and cement himself as one of their top performers.
Those properties are:7711 Old Fort Road7587 Old Fort Road9913 240 Road7131 265 Road7219 265 Road9808 240 Road9840 240 Road9860 240 Road9878 240 Road9914 240 Road9936 240 Road9940 240 RoadHere is a map of all the properties that remain under an evacuation order or an evacuation alert.A map of the current evacuation orders and alerts as of October 29, 2018Westrek Geotechnical said last week some residents of the Old Fort could return home once the road into the community is finished. The final geotechnical report on the slide should be completed by the middle of this week. The report was supposed to be finished last week, but a large amount of new data from the Province was given to Westrek on Wednesday.Once the PRRD receives the geotechnical report, the report will then be sent for a peer and legal reviews. From there, the PRRD will determine the next steps for residents of the Old Fort. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Peace River Regional District has lifted the evacuation alert for twelve properties near the Old Fort and lifted the evacuation order for one property.The majority of the evacuation order remains in place, but as of 3 p.m. Monday, the PRRD has downgraded the evacuation order to an alert for the property at 9819 240 road. The property is located above the slide.The evacuation alert for twelve properties, listed below, was also lifted Monday afternoon.
Kolkata: The Election Commission of India (ECI) may not fulfill BJP’s demand of declaring all the polling booths in Bengal as ‘sensitive’ as there is no situation in the state disturbing law and order.As per the latest observation by the office of the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) in the state, there has been no law and order situation in any part of the state since announcement of the Lok Sabha polls. The CEO’s office has so far identified around 18,461 booths as ‘sensitive’, spreading over 9 districts in the state. The ECI officials in the state are in the process of identifying the sensitive booths across the state, on the basis of their previous records of violence. Also Read – Centuries-old Durga Pujas continue to be hit among revellersThey have been carrying out a detailed examination of the nature of polling booths and are trying to identify the pockets which had witnessed violence in the previous few elections. According to sources in the CEO’s office, around 2,357 booths in South 24-Parganas have been designated as sensitive, while Birbhum has 1,556 sensitive booths. There are around 1,220 sensitive booths in Malda and 1,197 such booths in Murshidabad. In case of Hooghly, Cooch Behar, North Dinajpur and North 24-Parganas, the figures are 1,008, 503, 657 and 981 respectively. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaIt may be mentioned here that Trinamool Congress supremo and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had raised her voice against BJP’s demand of declaring all the booths in Bengal as ‘super sensitive’. Banerjee had also asked how BJP prepared the list of sensitive polling booths and slammed the vindictive politics by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP president Amit Shah. She also urged the ECI to act impartially. Banerjee’s reaction came soon after a BJP delegation met ECI officials in Delhi on March 13 and apprised them of the party’s demands. Meanwhile, 10 companies of Central forces arrived at different districts on Friday and started area domination to boost the confidence of the voters. One company of CRPF jawans started route march along the bordering areas of Birbhum, Bankura and West Burdwan on Friday morning. They are keeping a close watch on the Jharkhand border as well. Forces are being deployed in various parts of South 24-Parganas, North 24-Parganas, Malda, Murshidabad and others. An ECI team headed by Deputy Election Commissioner Sudip Jain is expected to come to the city on Saturday and meet the senior officials of the CEO’s office and the senior police officers in the state to supervise the poll-preparedness.
NEW DELHI: The AAP government on Monday moved the Supreme Court seeking constitution of a larger bench to expeditiously decide the issue of control over administrative services in Delhi. A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi told the Delhi government counsel that it will look into the matter. The apex court had on February 14 referred to the issue of control of services to a larger bench after delivering a split verdict.The two-judge bench had said that the Centre should have the final word on posting and transfer of bureaucrats in the national capital administration, but their disagreement on finer details resulted in a split verdict and the matter was referred to a larger bench. The bench, which was called upon to decide on six vexatious issues pertaining to a long-running feud between the central and the national capital governments, had given a unanimous verdict on the remaining five counts and had ruled that the Delhi government’s Anti-Corruption Branch (ACB) cannot probe the Centre’s employees in corruption cases. Out of six contentious issues, the Delhi government had won in three and lost to the Centre on two critical aspects of investigating power to probe central government employees, and for setting up of inquiry commissions. While it left for a larger bench to conclusively decide who will have control over administrative services in the national capital, the apex court had unanimously ruled that the power to appoint inquiry commissions would rest with the Centre as “there is no ‘State Government’ in the Union Territory and the State Government (for this purpose) shall mean the Central Government”. In its 202-page verdict, the court had however held that the elected Delhi government will have the right to appoint public prosecutors, to decide land revenue matters and also to appoint or deal with electricity commission or board. On the most contentious issue, Justice A.K. Sikri had said: “The transfers and postings of secretaries, heads of departments and other officers in the scale of Joint Secretary to the Government of India and above can be done by the Lieutenant Governor and the file submitted to him directly. “For other levels, including DANICS (Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Civil Service) officers, files can be routed through the chief minister to L-G. In case of difference of opinion between the L-G and the chief minister, the view of the L-G should prevail and the Ministry of Home Affairs can issue a suitable notification.” Justice Sikri noted that all transfers and postings for Grade III and IV DASS (Delhi Administration Subordinate Service) are done by the Secretary (Services), while those for Grades I and II are done by the Chief Secretary. For “greater transparency” in transfer and posting of officers of this cadre, he suggested a civil services board headed by the Secretary (Services) for the Grade III and IV officials and by the Chief Secretary for the Grade I and II. However, Justice Ashok Bhushan, in his dissenting view, was blunter and had held that the power to regulate transfer and posting of officers working for the Delhi government was not available to its assembly in the first place under the Constitution.