Commonwealth delegation to meet with GECOM

first_img…Commissioners clash over ‘Election 2019’ discussionsA high-level team from the Commonwealth Secretariat will be visiting Guyana to meet with top officials from the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) on Thursday.Political Adviser to the Commonwealth Secretariat, Dr Tres-Ann KremerThe aim of the meeting is to discuss the ongoing issues regarding election preparations.The team will include Adviser and Head, Electoral Support Section, Martin Kasirye; Political Adviser to the Commonwealth Secretariat, Dr Tres-Ann Kremer, and Head of Good Offices.The team is scheduled to arrive in Guyana today and will be here until Saturday. The meeting with the GECOM Chairman, retired Justice James Patterson and Commissioners is expected to last for two hours.This was confirmed by GECOM Commissioners Robeson Benn and Vincent Alexander.This meeting follows one that has taken place most recently between the Carter Center and officials of GECOM regarding election readiness. This meeting took place prior to the Court of Appeal decision.Besides that visit, during Tuesday’s statutory meeting, Commissioners on both sides clashed when “Election 2019”, which was placed on the agenda, came up for discussions.Benn, a People’s Progressive Party (PPP)-nominated Commissioner, told the media that Alexander requested that it be removed from the agenda and instead go with elections, alone.The former Minister, now Commissioner said this points to the overall position, manipulations and collusions that have been taking place to have elections occur in 2020.But Alexander had a different opinion. He said he objected to having “Election 2019” placed on the agenda because at the moment there is no mandate to conduct elections this year.CoverAside from these issues, Benn said he also raised concerns over the letter that Patterson wrote to President David Granger on March 19, outlining his positions with respect to elections to be held arising out of the no-confidence motion. The PPP-nominated Commissioner finds issue with the fact that the Chairman’s position did not arise from any vote put or finding of the Commission on the issues.“The public is led to believe that this is the Commission’s position. In this case, it was not even allowed for the Commission to vote one way or the other before a letter was sent to the President and since then, the President and others on the Government side have been using this letter as a cover for the positions in respect for elections and in itself after house-to-house registration,” he said.Another disagreement Benn had during Tuesday’s meeting is the fact that he had requested previously that GECOM cease and desist from house-to-house related actions. “It was a policy matter and not a legal matter and in any event, the imperatives arising out of the no-confidence motion, even if there is an extension or one or the other, GECOM should be prepared for elections within 90 days in any period.”GECOM has already commenced rolling out its 2019 work programme, which essentially is house-to-house registration, as of last weekend. Training in that regard has commenced. Training for trainers has been completed, while enumerators will be trained this weekend.On Friday, March 22, in a 2:1 split decision, the Court of Appeal ruled that a majority of 34 votes would have been needed to validly pass the no-confidence motion brought against the Government last year.The ruling means that the motion was not validly passed, and hence the coalition Administration was not toppled as a result of the events that occurred. The judgment has since been highly criticised since the judges inserted the word “absolute” into the constitutional provision regarding the majority.The matter is being appealed by the Opposition at the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ).last_img read more

Mayweather takes on ‘Ninja Boy’ kickboxer in Japan rumble

first_img0Shares0000Floyd Mayweather (left) and kickboxer Nasukawa (right) are undefeated © AFP / Behrouz MEHRITOKYO, Japan, Dec 31 – US boxing superstar Floyd “Money” Mayweather fights undefeated Japanese kickboxing prodigy Tenshin Nasukawa on Monday, a New Year’s Eve multi-million-dollar rumble outside Tokyo to be held under boxing rules.At 41, Mayweather is more than twice the age of his Japanese opponent, the 20-year-old known as “Ninja Boy” but will carry a more than 4kg (9lb) weight advantage into the ring. The bout in Saitama, north of Tokyo, will be fought over three rounds of three minutes but there are no judges and no winner will be declared unless there is a knockout.The bout will also not count on the record of either fighter — allowing both men to retain their cherished unbeaten records — and is being promoted as a pure exhibition match.It will also be boxing only — putting Nasukawa at a disadvantage, with the kickboxer reportedly liable to a $5 million fine if he aims a kick at Mayweather.The purse has not been officially disclosed but media reports have claimed that Mayweather is making $88 million for the nine minutes of action.At a pre-fight news conference, a relaxed-looking Mayweather said he could complete three rounds “in his sleep”.“It is all about entertainment. I don’t worry about anything,” said Mayweather, a legend in the boxing world who has a perfect 50 in and zero defeats record with 27 knockouts.The relaxed American said he would not be concerned even if he were to be floored by his Japanese opponent.“Me getting knocked out or me getting knocked down … I don’t worry about it at all. If that does happen, I mean that’s entertainment. That’s all we need to see,” said Mayweather.– ‘Gym rat’ –Kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa was little-known outside Japan before the Mayweather clash was announced © AFP/File / Toshifumi KITAMURAVirtually unknown outside the kickboxing ring in his own country, the bleach-blond Nasukawa from Chiba near Tokyo also boasts an unbeaten record.He won the world junior karate championship, made his professional kickboxing debut at the age of 16 and has a 28-0 record with 21 wins by knockout.Promoters RIZIN have hailed him as “perhaps the best combat sports prospect the country has ever seen” and the 20-year-old himself has claimed he has a “punch that boxers don’t have.”“I want to be the man who changes history. I’ll do that with these fists, with one punch — just watch,” Nasukawa said.Even Mayweather appears impressed, describing his opponent as “an unbelievable talent” and praising his lithe, “gym rat” physique.“He is very young. He is very active… very tough. I had a chance to see some highlights (of his performance) and I was impressed with Tenshin. I was very impressed with him.”Nasukawa has dismissed the idea that the boxing rules will count against him, saying: “All I have to do is to give 100 percent … Since Mayweather is expected to dodge my offence, I really want to hit him.”Nothing to lose: Even if knocked out, the three-round exhibition will not count against Floyd Mayweather’s perfect 50-0 record © AFP/File / Toshifumi KITAMURAThis is the second time Mayweather has been coaxed out of retirement. Last year, he knocked out mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor in the 10th round of a super-hyped boxing match.There are also unconfirmed rumours Mayweather could take on reigning UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, who said last month any match-up would be “twice as interesting” as the McGregor fight.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more