LONDON >> Novak Djokovic played the first match of this year’s Wimbledon tournament under a closed roof on Centre Court, and he won it in straight sets.The three-time champion at the All England Club beat Adrian Mannarino 6-2, 7-6 (5), 6-4 Tuesday in a fourth-round match that was postponed from Monday.During the third set, with Djokovic already up a break, the second-seeded Serb asked for a medical timeout and a trainer examined and stretched his right shoulder. Djokovic appeared to grimace …
Another specimen of Australopithecus afarensis has been announced from Ethiopia. This one supposedly preceded Lucy by 400,000 years, and according to its discoverers, belonged to a group of primates that shows they “were almost as proficient as we are walking on two legs, and that the elongation of our legs came earlier in our evolution than previously thought.” The discovery by Yohannes Haile-Selassie’s team, was published in PNAS.1 It was immediately announced in the press by National Geographic, Science Daily and PhysOrg. True to tradition, the discoverers had to give the specimen a catchy name for the press. In the local Afar tribal language, it’s Kadanuumuu, but in English, it’s Big Man. That’s because the male had substantially larger stature than Lucy – 5 feet instead of her 3 feet. The researchers claim this specimen is 3.6 million years old (compared to Lucy’s 3.2 million). Ardipithecus ramidus (Ardi), found in the same general area, is said to be 4.4 million years old. The main claims about Big Man is that it shows upright posture more than Ardi, based on pelvic positions and limb proportions. Only a scapula, a few ribs, parts of the neck and one shoulder, parts of the pelvis, one arm and one leg were found – no skull fragments. Only National Geographic offered a dissenting opinion. Its writeup included the observations of Zeresenay Alemseged, an anthropologist at the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. He doubts that it belongs to A. afarensis, and says that without skull fragments and teeth, it is hard to make a positive identification. He also thinks Lucy and another baby specimen claimed to be 3.3 million years old show evidence of living in the trees. In the paper, the team admitted that fitting the new find into an evolutionary sequence requires a bit of punctuated equilibrium. Here’s what the last paragraph said:The total biomechanical pattern of Au. afarensis involves a host of specialized postcranial characters, all of which are fully consistent with data reported here for KSD-VP-1/1,2 those previously available for Au. afarensis, and the Laetoli footprints (58, 60), which at 3.66 Ma are just slightly older than KSD-VP-1/1 (61). Equally important are similarities between the Au. afarensis pelvis and the recently described H. erectus specimen from Busidima (BSN49/P27a�d) (11). These similarities are particularly striking, especially in light of the time separating them (at least 2.2 million years). Such constancy of morphotype suggests that highly derived terrestrial bipedality enjoyed a long period of stasis punctuated only occasionally by additional modifications to the postcranium of apparently decreasing selective significance (e.g., length of pedal intermediate phalanges, lower limb length).It should be noted that the Laetoli footprints, dated earlier than this specimen, are identical to modern human footprints (03/22/2010). Haile-Selassie seems to be claiming that bipedality evolved in a few hundred thousand years, then remained essentially unchanged except for minor details for almost four million years.1. Haile-Selassie et al, “An early Australopithecus afarensis postcranium from Woranso-Mille, Ethiopia,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Published online before print June 21, 2010, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1004527107.2. This is the designation for the new fossil.This is the lightning flash before the thunder. The news media all light up on cue, but then the long peals of thunder hit when the other teams get angry at the Ethiopian team for trying to put the spotlight on their Big Boy, making him the new star on the Human Evolution Walk of Shame (06/10/2010). Just you wait. This is not the History Channel, you know; it’s the Follywood Squares.(Visited 14 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
Goa Lokayukta Justice (retd.) P.K.Misra is examining if the documents submitted by activist lawyer Aires Rodrigues pertaining to the alleged disproportionate assets accumulated by Chief Minister Pramod Sawant could be taken as a suo motu complaint, sources in the Lokayukta Secretariat confirmed to The Hindu on Wednesday.Mr. Rodrigues on Monday had placed before the Lokayukta a copy of the documents obtained by him from the Anti-Corruption Branch (ACB) under the Right to Information (RTI) Act pertaining to the February 20, 2017 complaint filed by Sudip Tamhankar, a local RTI activist against then MLA Pramod Sawant. Mr. Sawant was the Chairman of the State-owned Goa State Infrastructure Development Corporation (GSIDC), and the complaint alleged that he had acquired disproportionate assets, accusing him of cheating, criminal breach of trust and criminal conspiracy.Sources in the Lokayukta Secretariat on the condition of anonymity said that the complaint by Mr. Rodrigues is not in the appropriate form but just forwarded all the documents obtained by Mr. Tamhankar through RTI. As the said document cannot be taken as a complaint, the Lokayukta is examining the documents to see if it could be taken up as a suo motu case. Mr. Rodrigues, in his letter, drew the attention of the Lokayukta that a mere perusal of the noting sheets processing the complaint against Mr. Sawant demonstrates that the ACB — which has been hounding Opposition politicians — had on directions of the then Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar shielded Mr. Sawant from a probe.Former Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on 16th June 2018, while he was ailing, gave his consent to close the complaint without conducting a probe.In that documented complaint, Mr. Sawant was accused of buying properties in the name of a partnership firm M/s Jay Ganesh Developers and Associates set up by him in 2014 as a front with Ranjit Rohidas Mangaonkar, Rupesh Narayan Thanekar, and Rajesh Manohar Shirodkar as the other three partners.In the complaint, the ACB was given details of 24 sale deeds executed within a span two years by Pramod Sawant’s partnership firm at the office of the Sub-Registrar in Bicholim in North Goa.Amongst the properties purchased by Pramod Sawant’s partnership firm was land measuring 16,480 sq.m. in Bordem at Bicholim for ₹1.31 crore and another 19,989 sq.m. also at Bordem for an amount of ₹1.23 crore.
India’s Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa won their last group match against Shinta Mulia Sari and Lei Yao of Singapore on Tuesday but could not progress to the quarterfinals of women’s doubles badminton at the London Olympics. The Indian duo, who lost their opening match, beat the Singaporean girls 21-16, 21-15 in just 31 minutes.But the win wasn’t enough as Jawala and Ashwni, World Championship bronze medallists, finished third despite winning two matches like group toppers Yu Chin Chien and Wen Hsing Cheng of Chinese Tapiei and Japanese duo Reika Kakiiwa and Mizuki Fujii.The Chinese Taipei and the Japanese team went through to the quarters on the basis of better points.For the Indians, the first set was a tight affair with the Singapore team equalling them for half of the game. Jwala and Ashwini then pressed on the accelerator to take a eight point lead and finally close the game 21-16.In the second game, the Indians were quickly out of the blocks taking a 10-0 lead. Complacency on their part allowed the Singapore pair to make a comeback into the match. But it proved to be a little too late as the Indians held on to record a memorable win.Jwala partnered by V. Diju had earlier in the day lost third consecutive group match to be ousted from Olympics.Jwala-Diju lost their third and final group match 15-21, 15-21 in 27 minutes against World No.9 pair of Ha Jung Eun and Lee Yong Dae of South Korea to end fourth and last in Group D. The win came as a consolation for the South Koreans who are also out of the tournament.advertisement
About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Tottenham star Alli makes drastic changes to forget injury woesby Ansser Sadiq16 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham star Dele Alli is willing to do anything in a bid to end his injury woes.The attacking midfielder has suffered a series of problems in the past 18 months, especially with his hamstrings.The England star is reportedly taking up yoga and seeing a nutritionist to discover what could be causing the problems.The 23-year-old is said to prefer a high protein and low sugar diet to limit inflammation in his body, per the Daily Mail.Alli has the present international break to get back to match fitness, so that he can help Spurs halt a miserable run of results.The midfielder wants to win back his place in the team and cement himself as one of their top performers.
Ashley BrandsonAPTN NewsThe Winnipeg police have identified a woman whose body was discovered among recycling at a local depot as Mary Madeline Yellowback.The 33-year old woman from God’s River in Manitoba was discovered on Sept. 28.Police have released photos of Yellowback on the night of Sept. 27.They believe she was in the downtown area the night before she was discovered.A photo from what looks like security camera footage captured Yellowback wearing a grey hoodie with a red R on the front.According to a statement released by the family, Yellowback had six children, aged three, four, six, nine and 13. She and her husband Clifford Yellowback had one child who died in a car collision in 2009 at the age of four.”Yellowback was a community care worker and is described in the statement as “happy go lucky,” the statement said.Anyone with information is asked to call the Winnipeg Police Service at 204-986-6508. firstname.lastname@example.org
OSU senior guard Ameryst Alston sets the offense during a game against Illinois on Feb. 21 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won, 117-74. Credit: Brooke Profitt | Lantern photographerAs time ticked down at the Schottenstein Center in the final home game of the Ohio State women’s basketball team’s regular season against Illinois, the question was not which team would score more points. It was whether OSU’s starting backcourt of Kelsey Mitchell and Ameryst Alston could outscore the Fighting Illini on their own.On a warm Sunday afternoon in Columbus, No. 5 OSU (23-4, 15-1) ran past Illinois (9-18, 2-14) with an outstanding offensive showing, 117-74. The Buckeyes powered past the Illini behind an impressive offensive performance from the senior guard Alston, who scored 39 points, just three points shy of the single-game record at OSU. Meanwhile, the sophomore Mitchell had an extremely efficient day, putting in 35 points on 11-of-14 shooting, including eight 3-pointers.Combined, the duo matched the point total of the entire Illinois team, with 74. “We played with great pace, we shared the ball (and) we shot it well. We were extremely efficient,” OSU coach Kevin McGuff said. “There’s not much more I could ask for in terms of how our offense went today.”The Buckeyes are now on a season-high 11-game win streak and still hold sole possession of first place in the Big Ten. Before their final game at the Schott began, Alston, along with fellow senior Cait Craft and redshirt junior Kalpana Beach, were recognized for their contributions to the program over the course of their careers.The emotional pregame turned into a high-powered first-quarter offense for the Buckeyes. The Fighting Illini held their own through the first five minutes, but quickly fell behind by double digits when the Scarlet and Gray turned to their full-court press defense. The Buckeyes finished the first quarter with 37 points, 16 of which were dropped in by the nation’s fifth-leading scorer, Mitchell.OSU followed up its first quarter outburst with another offensively charged 10 minutes. An array of Buckeyes contributed to the second-quarter barrage.By the half, the lead had bloomed to 27 points as the Buckeyes owned a 67-40 advantage heading into the locker room. It marked the highest-scoring first half of the season for the Buckeyes. The Scarlet and Gray’s big lead was due in part to impressive team 3-point shooting effort, as they connected on 11 of their 18 attempts. At the midway point, Mitchell had 25 points for the Buckeyes on a nearly perfect 8-of-9 shooting. Alston added 19 points of her own.Although the Buckeyes maintained control for the vast majority of the game, Craft said she is still focused on what the team can improve on heading toward the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments.“I feel that offense is something our team has, even when we’re not hitting shots, we find other ways to score,” Craft said, “Defensively is where we really need to work.”OSU showed no signs of rust coming off the break as it continued to add onto its already-impressive lead. No single player took control in the third period, but just about everyone who checked in meshed with the others and helped create scoring opportunities. At the conclusion of the third period, the Buckeyes were in control by 44 points. In the closing quarter, the Buckeyes held their own, maintaining their massive lead and spreading out playing time. The three players recognized before the game subbed out just before the end of the final quarter and were given a big round of applause by the home crowd. “I think we were really dialed in,” Alston said. “I feel like that’s how the game should be. When you make it fun and everyone is scoring it becomes contagious.”The Buckeyes are set to get back in action Wednesday on the road against Minnesota (18-9, 10-6). Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m.
Belgium captain Eden Hazard is confident that his side’s “Golden Generation” will fulfil their promised potential unlike that of England’s who failed to deliver on the big stageBelgium enters the World Cup this summer as one of the dark horses to overcome the likes of Germany, Brazil and Spain to claim glory in world football’s biggest stage.Hazard, along with the likes of Kevin De Bruyne, Romelu Lukaku and Thibaut Courtois, is confident that he is part of a new “Golden Generation” and is certain that Belgium can do what England’s previous stars failed to do this summer.Zidane hails ‘quality’ James Rodriguez after Real Madrid’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane reserved special praise for James Rodriguez after his starring role in Real Madrid’s 3-2 win over Levante.In the 2000’s, England had the likes of David Beckham, Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand, Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard at the peak of their abilities and yet they disappointed by only reaching the quarter-finals in three major tournaments.“The golden generation you had in England, 10 years or 15 years ago, won nothing. Now I think the fans, journalists, all of Belgium, the country just want to win something. We have a golden generation,” said Hazard, according to FirstPost.Hazard and Belgium will begin their World Cup campaign against Panama on June 18, before facing England in their third and final Group G game on June 28.
Sam Allardyce believes that he should still be the England manager and admitted that he is feeling jealous over their recent success in his absenceThe 63-year-old was infamously fired from the role as head coach of the national side in September 2016, despite having only been in charge for one game in a last-gasp 1-0 victory away to Slovakia.Allardyce’s spell of 67 days in charge was the shortest of any England manager.In a BBC documentary called “Managing England: The Impossible Job”, the former Everton boss reflected on his controversial exit from England.“Jealousy is what I feel. Massively disappointed. That should be me there. Unfortunately because of the circumstances that wasn’t the case,” said Allardyce, according to The Sack Race.Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“One night I was playing golf – next day they said you can’t carry on. And I still don’t know why… because in the cold light of day, there was no substance, nothing behind it.“If a bit more time was taken, a bit more patience, I believe I should still be the England manager.“I’ve bounced back now – and while I will be extremely jealous I will be watching Gareth and the lads and hope they do extremely well.”Despite having guided Everton to a top 10 finish in the Premier League last season, Allardyce was fired by the board and replaced by Marco Silva.
Sadio Mane has revealed why he decided to switch squad jersey numbers this summer and gave insight about his team’s run of fixtures.Mane spent his first two years at Liverpool wearing the number 19 shirt but switched to jersey number 10 after Philippe Coutinho’s departure to Barcelona earlier in the year, and the Senegalese admits he couldn’t wait to swap.“I was very happy to get it because I have always taken the number 10 everywhere I have gone,” added Mane. “When I first came to Liverpool, Philippe (Coutinho) had it, so I was happy with my number 19.“But when he left I thought: it is free, I want to take the number 10 because it has always been my favourite number.“Everywhere I go, I wore number 10, and now I wear it for Liverpool.”Virgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.Liverpool’s are bracing up for the trip to Stamford Bridge which is their fifth game in a run of seven in 23 days.“It’s a very, very tough list,” said Mane, speaking to the official Liverpool matchday programme. “But if you think about it you should be happy because of our strength.“If we are a team at the bottom of the table it would be a lot more difficult, but we are a big team with a big squad so let’s do it.“For us, it is no problem. We will take it game by game, try to win and only then concentrate on the next game.”