28 Police ranks involved in accidents

first_imgFor this year…9 dismissed so far, says Top CopBy Shemuel FanfairAs the Guyana Police Force (GPF) continues to remove its “rogue” elements, acting Commissioner David Ramnarine has affirmed that the Force has no place for unprofessional conduct, informing the public that some nine junior ranks were dismissed for their involvement in various types of motor vehicular offences.Dead: Anastacia KerrPolice statistics have revealed that for the period January-October 2017, some 28 junior Police ranks were involved in motor accidents, some of which saw persons losing their lives.At Monday’s press conference, the acting Police Commissioner said that nine of those ranks were dismissed. He added that the Police Force’s senior administration would not accept such unprofessional conduct, whether or not the ranks operated their private cars or one of the Force’s fleet of vehicles, some of which were involved in accidents in recent weeks.“You cannot be driving without fitness, insurance [or] drunk driving, and expect to be a member of the Force; you have to go,” Ramnarine strongly stated.In March 2017 in Berbice, Constable Joshua Ali, then unlicensed, was fined $37,500 after pleading guilty to Driving Under the Influence (DUI) of alcohol and breach of condition of provisional licence. Similarly, Police Constable Satrohan Gowkarran, who struck a pedestrian at Stewartville, West Coast Demerara, in a drunken state in September, pleaded guilty and was fined $7500 and had his licence endorsed for a DUI.Dead: Pulmattie RamotarCondemning such occurrences, Ramnarine suggested that new recruits were actively waiting to fill the vacuum that would be left by dismissed ranks.“The Guyana Police Force did not have a long line waiting to enlist five years ago, but today through the grace of God and through public trust, and other initiatives, we have a long line waiting out there, so when you slip up; I’m not going to wait on three strikes, that is the way forward for the Force,” he related, at the same time condemning the heavily tinted motor cars of junior ranks.In August, 58-year-old Pulmattie Ramotar, of Success, East Coast Demerara (ECD), succumbed two days after she was struck down on the Success Public Road by a police rank. Additionally, Eno David, 22, of Matthew’s Ridge, North West District, was struck down at the Soesdyke Public Road (EBD), East Bank Demerara, by a police rank, who was transporting an injured colleague, who himself was involved in a separate car accident in the early morning hours. Police had, however, claimed that no alcohol was found when breathalyser tests were conducted on these two ranks.The PPP 8497 Toyota Allion motor car which struck and killed Eno David at Soesdyke, EBD in August (Shemuel Fanfair file photo)In September, 20-year-old former Lot 5 Hope Estate, ECD resident and sales girl Anastacia Kerr lost her life after she was struck down and killed by a drunken Police Lance Corporal at the Ogle Public Road, ECD. It was reported that the Policeman was proceeding along the roadway in motor car PSS 3984, when the now deceased woman allegedly ran across the road and into the path of the vehicle. As a result, the left side of the car hit her.last_img read more

Victory Valley residents voice concerns over erosion

first_imgResidents of the Region 10 community of Victory Valley in Wismar, Linden (Upper Demerara-Berbice) have voiced their concerns about the ongoing threat of severe erosion which is evident in the community.The residents registered their concerns during a consultation with Minister within the Natural Resources Ministry, Simona Broomes, on Sunday. As the consultation got underway, other issues which were brought to the fore included difficulties receiving land titles, deteriorating roads and garbage issues, and the lack of job opportunities, among others.Minister Broomes also met with some small miners, who also voiced their concerns over job opportunities.A section of the gathering at the meeting in LindenAdditionally, the minister conducted a tour of the Victory Valley community, where she got a firsthand look at the situation with regard to erosion and numerous dilapidated bridges in the area.She was accompanied by outgoing Mayor of Linden, Carwyn Holland; Region 10 People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) Party Chairman Derron Adams, and several Municipal and Regional Councillors.Speaking with this publication shortly after the tour, Mayor Holland spoke about several issues which were highlighted. “In the area of erosion, we’re trying to see what best could be done, because the drainage in the area is breaking up with the steady erosion, and several homes are under threat.“Also, the Valley is the place where they’ve had several issues with garbage, since the area was not really served (by the Linden Mayor and Town Council). And so moves were made to clean up those huge garbage heaps that were there for many years. The Council had done some cleaning on some of the garbage areas last year, and now the massive ones that were not touched in many years, they were cleaned through a collaboration with the RDC (Regional Democratic Council), M&TC, and so on…,” he pointed out.Holland had previously called for a $3 billion revetment programme to deal with the issue of massive erosion, which is occurring in several communities across Linden.“The Valley is just one area that is under serious threat of erosion. There are many other areas that have this problem. The issue was raised with Government this week again, and we’re hopeful that Government will consent to at least doing the revetment work in several areas; and I think the Valley can be one that they can start with”, the mayor said.last_img read more