December 18, 2018 Help us publish the 50th Anniversary edition of Arcology: City in the Image of Man2019 is a significant year for the Cosanti Foundation. We will kick off the 50th Anniversary of Arcosanti, culminating in several events throughout 2020. An important part of that celebration is publishing a new edition of Arcology: The City in the Image of Man, originally released by MIT Press in 1969. This is the book that started it all!Arcology: The City in the Image of Man is legendary among scholars, architects, artists, and librarians around the world. It established Soleri as one of the most innovative minds of our time, and inspired over 8,000 volunteers to dedicate their time to building Arcosanti. The concept of Arcology is illustrated with outstanding graphics that place Paolo Soleri alongside such visionary artists as Piranesi, Boullée, and Ledoux.The most current edition of Arcology, published in 2006, is now out of print and not available for purchase. In 2019, Cosanti Press will publish the 50th Anniversary edition of this seminal work so it can continue to inspire and influence students, scholars, and visitors to Arcosanti for many more years to come.But we can’t do this without your help! The Cosanti Foundation is a charitable nonprofit, and relies upon the generosity of its supporters to do our work. In order to publish Arcology: The City in the Image of Man, we need your support! Your contribution to this campaign will guarantee that we can continue empowering the world to imagine a more sustainable and connected future for our urban environments.Don’t miss out on this exciting opportunity to be a part of Arcosanti’s history and continued legacy!
Google CardboardGoogle is reportedly developing an “all-in-one virtual reality headset” that runs independent of a smartphone, games console or computer.According to the Wall Street Journal, the new VR headset will include a screen, high-power chips from startup Movidius and outward-facing cameras that track the motion of the user’s head.Citing people familiar with its plans, the paper said that Google will aim to provide a quality experience not tethered to a PC or console with the new headset.It also claimed that Google plans to develop a “more advanced” version of tis low-cost Google Cardboard VR reader, which acts as a cradle for a smartphone. This new plastic viewer will include chips and censors, according to the WSJ.The news follows a report earlier this month saying that Google-owned YouTube is planning to add support for 360-degree live-streamed video, in its latest push into the VR space.It was also recently claimed that Apple has built prototype VR headsets in a bid to take on rival devices like Facebook’s Oculus Rift headset or Microsoft’s Hololens device.In January, Google is understood to have set up a dedicated VR division and appointed company executive Clay Bavor to run the unit.
“Not only will Haggerty walk free but he has named none of the police officers who were involved in collusion on a grand scale.“It is unacceptable that so many innocent people died and those with blood on their hands get a ‘discount’ on their sentences while their minders go free.“I sat in court today with families as atrocity after atrocity committed by Haggarty was catalogued.“It was harrowing and a reminder of the pain that victims and survivors continue to endure as a result of a political failure to meet their needs,” added Mr Dallat. With time spent on remand, Haggarty could be free within weeks if Life Sentence Parole Commissioners agree to release him on licence.DALLAT: VICTIMS LET DOWN BY ‘SUPERGRASS’ HAGGARTY SENTENCE was last modified: January 29th, 2018 by John2John2 Tags: BELFAST CROWN COURTDALLAT: VICTIMS LET DOWN BY ‘SUPERGRASS’ HAGGARTY SENTENCEEAST DERRYGARY HAGGARTYJOHN DALLATPPSPSNISDLP MLAN SDLP MLA John Dallat has said that victims are sorely disappointed and feel let down by the scale of the reduced sentence handed down to former UVF chief Gary Haggarty for his involvement in hundreds of crimes, including five murders.The 46-year-old former UVF commander was handed a life tariff sentence of 35 years for after pleading guilty to 202 terrorist offences including string of murders attempted murders, conspiracy to murder, shootings, bombings, beatings and directing terrorism.But because he became a British state ‘supergrass’ the judge reduced that sentence to six and a half years. Speaking from Belfast’s Crown Court today, alongside victims, Mr Dallat said:“Relatives of those murdered by UVF death gangs with the involvement of Gary Haggarty don’t believe they got justice in Court 13 today.“While they were prepared for some ‘discount’ for Haggerty they didn’t expect the scale of the reduction he has received for a series of heinous murders.“After committing despicable crimes, it feels like he’s been given a ‘get out of jail free’ card. ShareTweet
This morning hundreds of people are marched alongside Bloody Sunday families through the City Centre as they went to the City Hotel to find out the PPS decision on soldier prosecutions.Many family members held up photographs of their loved ones, while others carry a banner declaring: ‘Towards Justice.’A number of political representatives have joined the march, including SDLP leader Colm Eastwood, Sinn Féin leader in the North Michelle O’Neill, local councillors and local Sinn Fein MP Elisha McCallion.During the march, The families paused to sing a verse of ‘We Shall Overcome.’The PPS has been considering if the evidential test for prosecution has been met based on ballistics, witness evidence and statements the soldiers made in the aftermath of the killings to Royal Military Police. Following the Saville Inquiry, the PSNI’s Legacy Investigation Branch carried out a separate probe into the murders before submitting files to the PPS.Members of the Parachute Regiment also gave oral evidence to the Widgery tribunal and made statements in 1972 to the Treasury Solicitors Department, a government body that provided legal services to the Ministry of Defence.Soldiers who gave evidence to Lord Saville during the Bloody Sunday Inquiry were granted anonymity and assured if they incriminated themselves it could not be used in any subsequent criminal proceedings.However, none of the soldiers incriminated themselves to Lord Saville, most claiming to have little or no recollection of events on the day when 13 people were shot dead, a 14th person dying months later from his injuries.Soldier G who shot 22-year-old Jim Wray in the back as he lay on the ground injured at Glenfada Park, and is thought to have shot dead father-of-eight Gerry McKinney, has since died.Soldier O, who has given a number of interviews to the BBC, controversially disputing Saville’s findings and maintaining it was a “job well done” is not expected to face prosecution.Soldier F, who it has been previously alleged was linked to a number of shootings on Bloody Sunday, is among those expected to face charges.Killed on Bloody Sunday: The victimsBreaking News: Only one soldier to face murder charges over Bloody Sunday killings was last modified: March 15th, 2019 by John2John2 Tags: Bloody Sunday relatives on the march for justice this morning in DerryTHE Public Prosecution Service has revealed that if plans to charge only one solder with over the 14 murders of unarmed civilians on Bloody Sunday, January 1972.The news was first broken to the relatives of the victims during a private briefing in Derry this morning at 10 am by senior PPS officials in Derry’s City Hotel. An hour later, the decision to prosecute the soldiers was announced to the media at an 11 briefing in The Guildhall.The PPS said it will prosecute Soldier F with the murders of James Wray and William McKinney and the attempted murders of four others – Joseph Friel, Michael Quinn, Joe Mahon and Patrick O’Donnell.It said today that there was insufficient evidence to charge other soldiers with murders or attempted murders.The PPS also announced that two former members of the Official IRA will also not face charges. ShareTweet Breaking News: Only one soldier to face murder charges over Bloody Sunday killings