Political parties in the State are making sure their ground-level staffers are primed for the forthcoming general elections. While the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is micro-planning by appointing ‘panna-pramukhs’ across the State, the Shiv Sena’s new handbook for ‘gatpramukhs’, the lowest level in the organisational hierarchy, is doing the rounds. It spells out tasks designated to around 25,000 gatpramukhs across Maharashtra. Panna pramukhs, on the other hand, are workers who will come in contact with voters who are on the electoral list.The Shiv Sena has published a special handbook which details the work expected from a gatpramukh. This includes keeping tabs on the voter’s list; keeping a record of the voters who have migrated or are dead; keeping a record of voters who have traditionally voted for the Sena and those who tilt towards other parties; communicating the party programme, initiatives and schemes to voters in the area; maintaining a cordial relationship with voters, ensuring their problems are solved; taking a lead in finding a solution to possible quarrels, and maintaining a clean image. These individuals are also tasked with continuously informing ward presidents and deputies about issues in the area assigned to them. “One might find the concept of the panna-pramukh very interesting, but the Shiv Sena has been implementing it successfully for over two decades. The gatpramukh is the reason the Sena is directly connected to voters across wards in Mumbai,” said a senior Sena leader. As per the party’s organisational structure, a gatpramukh is the lowest-ranking official but one of its most important; he or she maintains contact with voters in 15 to 20 houses on a daily basis. Sensing that all parties, especially the BJP, are focusing on micro-planning, the Sena too is investing more in its gatpramukh.According to the Sena leader, the party has appointed over 25,000 gatpramukhs across the State. “Each one of them is tasked with 15 to 20 families. They will be involved in everything from maintaining cordial relationships with them to bringing them out to vote. This isn’t new for us. The system has been in place in a majority of 48 Lok Sabha constituencies.”
Suheldev Bhartiya Samaj Party (SBSP) chief Om Prakash Rajbhar, who had warned of parting ways with the National Democratic Alliance over the sub-quota demand, said on Friday the matter would be taken up with BJP president Amit Shah next week. Mr. Rajbhar, the Backward Class Minister in the Bharatiya Janata Party government in Uttar Pradesh, has been vocal about implementing an expert group recommendation on subcategorisation of the 27% Other Backward Class reservation into three categories to benefit the most-backward castes. “A meeting with the BJP president Amit Shah has been fixed for March 4 (Monday) during which all issues, including the implementation of social justice committee recommendations will be taken up,” Mr. Rajbhar told reporters after a programme at Rasra in Ballia district. “The matter over continuation in the alliance with the BJP has not yet been resolved,” the SBSP leader said.Mr. Rajbhar had earlier threatened to part ways with the BJP if recommendations of the social justice committee were not implemented by February 24, but had later decided to defer a decision in view of the meeting with BJP leadership.Office allotment Besides the implementation of the recommendations, the SBSP chief has also been demanding an office for his party in Lucknow.
Advertisement Facebook Advertisement Scratchatopia Films is proud to announce that award-winning independent animator Steven Woloshen (The Babble on Palms, Crossing Victoria) has been selected to receive the coveted René Jodoin Award for outstanding lifetime achievement in animation at the 2016 Sommets du cinéma d’animation in Montreal. This year’s recipient was announced today by Marco de Blois, Artistic Director at the Sommets du cinéma d’animation, and Marcel Jean, Executive Director of the Cinémathèque québécoise. Woloshen has directed and produced over 40 animated and experimental films since 1982, including his latest work, Casino, a musical short which will premiere at the award ceremony.The René Jodoin Award, named in honour of the renowned filmmaker and founder of the National Film Board of Canada’s French animation studio, recognizes the exemplary work of a Canadian figure in animation. Last year’s recipient was NFB Academy Award-winning producer, Marcy Page. As one of the highlights of the 16th Sommets du cinéma d’animation, the award will be presented at an informal ceremony at the Cinémathèque québécoise, Salle Norman McLaren (official times TBD). For further information on this and other awards to be presented at the festival, please visit their website: http://www.cinematheque.qc.ca/en/sommets/jury-and-prizes.Steven Woloshen, considered one of the masters of hand-drawn, cameraless animation, has received several awards for 1000 Plateaus (2004-2014) (2014) and Cameras Take Five (2003), in addition to being nominated three times for Best Animation at the Gala du cinéma québécois for Playtime (2009), Two Eastern Hairlines (2004) and Curse of the Voodoo Child (2005). He has also been twice nominated for Canada’s Governor General’s Award in Media Arts, received the Avi and Dora Morrow Fellowship while completing his master’s degree at Concordia University, and was awarded the 2015 Prize of the Cultural Office of the City of Wiesbaden, Germany. He is the author of two practical manuals on handmade filmmaking techniques, Recipes for Reconstruction: The Cookbook for the Frugal Filmmaker, published in 2010, and Scratch, Crackle & Pop! A Whole Grains Approach to Making Films Without a Camera, published in 2015 (also available in French: Scratch! Crac! et Pop! Une méthode simple et conviviale pour réaliser des films sans caméra). LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Login/Register With: Twitter
Each publisher has approached tablets at its own pace, with its own purpose. The result has left a scattered set of protocols across the industry.The International Digital Enterprise Alliance (IDEAlliance), an association serving players across the digital media supply chain, is attempting to simplify the process of tablet issue production by eliminating many of the competing formats and workflows. The goal is an industry standard called OpenEFT—guidelines to direct the packaging, delivery and display of digital magazines for everyone in the ecosystem. OpenEFT’s final draft was unveiled late last month.“We, as publishers, would like to be able to provide a designed-for-tablet, interactive edition to all the newsstands,” says Sean Keefe, executive director of publishing technology for Hearst Magazines. “But right now, not all of them take the same file formats.”The benefits for publishers are two-fold. Tablet issue production would become a more efficient process, while the barriers to third-party innovation would be lowered. Tablet issue production can be convoluted now. Hearst currently produces up to three formats (and several variants) of its magazines, depending on the brand and the newsstand they’re working with; Next Issue Media, a digital newsstand, is forced to adapt about six formats for its storefront. Many of those conversions are labor intensive and require quality assurance testing at multiple points.Ideally, says Keith Barraclough, CTO and vice president of products for Next Issue, the exchange of files would be simplified, QA would only be needed once and the process could be automated.“Whether OpenEFT can do all this as it goes through its standardization process and tools and manufacturers come along and adopt, that’s all a big ‘TBD,’” he says. “But that’s the nirvana we’re looking for.”An open specification already exists, called ePub, but it was built to handle books, not magazines.“The orientation toward imagery, layout and the subtlety of the navigation of a magazine is something that’s evolved more,” Barraclough says.While Dianne Kennedy, vice president of emerging technologies for IDEAlliance, says OpenEFT is closely modeled after ePub, she adds that the need for tablet-optimized ad units is another major reason the book-centric format needed to be tweaked for digital magazines.Magazine staff have to manipulate the units from the agency, often without being exactly sure of how the final product was supposed to render. The costs and confusion make their use rare.“Magazines, unlike books, rely a lot on the ad model,” Kennedy says. “There is no specification for the exchange and rendering of this interactive content, so the magazines have been limiting the number of interactive ads they will accept.”Regardless of how or why they started with tablet editions, publishers will agree that improving production efficiency is beneficial.Now, it’s up to them to adopt the standard.
The federal government’s chief auditor has recommended Congress consider developing legislation to beef up consumers’ internet data privacy protections. much like the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation. The recommendation was included in a 56-page report (PDF) issued Wednesday by the Government Accountability Office, the government agency that provides auditing, evaluation and investigative services for Congress. The report was prepared at the request two years ago by Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (D-N.J.), chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which has scheduled a hearing to discuss the subject for Feb. 26.”Since I requested this report, the need for comprehensive data privacy and security legislation at the federal level has only become more apparent,” Pallone said in a statement. “From the Cambridge Analytica scandal to the unauthorized disclosures of real-time location data, consumers’ privacy is being violated online and offline in alarming and dangerous ways.” In making its recommendation, the GAO cited Facebook’s Cambridge Analytica scandal, saying the episode was just one of many recent internet privacy incidents in which users’ personal data may have been improperly disclosed. The GAO suggests giving the Federal Trade Commission more authority over internet privacy enforcement but also raised concerns about the commission’s enforcement abilities. Noting that the FTC is already the de facto authority over internet privacy in the US, the GAO found that the FTC filed 101 internet privacy enforcement actions in the past decade. Nearly all of those cases resulted in settlement agreements, and in most cases, no fines were issued because the FTC lacked the authority in those cases. “Recent developments regarding Internet privacy suggest that this is an appropriate time for Congress to consider comprehensive Internet privacy legislation,” the GAO report said. “Although FTC has been addressing Internet privacy through its unfair and deceptive practices authority, among other statutes, and other agencies have been addressing this issue using industry-specific statutes, there is no comprehensive federal privacy statute with specific standards.”The report was issued a day before news emerged that the FTC and Facebook were negotiating a multibillion-dollar fine to settle an investigation into the social network’s privacy practices. The exact amount hasn’t been determined, but it would be the largest fine ever imposed by the agency.The FTC began investigating Facebook last year after it was revealed that Cambridge Analytica, a digital consultancy linked to the Trump presidential campaign, improperly accessed data from as many as 87 million Facebook users. The agency is looking into whether Facebook’s actions violated a 2011 agreement with the government in which it pledged to improve its privacy practices. Facebook has said it didn’t violate the consent decree. Creating a US internet privacy law like the GDPR has won some support from tech leaders. Apple CEO Tim Cook has praised the effective data privacy regulation and said he supports a “comprehensive federal data privacy law” in the US.”It is up to us, including my home country, to follow your lead,” he told the European Parliament in October. 3 Tags Tech Industry Security Comments Share your voice Privacy
Apple hasn’t acknowledged the issue. iFixit noted that a repair would require a full screen replacement — costing $700 — because the cable is soldered to the display controller board.However, the site reported on Monday that the 2018 MacBook Pro has a display cable that’s 2mm longer, potentially solving the problem because it’s under less strain as the laptop opens. iFixit engineer Taylor Dixon noted that he hadn’t experienced the issue for himself, so he couldn’t confirm the cause or whether it’s solved.Apple didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.First published March 5, 5:28 a.m. PT.Updated March 6, 2:42 a.m. PT: Adds iFixit photo. Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it 1 Preview • Apple takes light-touch approach to 13-inch MacBook Pro update See All $1,399 Now playing: Watch this: Mentioned Above Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (13-inch, space gray, 2017) Apple’s new 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro See it Apple Best Buy Tips for improving battery life on your MacBook Teardown site iFixit reports that 2018 MacBook Pros have a longer display flex cable than older models. iFixit Apple apparently altered a part its 2018 MacBook Pro to address the “flexgate” problem, a teardown site reported.Thousands of people complained about the issue in a petition started last year, saying it caused problems with the backlight — from a “stage light” effect at the bottom to a completely dead backlight — in MacBook Pros from 2016 onward.The underlying cause was suspected to be the deterioration of a thin display flex cable that runs through the hinge due to repeated opening and closing of the laptop over several years, iFixit reported back in January. • 2:35 Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar 34 Photos Sep 1 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 reading • Apple’s 2018 MacBook Pros try to fix ‘flexgate’ problem, report says Comment CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Share your voice See It $1,184 Tags Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? Laptops Apple
Bangladesh Nationalist Party secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir. File PhotoBNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Monday said their movement will continue until a people’s government is installed through a fresh election under a nonparty caretaker government, reports UNB.”People no longer trust Awami League for looting democracy, led by Sheikh Hasina. They’ve now turned into an enemy of the people,” he said while addressing a protest rally in Lalmonirhat.The rally was organised protesting the killing of Tozammel Hossain, environment affairs secretary of Rajpur union unit BNP in Sadar upazila who was killed reportedly by AL men on the voting day.Fakhrul, also the spokesperson of Jatiya Oikya Front, expressed sorrow for the ruling party saying, “The party which fought for democracy and under the leadership of which the Liberation War took place has now looted democracy under the leadership of Sheikh Hasina.”He also said BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia who had fought for democracy has been kept in jail in ‘fabricated’ cases.The BNP leader alleged that Awami League put seals on the ballot papers the night before the election day with the help of the ‘state machinery’, including police, RAB, BGB, UNOs and DCs while Awami League ‘cadres’ resorted to vote robbery in public on the voting day.He said the Jatiya Oikya Front together with people will overthrow the ‘demonic’ government.Addressing the programme, Krishak Sramik Janata League (KSJL) president Kader Siddiqui alleged that a stigmatised history of best vote robbery in the world was created through the 30 December election. “Had we not joined the election, it could not have been proved that Hasina is the world’s best vote robber.”Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal president ASM Abdur Rob claimed that if any award is given for vote robbery, it will go to Sheikh Hasina.Gonoshasthya Kendra founder Zafrullah Chowdhury also spoke at the rally.