HHS: Most H5N1 vaccine on hand is still potent

first_imgNov 17, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – A Department of Health and Human Services official said today that loss of potency is affecting less than 20% of H5N1 avian influenza vaccine doses in the national stockpile, not a majority of doses as reported here yesterday.Bill Hall, an HHS spokesman in Washington, DC, said the agency has acquired a total of about 7.5 million doses of H5N1 vaccine to date, and about 200,000 of those have been used for research.About 1.4 million doses have begun to lose potency, Hall said. “That leaves about 5.9 million doses that are mostly in bulk, with some in vials, that still have potency,” he said. “That would treat about 3 million people.”Hall gave the numbers in response to the report here yesterday in which he was quoted as saying that a majority of vaccine doses in the stockpile had begun to lose potency. He said his comments were mischaracterized.HHS has been stockpiling H5N1 vaccine in preparation for the threat of an influenza pandemic sparked by the avian flu virus. In a Nov 13 pandemic planning update, HHS Secretary Mike Leavitt said the agency had enough vaccine on hand for about 3 million people. A previous update in July said the stockpile contained enough vaccine for about 4 million people.Hall cited the loss of potency in some of the vaccine as the main reason for the decrease in the number of people who could be immunized.Most of the vaccine was made by Sanofi Pasteur, but HHS also has bought some from Chiron Corp., Hall said today.He reiterated today that all vaccines and other biologic products have a limited shelf life. “The expected shelf life of seasonal flu vaccine is probably about a year,” so the fact that most of the stockpile is still good after about 2 years “is probably a good thing,” he said.Hall added that HHS-sponsored research now under way, particularly on the use of adjuvants (immune-boosting substances), may help to stretch the vaccine supply.See also:Nov 13 HHS pandemic planning updatehttp://www.flu.gov/professional/pdf/panflureport3.pdflast_img read more

Game 5 rewind: USC dedicates win to Stafon Johnson

first_imgBERKELEY — The story: With Stafon Johnson hospitalized and unable to talk, the Trojans did all their talking on the field Saturday.Most of the players had Johnson’s initials or his No. 13 written on their eye black. Many said he was part of their thoughts throughout the game. Many said he inspired them to win.USC receiver Damian Williams evades Cal defenders on his way to a touchdown on a punt return in the second quarter. It was the Trojans’ first special teams touchdown of the season. – Photo by Dieuwertje Kast | Daily TrojanAnd with a balanced, well-rounded performance yet unseen out of the Trojans this season, No. 7 USC (4-1) dominated Cal 30-3.Johnson underwent emergency surgery Monday after dropping a weight on his throat in Heritage Hall. Despite his absence, the senior running back was on the mind of his teammates.“I was really happy that we could play this game for Stafon,” freshman quarterback Matt Barkley said. “He was in our hearts the whole time. It was a great victory for us and for him.”Meanwhile, the No. 24 Bears (3-2) suffered their second consecutive embarrassing loss after falling 42-3 to No. 16 Oregon last week. And Cal’s ballyhooed preseason All-American Jahvid Best was again shut down, gaining just 51 total yards.Key plays: 1. Cal drove down the field quickly to start the game, with an eight-yard run from Best, a facemask called on USC, and two 20-yard strikes from Kevin Riley putting the Golden Bears in a goal-to-go situation. But USC senior safety Taylor Mays made a leaping interception of a Riley throw in the end zone to stop the looming threat.“We knew it was an early test for us, but we handled it,” said redshirt sophomore middle linebacker Chris Galippo. “Taylor just totally shut the whole stadium down with that interception.”The Trojans turned around, scored in six plays, and never looked back. Cal wouldn’t get on the board until the fourth quarter.“I think it was a great statement that we weren’t going to let [a Cal touchdown] happen,” Carroll said. “And even better than that was our drive after. We took advantage and drove 80 yards for the touchdown.”Added Galippo: “People can see how much turnovers can mean with that one.”2. The other key play happened early in the second quarter, as Williams returned a Bryan Anger punt 66 yards for a touchdown. The return was Williams’ first special teams score of his career as well as the first for the Trojans this season.Williams eluded multiple Bears on the return and managed to tiptoe his way along the sideline before sneaking just inside the pylon.“Ball security is the most important thing on that,” Williams said. “Once you use a few blocks, it’s kinda like running through a tunnel.”Most valuable player: Running back Joe McKnight. The 6-foot, 190-pound junior rushed 20 times for 121 yards and two touchdowns. He didn’t fumble and lost yardage on only two carries — two weaknesses that have plagued him in the past.“He’s fast and explosive,” said Cal linebacker Mike Mohamed of McKnight. “He’s pretty good.”Surprise performance: Bradford had 53 yards on a career-high 12 carries as he established himself as the Trojans No. 2 running back behind McKnight. Bradford didn’t break any long runs — a 16-yard rush was his game-high — but he did rush for three first downs and provided a change of pace from the speedy McKnight.“I’m a big back, so I have to be able to get key yardage,” Bradford said. “My role is extended, so I know I have to step up.”Carroll had said that Bradford would be depended on more in the coming weeks.“He’s gonna get better and better,” McKnight said of his backfield mate. “And he’s gonna have a bigger role against Notre Dame.”Stat of the game: The Trojans were flagged just five times for a total of 55 yards. That number — especially when compared to last week’s first quarter total of seven penalties for 75 yards — displayed the team’s increased discipline.“You could say that we were clicking on all cylinders tonight,” linebacker Michael Morgan said. “Not as many mistakes, not as many penalties.”Quote of the game: “It’s about time.”The Trojans said it was about time for a lot of things after the game Saturday.“It’s about time Damian returned a punt for a touchdown,” said redshirt freshman receiver Brice Butler. “It’s about time.”“It’s about time Taylor had an interception,” Williams said. “I’ve been telling him to get one for the last two years. That was a huge play.”Added Williams: “And it’s about time for us as a team. I think we finally solidified why we’re one of the best teams in the nation.”last_img read more

Sandals and Beaches Resorts to Close Due to COVID-19

first_imgSandals Royal Barbados via sandals.com MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica – The Caribbean’s leading hotel chain, Sandals Resorts International says it is closing all Sandals and Beaches Resorts for the period March 30 to May 15, 2020, to protect guests and staff against COVID-19.In a statement, Sandals founder and Chairman Gordon “Butch” Stewart described the decision as difficult, but said it will use the time to make further enhancements to its resorts, “so that we will continue to surpass your expectations and provide you with the luxury-included vacation you so well deserve”“Therefore, we will not be able to accept new arrivals as of March 23, 2020. We also want to alleviate any additional worry you might have about your upcoming vacation. Our dedicated team will be reaching out to you personally to assist with rescheduling your future plans. This way, you can spend less time trying to reach us and more time with your loved ones,” Stewart said.“The Caribbean is resilient. We have always come back better, stronger and more passionate than ever. We promise this time will be no exception,” Stewart added.“When the time is right, you can trust us to be here, ready to welcome you back with open arms and a warm smile. Soon come back,” he said.The brand, which operates 19 properties in the Caribbean (10 of which are in Jamaica), are responsible for thousands of jobs, particularly on Jamaica’s north coast. The temporary closure of these and other hotels means that thousands of hospitality workers will possibly be without an income.Just last week, three RIU Hotel properties in western Jamaica announced their closure due to low visitor arrival. Some 1,000 workers are expected to be left without jobs during the period of closure at the three affected properties: RIU Palace Jamaica, RIU Negril and RIU Montego Bay.last_img read more

Alex Bowman sounds off on Joey Logano: ‘He’ll get his for sure’

first_img“Everybody has to race everybody hard with this package,” Bowman said in discussing what happened last week (per NASCAR.com). “There’s not a lot of room for give and take. I thought the situation was, there was a good chunk of the race left, it was pretty unnecessary. Probably wouldn’t have been as mad as I was about it if he didn’t about crash us in practice, which I thought was really unnecessary.“It’s all good and he’ll get his for sure.” Related News Bowman explained that his frustration with Logano goes beyond just the confrontations at Charlotte, though.“Just a couple situations throughout the course of the year and then in practice last Saturday and then Sunday in the race,” Bowman said. “It’s just like really uncalled for and unnecessary because I race him really clean. “When I say he’s going to get his, I’m not going to go wreck the guy. It’s I’m going to race him exactly how he races me. He can have those big saves up the race track or he can stand on the brakes not to wreck us both in the corner instead of me being the one to do it.“Shoot, I feel like I’ll have plenty of opportunities and I’m just going to be like the elephant and when it’s convenient for me, he’ll get it back.”Bowman and Logano will participate in qualifying Saturday at Pocono with the Pocono 400 set for Sunday at 2 p.m. ET (FS1). NASCAR at Pocono: Odds, prediction, sleepers, drivers to watch for Pocono 400 Hendrick Motorsports driver Alex Bowman made it known that he’s not happy with Team Penske’s Joey Logano after an incident last weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. On-track tension developed between the two when they rubbed fenders in the practice rounds ahead of the Coca-Cola 600 race. And then during the race, Logano and Bowman made contact several times on restarts. last_img read more

Lincoln Street between Washington and Jefferson is now closed due to building condition

first_imgMore cones and barricades surrounds the building known as “Lincoln Place” this week.by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — Like a malignant tumor, the situation at the Lincoln Place building at Washington and Lincoln in Wellington seems to be worsening.The city of Wellington has blocked off Lincoln Street between Washington and Jefferson due to safety concerns with the building. Information came to light this week that there is a standing pool of water on the building’s roof from this week’s rain.Wellington Interim City Manager Shane Shields said the street will remain closed until an official report by a structural engineer is filed with the city on the condition of the building. He is hoping that the owner Jan Spevak will furnish a report to the Wellington City Council before or at its next meeting Tuesday night. If not the city will pursue a report on its own.In the meantime, Shields said a resolution has been drafted for Tuesday’s meeting that declares the building an “immediate hazard to the public.” The resolution will give the city authority to make the building temporarily safe if the owner is unable to do so at the owner’s expense. Also, it will provide the city authority to demolish the building immediately if it is deemed a public safety hazard by a certified engineer.“That does not mean we will be doing it,” Shields said. “It just gives us the authority to do so if it comes to that.”The building was closed and barricaded on July 14 by the owner’s themselves (see article here). Red Beard’s Barbershop was located on the corner of that building and was immediately closed.Spencer Furman, owner of Red Beard’s Barbershop, had initially expressed surprise and confusion when he was told the building was inhabitable in mid July. He stated today on the social media website Facebook he will not be returning to the location to reopen his barber shop if the building becomes functional again. He said he will instead move himself and his daughter out of the community.Shields said the council could use the services of the city’s consulting firm – Professional Engineering Consultants in Wichita to determine how safe the building is. He anticipates it would take one or two days to perform such a report.“The problem we see is on the third floor,” Shields said. “We still don’t know specifically what the problem is.”There is speculation that the building was damaged due to the recent spat of earthquakes in the area.Shields said that has not been determined. The resolution’s language will simply state that possible damage could be due to “recent unknown causes.”Follow us on Facebook.Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (3) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. +4 Vote up Vote down **** TRACY · 210 weeks ago WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF THE DOWNTOWN BUILDINGS Report Reply 0 replies · active 210 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Ted “Theodore” Logan · 210 weeks ago At least the building is in a place where not very people go. Report Reply 0 replies · active 210 weeks ago +2 Vote up Vote down iceman318 · 210 weeks ago That corner building that housed Red Beards barber shop was fully busy all the time he was open. Check your facts Ted. Report Reply 0 replies · active 210 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new commentslast_img read more