For this year…9 dismissed so far, says Top CopBy Shemuel FanfairAs the Guyana Police Force (GPF) continues to remove its “rogue” elements, acting Commissioner David Ramnarine has affirmed that the Force has no place for unprofessional conduct, informing the public that some nine junior ranks were dismissed for their involvement in various types of motor vehicular offences.Dead: Anastacia KerrPolice statistics have revealed that for the period January-October 2017, some 28 junior Police ranks were involved in motor accidents, some of which saw persons losing their lives.At Monday’s press conference, the acting Police Commissioner said that nine of those ranks were dismissed. He added that the Police Force’s senior administration would not accept such unprofessional conduct, whether or not the ranks operated their private cars or one of the Force’s fleet of vehicles, some of which were involved in accidents in recent weeks.“You cannot be driving without fitness, insurance [or] drunk driving, and expect to be a member of the Force; you have to go,” Ramnarine strongly stated.In March 2017 in Berbice, Constable Joshua Ali, then unlicensed, was fined $37,500 after pleading guilty to Driving Under the Influence (DUI) of alcohol and breach of condition of provisional licence. Similarly, Police Constable Satrohan Gowkarran, who struck a pedestrian at Stewartville, West Coast Demerara, in a drunken state in September, pleaded guilty and was fined $7500 and had his licence endorsed for a DUI.Dead: Pulmattie RamotarCondemning such occurrences, Ramnarine suggested that new recruits were actively waiting to fill the vacuum that would be left by dismissed ranks.“The Guyana Police Force did not have a long line waiting to enlist five years ago, but today through the grace of God and through public trust, and other initiatives, we have a long line waiting out there, so when you slip up; I’m not going to wait on three strikes, that is the way forward for the Force,” he related, at the same time condemning the heavily tinted motor cars of junior ranks.In August, 58-year-old Pulmattie Ramotar, of Success, East Coast Demerara (ECD), succumbed two days after she was struck down on the Success Public Road by a police rank. Additionally, Eno David, 22, of Matthew’s Ridge, North West District, was struck down at the Soesdyke Public Road (EBD), East Bank Demerara, by a police rank, who was transporting an injured colleague, who himself was involved in a separate car accident in the early morning hours. Police had, however, claimed that no alcohol was found when breathalyser tests were conducted on these two ranks.The PPP 8497 Toyota Allion motor car which struck and killed Eno David at Soesdyke, EBD in August (Shemuel Fanfair file photo)In September, 20-year-old former Lot 5 Hope Estate, ECD resident and sales girl Anastacia Kerr lost her life after she was struck down and killed by a drunken Police Lance Corporal at the Ogle Public Road, ECD. It was reported that the Policeman was proceeding along the roadway in motor car PSS 3984, when the now deceased woman allegedly ran across the road and into the path of the vehicle. As a result, the left side of the car hit her.
A couple have been banned from Letterkenny after allegedly going on a robbery spree.The couple stand accused of stealing a car in Bridgend and handling stolen designer glasses worth more than €1,000.Amy Beattie, 21, with an address of The Simon Community, Bonds Hill, Derry, and Cavan Whyte, 24, of 63 Rossnagalliagh, Derry, both faced a number of charges when they were brought before Carndonagh District Court yesterday. The duo were both charged with the alleged theft of a car at Bunnamayne, Bridgend on November 22, last, while Beattie also faced charges of handling stolen property including Elizabeth Arden Red Door perfume and a student ID card.The pair, who did not speak throughout the brief hearing, were brought to Carn Court in handcuffs after they were arrested in Letterkenny on Monday night.Beattie and Whyte were also charged with allegedly leaving Oasis Bar in Letterkenny without paying a bill of €80.50 and holding stolen goods, namely ten pairs of designer glasses worth €1,090 on February 15.Whyte faces a separate charge of possession an adapted Stanley/flick knife, with intent to cause injury.The pair were arrested around 9.10pm on Monday night at Letterkenny Bus Station.Their defence solicitor Frank Dorrian indicated that his clients would be pleading guilty to all of the charges and applied for bail.Inspector Denis Joyce said he wanted a number of conditions attached to the bail before releasing the pair, as they had previously not appeared in Buncrana Court to face charges relating to the car theft in Bridgend.He ordered that Beattie and Whyte sign on every Monday and Friday at Buncrana Garda Station and that they stay out of Letterkenny, except for court appearances.Judge Paul Kelly asked Mr. Dorrian why they had not appeared before him in Buncrana in January.The Buncrana solicitor said Ms. Beattie’s home had burnt down and her children had been taken into care. He said she was ‘a very bad way’ and not in a position to attend court at that time.Judge Kelly released both defendants on their own bail bonds of €100 under the conditions that Insp. Joyce outlined. They are due before Buncrana Court on March 10, next.COUPLE BANNED FROM LETTERKENNY AFTER ALLEGED ROBBERY SPREE was last modified: February 16th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalGLASSESJudge Paul Kellyletterkennystolen goods
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week U.S. Rep. Brad Sherman will visit ONEgeneration, 9:45-10:45 a.m. at Burbank and Victoria boulevards, Encino; and Service Employees International Union, Local 660, 1-1:30 p.m. at Los Angeles Convention Center, West Hall, 1201 S. Figueroa St. A public hearing on the Los Angeles River master plan will be held, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the North Weddington Recreation Center, 10844 Acama St., North Hollywood. See www.lariver.org, www.folar.org, and www.theriverproject.org. San Fernando Valley Harvest Festival, 11 a.m.-7 p.m., St. John Eudes Church, 9901 Mason Ave., Chatsworth. Admission $5; $3 for children. Autumn plant sale, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. today, Descanso Gardens, 1418 Descanso Drive, La Caada Flintridge. Rose show and sale, 1-5 p.m. today and 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Sunday. Call (818) 949-7984 or see www.descansogardens.org. Oktoberfest, noon-10 p.m. today and noon-9 p.m. Sunday, Winnetka Park, 8401 Winnetka Ave., Winnetka. Call (818) 348-6908. TODAY: Kids Fitness Challenge, Kaiser Permanente, 8220 Woodman Ave., Panorama City. Registration at 7:30 a.m., event at 9 a.m. See www.fitnesschallengeinfo.com. Ventura County Heart Walk, 8 a.m., Westlake Village Civic Center, 31200 Oaks Crest Drive. Call (805) 445-7050 or see www.vcheartwalk.org. Native plant sale, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. today and Sunday, Sepulveda Garden Center, 16633 Magnolia Blvd., Encino. Free admission. Call (818) 881-3706. “Expedition Inspiration Take-A-Hike,” to benefit breast cancer research at UCLA and USC, featuring actresses Tea Leoni, Cindy Crawford and Jeanne Tripplehorn. Registration at 7:30 a.m., opening ceremonies at 8:30 a.m., hikes at 9 a.m. Paramount Ranch, 2903 Cornell Road. Agoura Hills. Mail Datebook entries – including time, date, location and a phone number – to Daily News City Desk, P.O. Box 4200, Woodland Hills, CA 91365; fax (818) 713-0058; e-mail email@example.comWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!