For this year…9 dismissed so far, says Top CopBy Shemuel FanfairAs the Guyana Police Force (GPF) continues to remove its “rogue” elements, acting Commissioner David Ramnarine has affirmed that the Force has no place for unprofessional conduct, informing the public that some nine junior ranks were dismissed for their involvement in various types of motor vehicular offences.Dead: Anastacia KerrPolice statistics have revealed that for the period January-October 2017, some 28 junior Police ranks were involved in motor accidents, some of which saw persons losing their lives.At Monday’s press conference, the acting Police Commissioner said that nine of those ranks were dismissed. He added that the Police Force’s senior administration would not accept such unprofessional conduct, whether or not the ranks operated their private cars or one of the Force’s fleet of vehicles, some of which were involved in accidents in recent weeks.“You cannot be driving without fitness, insurance [or] drunk driving, and expect to be a member of the Force; you have to go,” Ramnarine strongly stated.In March 2017 in Berbice, Constable Joshua Ali, then unlicensed, was fined $37,500 after pleading guilty to Driving Under the Influence (DUI) of alcohol and breach of condition of provisional licence. Similarly, Police Constable Satrohan Gowkarran, who struck a pedestrian at Stewartville, West Coast Demerara, in a drunken state in September, pleaded guilty and was fined $7500 and had his licence endorsed for a DUI.Dead: Pulmattie RamotarCondemning such occurrences, Ramnarine suggested that new recruits were actively waiting to fill the vacuum that would be left by dismissed ranks.“The Guyana Police Force did not have a long line waiting to enlist five years ago, but today through the grace of God and through public trust, and other initiatives, we have a long line waiting out there, so when you slip up; I’m not going to wait on three strikes, that is the way forward for the Force,” he related, at the same time condemning the heavily tinted motor cars of junior ranks.In August, 58-year-old Pulmattie Ramotar, of Success, East Coast Demerara (ECD), succumbed two days after she was struck down on the Success Public Road by a police rank. Additionally, Eno David, 22, of Matthew’s Ridge, North West District, was struck down at the Soesdyke Public Road (EBD), East Bank Demerara, by a police rank, who was transporting an injured colleague, who himself was involved in a separate car accident in the early morning hours. Police had, however, claimed that no alcohol was found when breathalyser tests were conducted on these two ranks.The PPP 8497 Toyota Allion motor car which struck and killed Eno David at Soesdyke, EBD in August (Shemuel Fanfair file photo)In September, 20-year-old former Lot 5 Hope Estate, ECD resident and sales girl Anastacia Kerr lost her life after she was struck down and killed by a drunken Police Lance Corporal at the Ogle Public Road, ECD. It was reported that the Policeman was proceeding along the roadway in motor car PSS 3984, when the now deceased woman allegedly ran across the road and into the path of the vehicle. As a result, the left side of the car hit her.
Impressed with a sell-out crowd as cricket made its international debut in the USA when India and West Indies clashed in a T20 series last month, BCCI is keen on utilising the market on a long-term basis.BCCI president Anurag Thakur, who is in the USA, said the board is serious about it.”We are coming out with a 5-10 years program. I will be sending a team soon to the United States to look at the potential venues where we can have international matches,” Thakur said. (Also Read: Anurag Thakur blasts ICC chairman Shashank Manohar, accuses him of leaving BCCI in lurch)Thakur is part of a delegation of Indian MPs, who are in the US to meet their American counterparts and administration officials.”We are very serious about this (American) market.Cricket fans, which are in large numbers in the United States, have been deprived of live matches in the past several years,” Thakur said in response to a question. (Two-tier Test scheme should have been shot down early: Anurag Thakur)SUCCESSFUL EXPERIMENTReferring to the recently-held T20 matches between India and West Indies in Florida, Thakur said the experiment was very successful.”It was decided just three weeks in advance. Anyone who visited the Fort Laurderdale matches, could see the atmosphere. It was very lively, thanks to the Indian cricket fans,” he added. (Rain denies India victory in Florida as West Indies clinch series 1-0)”I think, if you could engage more countries like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, England and others, we have a large population in this area, but Indians have to play a very important role. Without India nothing can happen. It has to be India-centric. And we can take it to the next level,” Thakur said referring to the Indian diaspora in the US. (MS Dhoni wants more T20s in United States)advertisement”We have to look at the various challenges which we could face in the region. Because it is not about just matches being played in the region, but how you can have a sustained development of cricket in this area. For us, the US and Canada are very important markets,” Thakur said.(With PTI inputs)