The San Francisco Board of Supervisors’ vote to approve a ban on selling e-cigarettes was unanimous. Bill O’Leary/The Washington Post via Getty Images San Francisco has banned the sale of e-cigarettes like Juul, with the board of supervisors voting unanimously to approve the ordinance Tuesday. It’s the first city to implement such a ban. E-cigarettes are battery-operated, converting flavored liquid nicotine into a vapor inhaled by the user. Juul, headquartered in San Francisco, has been making headlines after its popularity among teenagers forced it to shutter its social media presence late last year while the FDA investigated concerns it was promoting underage use of tobacco products. “We spent the ’90s battling Big Tobacco. And now we see its new form through e-cigarettes,” supervisor Shamann Walton said Tuesday, according to the San Francisco Examiner. “I am not going to put profits of Big Tobacco over the health of our children and our young people.” Read more: How to quit Juuling, according to addiction experts Tags Share your voice In response to Juul’s PR push to absolve itself for creating the youth e-cig epidemic (teen e-cig use spiked 78% last year), we’ve launched an ad campaign that tells the truth:Juul enticed kids with sweet flavors like mango and mint, then hooked them with a strong nicotine hit. pic.twitter.com/bQDreyn06f— Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (@TobaccoFreeKids) June 25, 2019 Juul controversy “Juul enticed kids with sweet flavors like mango, creme and mint, then hooked them with a strong nicotine hit,” the poster says. “Last year, teen e-cigarette use spiked 78%. It’s an epidemic.” Kwong said Juul has already taken “aggressive actions” to prevent underage purchasing of its products, like online age verification and its halting of sales of non-tobacco and non-menthol flavored pods across the nation last year. He also pointed to Juul shutting down its Facebook and Instagram accounts. The ordinance was also opposed by corner store owners, according to the Examiner, with the Small Business Commission arguing it’d cost $70 million in sales for the 738 businesses that sell vapes in San Francisco. Read more: Vaping might ruin your smile, permanentlyThe board of supervisors didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment, but CNET sister site CBS News said the ordinance now awaits Mayor London Breed’s signature and will take effect six months after that. Offending retailers could be fined $1,000. “San Francisco has never been afraid to lead,” City Attorney Dennis Herrera said. “Youth vaping is an epidemic. If the federal government is not going to act to protect our kids, San Francisco will.” San Francisco in May was also the first city to ban its police officers from using facial recognition technology, citing a breach of citizens’ civil liberties. Culture Gadgets Politics Legal The ordinance was introduced in March. It prohibits the sale of e-cigarettes that require, but have not received, FDA approval for marketing. The ban will create a “black market” for vapes, Ted Kwong, a Juul Labs spokesperson, told CNET in an emailed statement. Regulation rather than prohibition would be more effective, he said. “This full prohibition will drive former adult smokers who successfully switched to vapor products back to deadly cigarettes,” Kwong said. “In San Francisco, we are supporting efforts going forward to enact new strict regulation and enforcement.” Regulations could include mandatory electronic ID scanning to verify age, restricting bulk purchasing to prevent third-party reselling of vapes, city permits for online vape retailers and marketing restrictions, Juul suggested.The ordinance’s passage follows the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids earlier Tuesday tweeting a poster accusing Juul of “luring” children to use its products by offering flavors like mango and mint. Juul vaporizer: What is it, why are teens addicted and is it safe? How to quit Juuling, according to addiction experts Juul is shutting down on social media, halting retail orders for flavored pods Juul is giving users tools to help them quit its e-cigs 12 Photos 3 Meet the smart vapes: App-enabled vaporizers seek to cash in on cannabis Comments
Lord’s would be the venue of 2019 World Cup finalTwitter/Lord’s Cricket GroundWith India’s World Cup squad now finalised, the focus turns to assessing their strengths and weaknesses. England is one of the most difficult places to predict the conditions. It takes just fifteen minutes for the weather to change and batting-friendly conditions to become severely testing. It’s helpful to look at the grounds which would be hosting India’s matches and the bowlers who may be key to their success on them.Indian begins their campaign on June 5 against South Africa at Hampshire Bowl. Their last round-robin game would be on July 6 against Sri Lanka. The nine matches India will compete in, before the semi-final stage gets underway, would be hosted by six grounds: Hampshire Bowl, The Oval, Nottingham, Old Trafford, Edgbaston and Headingley.It has to be remembered that, like most grounds around the world, pitches for ODI cricket in England too, have become very flat. So, the conditions will not be as challenging as they once would have been. Still, there are some unique qualities and challenges that each ground possesses. Let’s look at the six venues that will host India’s matches and their unique characteristics.Hampshire Bowl vs South Africa, AfghanistanIt’s very hard to predict what this venue will produce. It can be anything from a spin-friendly track to one assisting pacers. The nature of the pitch would be known only on the playing day. A well-rounded attack would probably be the best option.The Oval vs Australia This is usually a dry pitch, especially towards the end of the season. But since the World Cup is being played in mid-season, the pitch won’t be that dry. Still, it may help the spinners. India may well bring in Ravindra Jadeja as a spin-bowling all-rounder for this one.Nottingham vs New Zealand In Tests, this is the happy hunting ground of James Anderson. So, as you can understand, the ball moves around here. However, a lot would depend upon the overhead conditions. Since the ICC would be in charge of pitch preparation, it’s unlikely that there would be any grass on the wicket. Any cloud cover, though, may tempt India to bring in Hardik Pandya as the fourth seamer.Old Trafford vs Pakistan, Windies Old Trafford is one of the grounds that will host India’s matches in the World CupTwitter/Keaton JenningsAt Old Trafford, the ball may move around, but not in a conventional way. Reverse swing, rather than orthodox variety, can be a potent weapon which makes Mohammed Shami a good option to have. Additionally, bounce can be another factor as the pitch is usually quite hard. Jasprit Bumrah may play a key role for India here due to his ability of bowling a good bouncer.Edgbaston vs England, BangladeshQuite simply, one of the best batting pitches in England. Indian pacers will have their task cut out on this track. Spinners can be effective but they would have to bowl well. Kuldeep Yadav may be the man for India here.Headingley vs Sri Lanka In the old days, this pitch used to test a batsman’s technique as well as his mental strength. The ball will do something for the seamers, especially if there is cloud over. Shami and Bhuvneshwar will be the dangerous bowlers for the opposition.The final would be played at Lords. Traditionally, a decent batsman-friendly wicket and one that should be even more so without any grass allowed by ICC. The timing of the match in mid-season will also prevent it from being too dry.
REUTERS/Darren OrnitzFormer Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj passed away at the age of 67 after suffering a cardiac arrest on Tuesday night. During her tenure as a minister, she was very much active on social media and was always offering help. But, she shares an interesting connection with Afghanistani spinner Rashid Khan. During the 2018 season of IPL, Sunrisers Hyderabad faced the Kolkata Knight Riders in a much-awaited clash at the Eden Gardens in the second qualifier of the tournament. The match had a nail-biting finish and Rashid Khan delivered a stand-out performance. The 20-year-old cricketer scored 34 runs off 10 balls and also finished with impressive figures of three wickets for just 19 runs in his quota of four overs.The Afghan all-rounder became the biggest topic of discussion on Twitter that day and there were demands for him to be given Indian citizenship. Then foreign minister Sushma Swaraj took to twitter and made a witty comment. Rashid Khan.IANS”I have seen all the tweets. Citizenship matters are dealt with by Ministry of Home affairs,” her tweet read.In response to that Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani stated that they were not going to let Rashid go and also appreciated India for giving the Afghani players a platform to perform and prove themselves.”Afghans take absolute pride in our hero, Rashid Khan. I am also thankful to our Indian friends for giving our players a platform to show their skills. Rashid reminds us what’s best about Afghanistan. He remains an asset to the cricketing world. No we are not giving him away,” his tweet read.This was not the first time that Swaraj spoke about Afghanistan’s success in international cricket. Earlier in an interview with the PTI, she praised their efforts.”The fact that Afghanistan attained the status of a Test-playing cricket nation is a testament to the indomitable spirit of the people of Afghanistan to not let the forces of death and destruction prevail,” she told PTI.