Suheldev Bhartiya Samaj Party (SBSP) chief Om Prakash Rajbhar, who had warned of parting ways with the National Democratic Alliance over the sub-quota demand, said on Friday the matter would be taken up with BJP president Amit Shah next week. Mr. Rajbhar, the Backward Class Minister in the Bharatiya Janata Party government in Uttar Pradesh, has been vocal about implementing an expert group recommendation on subcategorisation of the 27% Other Backward Class reservation into three categories to benefit the most-backward castes. “A meeting with the BJP president Amit Shah has been fixed for March 4 (Monday) during which all issues, including the implementation of social justice committee recommendations will be taken up,” Mr. Rajbhar told reporters after a programme at Rasra in Ballia district. “The matter over continuation in the alliance with the BJP has not yet been resolved,” the SBSP leader said.Mr. Rajbhar had earlier threatened to part ways with the BJP if recommendations of the social justice committee were not implemented by February 24, but had later decided to defer a decision in view of the meeting with BJP leadership.Office allotment Besides the implementation of the recommendations, the SBSP chief has also been demanding an office for his party in Lucknow.
“If you believe in yourself, then anything can happen,” she said. “But of course semis is, ‘Wow.’”She’s the first Belgian since Kim Clijsters in 2012 to reach the semifinals in Australia, and knew she had plenty of support at home.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“Kim, thanks for watching, I knew you sent me a message before the match — don’t be too stressy,” said Mertens, who trains at Clijsters’ academy. “I’m trying to be in your footsteps this week.”The No. 37-ranked Mertens successfully defended her Hobart International title — she decided last year to target that title instead of entering Open qualifying — two weeks ago, and has now won five matches at Melbourne Park. Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa LATEST STORIES Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Read Next Harden’s 28 help Rockets rally for 99-90 win over Heat Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games PLAY LIST 00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC MOST READ Svitolina framed an attempted overhead and hit it over the baseline to give Mertens match point, and the 22-year-old Belgian finished it with a backhand crosscourt winner to advance to her first major semifinal.Mertens was one of the biggest movers on the women’s tour in 2017 as she improved her year-end ranking from 120 to 35 and won her first career title.In the semis, she’ll play either second-seeded Caroline Wozniacki or Carla Suarez Navarro.In other quarterfinals, top-seeded Rafael Nadal was playing No. 6 Marin Cilic and No. 3 Grigor Dimitrov faced Kyle Edmund.In other news, No 32-seeded Mischa Zverev was fined $45,000 for a poor performance in his first-round match against Hyeon Chung, the largest penalty ever assessed to an individual during a major.Zverev was punished under a new rule implemented by the Grand Slam Board in the off-season intended to deter players with pre-existing injuries to start a tournament and retired from their first-round matches.Zverev was trailing Chung 2-6, 1-4 on the first day when he retired. His fine of $45,000 nearly equals his first-round prize money of 60,000 Australian dollars ($47,900).Zverev’s fine was the largest ever assessed to a player for an on-site Grand Slam offense. Other players have been fined larger amounts following a Grand Slam tournament, such as Serena Williams’ $82,500 fine in 2009 for her tirade at a U.S. Open line judge.Italian player Fabio Fognini was fined $96,000 last year after insulting a chair umpire at the U.S. Open, an amount that could be reduced to $48,000 if he doesn’t have any further offences over the next two years.The new rule came in response to a rash of first-round retirements at Wimbledon last year. View comments 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Mertens dominated against Svitolina, who also entered her first quarterfinal in Australia on a nine-match winning roll after winning the Brisbane International two week ago.Svitolina had won their only previous tour-level match, but had no answers on Rod Laver Arena and later said hip trouble had been bothering her all year.“She played great from the beginning of the year,” Svitolina said. “But, you know, when I give her opportunities to play and to play a good level, then of course she’s going to play. She’s going to go for shots.“Now she’s in semifinal. Now she’s not just a player that’s up and down. She’s quite consistent, and we can see this.”Mertens raced out to a 5-2 in the first set before Svitolina got her only service break. The second set was no contest. Mertens won a 27-point rally while holding serve in the fourth game, then hit a backhand winner into the open corner to break Svitolina in the next game for a 5-0 lead.ADVERTISEMENT Belgium’s Elise Mertens celebrates after defeating Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina in their quarterfinal at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia, Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2018. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara)MELBOURNE, Australia — A year after opting out of qualifying for the Australian Open, Elise Mertens has reached the semifinals in her debut at the season-opening Grand Slam.Mertens upset fourth-seeded Elina Svitolina 6-4, 6-0 on Tuesday to extend her winning streak to 10 matches and be the first woman through to the semifinals at Melbourne Park.ADVERTISEMENT NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers
In addition to the subscription campaigns, Need attributes the revenue spike to a pair of sponsored meet-and-greet events with magazine staff and two topical speaking events featuring Need contributors and members of local organizations. Need also is planning Street Music for Street Kids concert later this month and a “Your Powers for Good” events series.“The idea behind the events was to not only promote Need but to accomplish it through furthering our end mission of assisting humanitarian organizations and those in need,” founder and executive director Kelly Kinnunen said.Need launched the ScrewTheMan, SaveTheWorld intiative—which was inspired by Paste’s Save Paste campaign—in an effort to generate 25,000 new subscribers, which would more than double Need’s current circulation of 19,000. If successful, Need said it would eliminate all commercial advertisingfor one year and replace the allocated advertising pages with storiesof how readers are involved in saving the world.The Who Cares? campaign is intended to drive bulk subscription orders. “The average single order sale is up by $12 from last quarter, so each person is ordering more,” Stephanie Kinnunen said. Despite the revenue boost, though, she said the magazine has secured only “a fraction” of the new subscriptions needed to meet its ambitious goal. Minneapolis, Minnesota-based “humanitarian” magazine Need has seen some positive results from its ScrewTheMan, SaveTheWorld and Who Cares? subscription campaigns. So far—through the June, July and August period—the magazine has seen subscription revenue jump nearly 900 percent from the same period last year.“This has been amazing considering it is summer which is normally bad and we have not had a magazine out since early February,” editor-in-chief Stephanie Kinnunen told FOLIO:. Usually carrying a quarterly frequency, Need hopes to print its next edition by mid- to late-November.
Exotic Cars Performance Cars 10:08 More From Roadshow 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet first drive: The uber-roadster 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better 0 Share your voice 2020 Lotus Evora GT first drive: A reminder to drive Now playing: Watch this: Enlarge ImageIt doesn’t look like it’s legal to drive on public roads, but that’s half the fun of it. BAC The BAC Mono is part of a weird corner of the automotive industry that makes race cars legal enough to be driven on the road. It’s an absolutely wild car, and now, at the 2019 Goodwood Festival of Speed, there’s a new one that’s even more bonkers than the car that preceded it.BAC on Thursday unveiled the new Mono R, heralding the second generation of the company’s road-legal track toy. It’s lighter than before, but it’s also more powerful than before, which means its performance should easily trounce its forebear. The whole package weighs just 1,224 pounds in its R form, which is ridiculously light and also some 55 pounds lighter than the standard Mono. All that weight savings comes from a confluence of lightweight parts, including a magnesium chassis, magnesium transmission parts, carbon-ceramic brakes, a titanium exhaust system, lighter AP Racing brakes and a carbon fiber floor. The body panels are also made of carbon fiber. BAC Mono R unveiled at 2019 Goodwood Festival of Speed BAC Mono R is somehow more hardcore than before 30 Photos Post a comment Tags Goodwood Festival of Speed 2019 Speaking of the body panels, the new Mono doesn’t look too different compared to its predecessor, sporting the same wildly styled look that’s more at home on a racing circuit than your local village road. But BAC has paid extra attention to the aerodynamics, growing wider side pods while improving the efficiency of its rear wing. LED headlights up front keep things nice and bright, because when you’re going that fast, you need all the help you can get. (Maybe save the high-speed antics for the daytime.)Under the body is a 2.5-liter I4 producing about 340 horsepower, about 35 more than the standard Mono. That extra power comes from a larger cylinder bore, a shorter crankshaft stroke, a new air intake, revised throttle bodies and a tweaked cylinder head. It should be even better to drive, too, thanks to revised suspension geometry that reduces body movements under braking and a gas tank that helps lower the center of gravity closer to the core of the planet.If you’re looking at this and thinking, “Man, I need one,” I hate to say it but you’re out of luck. Only 30 BAC Mono R models will be built, and all of them were offered to existing Mono owners around the world, so they’re now sold out. Better luck next time?
Share AP Photo/J. Scott ApplewhiteSpeaker of the House Paul Ryan, R-Wis., joined from left by, Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash., Rep. John Rutherford, R-Fla., and Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., meets with reporters following a GOP strategy session, at the Capitol in Washington, Wednesday, March 14, 2018. Rep. Rutherford, a former sheriff of Duval County, Fla., introduced a bill, the “STOP School Violence Act of 2018,” that would attempt to curb school violence by providing more training for school officials and local law enforcement to respond to mental health crises. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)The House overwhelmingly approved a bill to improve school safety Wednesday, the first gun-related action by Congress since the shooting that left 17 dead at a Florida high school.The bill authorizes $500 million over 10 years for grants to improve training and coordination between schools and local law enforcement and help identify signs of potential violence before they occur.Lawmakers approved the bill, 407-10. It now goes to the Senate, where a similar measure is being considered.House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said the bill “provides a multi-layered approach” to identify threats so authorities can stop violence before it occurs.“Tragic violence has no place in our schools. Every American believes that,’” Ryan said. “This legislation will actually take concrete action to prevent that.”The vote came as the FBI announced it is doubling the number of supervisors assigned to review tips received from the public about possible threats of mass shootings or other violence.Deputy FBI Director David Bowdich told a Senate committee that the agency “could have and should have done more” to investigate information it received prior to the Feb. 14 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.The FBI received at least two credible tips that the suspect in the Florida school shooting had a “desire to kill” and access to guns and could be plotting an attack, but agents failed to investigate.“While we will never know if any such investigative activity would have prevented this tragedy, we clearly should have done more,” Bowdich told the Senate Judiciary Committee.The Senate panel was considering a similar proposal to improve school safety, but a hearing Wednesday focused on law enforcement failures in Florida. Besides the FBI lapses, Broward County, Florida Sheriff Scott Israel has said his office received more than 20 calls about accused gunman Nikolas Cruz in the past few yearsSen. Charles Grassley, the Republican chairman of the committee, noted that Israel declined an invitation to testify Wednesday, as did Michael Carroll, secretary of Florida’s Department of Children and Families.“By thumbing their noses at Congress, Sheriff Israel and Secretary Carroll have let the American people down and also the citizens of Florida they serve,” said Grassley, R-Iowa.Some Democratic lawmakers sought to expand the focus to include gun control. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said more and more families are being victimized by mass shootings since a ban on certain semi-automatic weapons she authored expired in 2004.“This Congress cannot continue to do nothing, because nothing means more lives are lost, including the youngest and the most vulnerable among us,” said Feinstein, the senior Democrat on the Judiciary panel. “High school students are literally begging us to take action to get these guns off the streets and out of our schools.”As Feinstein spoke, hundreds of students were rallying outside the Capitol to urge stricter gun control laws. The rally was part of a nationwide school walkout to protest gun violence following the Florida attack. A larger rally is planned March 24.Chloe Appel, 15, of Gaithersburg, Maryland, held a sign that said, “Fix this before I text my mom from under a desk.” The high school student said she’s hopeful that Congress will enact gun control laws.“After today and after the next protest Congress will see how many people feel strongly about this so they will have to make a change,” she said.Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders told the students that young people again are leading the nation, as they did during the civil rights and anti-war movements.“All across the country people are sick and tired of gun violence, and the time is now for all of us together to stand up to the NRA and pass common-sense gun legislation,” Sanders said.The FBI has acknowledged it mishandled separate tips related to Cruz, last September and again in January.“When we make mistakes, we will not hide them,” Bowdich said, vowing to work with Congress to correct mistakes and prevent similar tragedies.Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said the FBI gets about 4,100 tips a day at its nationwide call centers with a staff of about 160 to handle them. More people should be dedicated to that task, Durbin said.President Donald Trump supports the school safety measure, one of two bills included in a modest White House plan released over the weekend to combat school shootings. The other bill would strengthen, but not expand, the federal background check system for gun purchases.The background checks bill has stalled in the Senate amid objections from some Republicans and concern by Democrats that it is insufficient. Without strong advocacy from the White House, an ambitious gun package appeared unlikely to even get off the ground, given most Republicans’ opposition to any new restrictions on gun rights.Ryan Petty, whose daughter, Alaina, was killed in the Parkland shooting, told senators that, “Nikolas Cruz and the deadly danger he posed were the worst-kept secrets in Parkland.”Petty, his voice shaking with emotion, called on lawmakers to follow the lead of Florida, which just passed legislation that raises the minimum age to buy rifles from 18 to 21; extends a three-day waiting period for handgun purchases to include long guns; and bans bump stocks, which allow guns to mimic fully automatic fire.“Build on common ground,” Petty said.