Revival process KOLKATA, India (CMC): Embattled West Indies Cricket Board president Dave Cameron believes the region’s recent success on the international stage shows that West Indies cricket is on the rise again. He has also given the assurance that the recent pay dispute with players has been “amicably settled”. He was speaking on Friday after West Indies beat tournament favourites India on Thursday to reach the final of the Twenty20 World Cup for the second time in three competitions. West Indies Women also advanced to the final of the T20 World Cup for the first time when they defeated New Zealand Women also on Thursday. And with the Under-19 Windies side having captured the ICC Youth World Cup earlier this year, Cameron said it was proof that West Indies cricket was “headed in the right direction.” “It is the beginning of the revival process,” Cameron told the Times of India newspaper. “We have put in place a robust system that will take some more time to churn out the results we want. The success of our U-19, ladies and men’s team proves that we are headed in the right direction”. Once World champions, West Indies have slipped to the bottom of international cricket in recent years, following poor results, especially in the Test and one-day formats. They are ranked number eight in Tests, the lowest of all major cricket nations and only above Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, and are ninth in ODIs, resulting in their non-qualification for next year’s Champions Trophy in England. However, Cameron said the WICB had made key structural changes which would see the continued rise of West Indies cricket. “Before 2005, we had an amateurish set-up in first-class cricket, where players only got to play just five four-day matches in a season. We have now replaced that with a professional set-up and players get to play at least 10 matches,” the Jamaican explained. He added: “We have 15 players who are currently contracted to the WICB. Besides this, we have 90 others who are contracted to the six regional franchises. The franchise teams currently compete in the four-day WICB Professional League as well as the one-day WICB Super 50 Tournament. “Currently, 11 women players are centrally contracted. They played some good cricket to get into the WT20 final for the first time and we hope they will go all the way.”
The Giants can’t promise they’ll get off to a better start in 2019, but at least their night games will be getting off to earlier starts.In a letter to season ticket holders, Giants president Larry Baer revealed weeknight game times at AT&T will begin at 6:45 p.m., 30 minutes earlier than previous seasons.Baer said the earlier starting times for home games on Monday through Thursday will “better serve fans and families during the work week.”The Giants’ “Orange Fridays” will continue to start …
9 May 2006Leading international and South African music, fashion, cuisine and artistic talent will come together under the banner of Positive, a star-studded Aids fundraising festival set to take place at Sun City from 8 to 11 June 2006.Featured at the event will be international luminaries such as Seal, Versace, Conrad Gallagher and Naomi Campbell, as well as local personalities Desmond Tutu, Karen Zoid, Kurt Darren, Arno Carstens, Danny K, Mandoza and Makhaya Ntini.The partnerships behind Positive aim to increase social awareness in the fight against the HIV/Aids pandemic. Proceeds will go to the Tapologo Aids Hospice, which serves the people in the mining area near Rustenburg in North West.“Tapologo is an extremely important initiative in the fight against Aids,” says Gavin Rajah, creative director of the Positive project.“Positive will be the most significant collaboration of fashion, art, food and music ever held in Africa, and essentially works across two levels: it will raise the funds needed to keep the project running and expanding and will also send a message to the world that HIV/Aids can be fought by supporting African-created solutions.”Concerts and exhibitionsThe highlight of the event will be a live performance by musical superstar Seal, on 9 June, who will be joined by international models Naomi Campbell, Fernanda Tavares, Emina Cunmulaj and Caroline Ribeiro.Running throughout the festival, the Positive Hope Healing and Compassion Exhibition, curated by leading British artist Craig Kilford, which will bring together the works of over 100 local and international artists.A minimum of 40% of the proceeds of artworks sold will be donated to Tapologo – although a number of artists have donated the full value of their work.Established artists exhibiting include Carrol Boyes, Guy du Toit, Barbara Jackson, Chris Diedricks, Johnson Baloyi, Ruth Levy and Conrad van Wyk.Running alongside the exhibition will be the Wall of Hope, a structure made up of works by local and international celebrities. Joining Craig Kilford in this exhibition will be celebrity canvasses by international stars Diana Ross, Westlife, Katie Melua, Aretha Franklin, The Feeling, Feeder and Metallica.Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Cindy Nel, Makhaya Ntini, Jaques Kallis, Yvonne Chaka Chaka and Gwen Gill will also be providing artworks.Other events taking place throughout Positive festival include:A supper club with live entertainment from local artists featuring Karen Zoid, Kurt Darren and Arno Carstens at the Palm Terrace on Thursday 8 June.Live entertainment by Matthew Davison with dinner at the Peninsula restaurant on Friday 9 June.a golf day on the Saturday morning at the Gary Player Golf Course.The Valley of the Waves Festival of Hope, with live performances, a local fashion show, with various DJs and comedians keeping the crowds entertained for the entire day. Acts include Danny K, Lebo Mathosa, Loyiso, Mandoza and Watershed.The Positive festival will be launched at a banquet in the Sun City Superbowl on Friday 9 June. Celebrities, invited guests and sponsors will be treated to a five-course dinner created by four Michelin-star chefs led by the world-renowned Conrad Gallagher. The entertainment will be an extravagant staging of fashion, music and art.During the four days of Positive an exclusive auction will be held of specific exhibited work, collection fashion garments and limited edition items. All proceeds will be donated to Tapologo.SouthAfrica.info reporter Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
8 August 2012 Women continue to be under-represented as judges in South Africa’s court system, with only about a quarter of them receiving permanent appointments, Justice Minister Jeff Radebe said on Tuesday.“In the justice sector in particular, women are still the least represented category across the entire hierarchy of the courts.”Radebe, speaking at the opening of a new courthouse in Palm Ridge for the magisterial district of Alberton in Ekurhuleni, said that of the 233 permanent judges appointed to different Superior Courts in the country, only 65 were women. Of that number 45 were black and 20 were white.The minister said the problem of women in justice was not limited to judicial appointments.“The allocation of legal work and briefs to legal practitioners is one area where there is almost a complete absence of women,” Radebe said.Radebe said the government was beginning “radical reforms” to the State Legal Services to address the problem of women representation in South Africa’s justice system.These were aimed at ensuring that the government, as a consumer of legal services, would introduce programmes that increased the number of black and women law practitioners.The reforms would particularly affect the fields of constitutional litigation, competition law, aviation and social and economic transformation.Radebe added that his department was considering reopening Sexual Offences Courts in the country to improve the conviction rate for sexual crimes against women.Radebe said the number of rapes in the country was “startling” and had to be curtailed.“I therefore urge all role players and the judiciary in particular, to join hands to rid South Africa of horrendous crimes which damage the country’s reputation both at home and internationally.”Sapa
Tags:#Internet of Things#web Related Posts Paper books are a joy to hold and read, but in a hyperlinked world they can feel a little limited. Dr. Sorin A. Matei of Purdue University is making paper books writable and multi-layered with 2D barcodes (QR codes) through a system he’s built called Ubimark.Imagine having a cloud of user-contributed commentary, maps, photos, audio and video annotating the paper books you hold in your hand. Think that’s something you might enjoy? I think I would. Check out the video below. 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting One question I do have is this: why use QR codes? Couldn’t software recognize the unique combination of words on the page and load a URL based on that? Perhaps it’s about namespaces and particular communities of content online. This way you could pick a particular edition of a marked-up book you want to participate in.The codes on the page do feel like an aesthetic flaw, but perhaps we’d grow used to them. The net benefit of living, social books certainly seems compelling.Presumably it will only be a matter of time until a whole lot of newspapers, magazines and other printed content is refreshed with cloud-based dynamic and social content accessible by mobile phone. marshall kirkpatrick
Andy Murray became the first British man to win a Grand Slam men’s singles title in 76 years after defeating Serbia’s Novak Djokovic in five gruelling sets in the US Open final.After losing four Grand Slam finals, the Scotsman at last won a major title by battling it out in blustery conditions at Arthur Ashe Stadium 7-6, 7-5, 2-6, 3-6, 6-2, here at Flushing Meadows on Monday.It looked as if Murray had the measure of the windy conditions as he took the first two sets before Djokovic came back roaring to take the next two.The Briton quickly regained his equanimity in the deciding set and jumped into a 3-0 lead pulling on his reserve stamina by breaking the Serb’s serve twice. Then and there the Serb’s fight was over and the Briton raced to take the set and the match.Djokovic thus failed to become the first to defend the title at the US Open since the five straight wins by Federer (2004-2008), reports Xinhua.The last British male champion to win a Grand Slam title was Fred Perry, who claimed the US Open in 1936.Murray, 25, had an extra day’s rest than his opponent as Djokovic’s semifinal against David Ferrer was postponed to Sunday.The Serb had to play two matches in two days and that gave Murray the edge over the defending champion, especially in the fifth set.The defeat cost Djokovic heavy. Had he won he would have collected $2.9 million payout instead of the $1.45 million runner-up cheque as he would have pocketed $1 million bonus for leading the US Open series.Murray earned $1.9 million, bringing his career prize money to more than $23 million.Djokovic, 25, was the 2-5 favourite at the Las Vegas Hotel’s Super Book, translating to a 71 percent probability of a sixth major title. A successful $100 dollars bet on underdog Murray yielded a 210-dollar profit.The win also broke a stranglehold on major titles by Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Djokovic, who combined to win 29 of the previous 30. Juan Martin Del Potro’s 2009 US Open victory was the lone exception.Murray’s breakthrough came in his 28th Grand Slam event and after losing four finals. He lost the 2011 Australian Open final to Djokovic and was beaten by Federer in three others — at the 2008 U.S. Open, in Australia in 2010 and this year at Wimbledon.There were four service breaks in the first eight games of the opening set as the players tried to adjust to the swirling 26 kph wind.Playing tentatively instead of going for winners, the two men exchanged 54 strokes on one point in the sixth game of the 87-minute set. The tie-breaker lasted 24 minutes.After Murray won the first-set tie-breaker on his sixth set point, he took a 4-0 lead in the second set by breaking Djokovic’s serve twice.Djokovic stormed back to win five of the next six games, only to have Murray break his serve again in the 12th game to win the set.Djokovic rallied to clinch the next two sets to stay alive and revive hopes of defending the title. But Murray repeated what he did in the second set by breaking the Serb’s first two service games, establishing a 3-0 lead.Though Djokovic broke one back in the fourth game, but could not hold off the sliding and was broken for the ninth time in the match in the seventh game to lose.With the win, Murray, who took the gold medal at the London Games in July, also became the first man to win both a gold medal and the US Open title since tennis returned to the Olympics in 1988.Murray called the three-set Olympic gold medal-winning victory against Federer “the biggest win of my life.”Now Murray has a Grand Slam as well, moving past Nadal to become the ATP World Tour’s third-ranked player.advertisement
Arsenal boss Emery: We can only make loan signingsby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal manager Unai Emery has confirmed the club will only sign loan players this month. The Gunners want to bring Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez to the Emirates, but are reluctant to part with a fee for the 25-year-old. And Emery has confirmed the club are only looking for temporary signings.”We cannot sign anyone permanently,” Emery said ahead of the Gunners’ game against West Ham on Saturday. “Only loan players this January.”Asked specifically about Suarez, Emery added: “I do not know his situation.”But I know the club is working for the possibility of players who can help us with this condition (on loan).” TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
BREAKING: West Moberly FN attempt to get injunction to halt Site C dam has been dismissed. #bcpoli— Keith Baldrey (@keithbaldrey) October 24, 2018More to come… VANCOUVER, B.C. – A court injunction to stop work at the Site C Dam has been dismissed.According to tweets from reporters in Vancouver, the injunction filed by West Moberly and Prophet River First Nations in January of this year has been dismissed.The two First Nations applied for seeking a complete stoppage to work on the dam, or for work to stop in so-called “critical areas” for a period of 18 months – which is the period of time that an expedited trial for the treaty infringement suit is estimated to take.
New Delhi: Twenty-one years after officially separating from the Congress, Mamata Banerjee-led TMC has removed the grand old party’s name from its logo. The new logo has Trinamool written in green with twin flowers and blue background. It has been in use for a week now, party sources said. It was way back in 1998 that present West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee broke away from the Congress and formed the TMC over differences of opinion on dealing with the then ruling CPI(M). “TMC is called Trinamool and after 21 years, it was time for change,” a party leader said. The Congress name has been dropped from party banners, posters and all communication material. However, it will remain registered with the Election Commission as Trinamool Congress, party sources said. The official Facebook and Twitter pages of the party, the CM, her nephew Abhishek Banerjee, and Trinamool’s leader in the Rajya Sabha Derek O Brien already have the new logo.