Oil major Repsol breaks ground in Spain on its first-ever solar farm

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享PV Tech:Repsol has launched construction works in Spain for its first ever solar farm in the midst of a national quarantine, following the country’s lifting of a pandemic-driven construction freeze last week.On Wednesday, the oil major announced it has now broken ground on a 126MW solar trio in the province of Ciudad Real, in the Castilla-La Mancha region to the south of capital Madrid. The so-called Kappa venture in Manzanares is Repsol’s maiden solar project and will require overall funding of around €100 million (US$108 million). The complex, set to become operational in early 2021, will be split into individual plants boasting a capacity of 45MW, 45MW and 36MW.The under-construction Kappa projects will soon be joined by the 264MW Valdesolar PV project to the west, in the region of Extremadura. The project in Badajoz – acquired by Repsol in September 2018 – is meant to break ground “in the coming weeks,” the firm said on Wednesday.Together with the 335MW Delta wind plant Repsol already started building last December, the solar duo of Kappa and Valdesolar are part of a three-project renewable push set to mobilise €600 million (US$651 million) of investment all in all.Repsol’s solar push follows its pledge at Madrid’s UN climate summit last year to reach net-zero emissions by 2050. The commitment has since been emulated by similar moves from fellow oil players Galp, BP, Eni and Equinor, with the IEA urging them not to abandon renewable ambitions even as COVID-19 hurts oil revenues.[José Rojo Martín]More: Oil major Repsol uses Spain’s lockdown rollback to start building solar debut Oil major Repsol breaks ground in Spain on its first-ever solar farmlast_img read more

Khan: I won’t box behind closed doors

first_imgRelatedPosts Italy introduces compulsory virus testing for travellers from France Nigeria records new COVID-19 infections, more deaths as figures rise to 57,242 I was in best of forms before Tokyo Paralympics was postponed — Powerlifter Ejike Former world champion Amir Khan has said he won’t fight behind closed doors should boxing resume during the coronavirus outbreak.British officials are looking at July as a possible return date for bouts, albeit these would take place in the first instance without spectators at venues. “Even though there is big money I wouldn’t be able to do it as I need the fan base there,” British boxer Khan told the BBC on Saturday.“I’ve got three kids. I do so much in the sport already and I feel I’d rather be 100 percent sure before I jump back in,” explained the 33-year-old.Twice a light-welterweight world champion after earning an Olympic silver medal as a teenager, Khan won his last bout with a fourth-round victory over Billy Dib in Saudi Arabia in July to take his professional record to 34 wins from 39 fights.Khan has previously made it clear he wants to end his career with a lucrative bout against ring great Manny Pacquiao or in an all-British contest with Kell Brook — and those fights need a crowd.“I just feel that for a boxer to walk into an arena and walk into a fight having no fans in an empty stadium it’s going to be like walking into a sparring session so I can’t really see that working,” he added. “It’s hard to lift yourself really and get yourself ready for a fight. I can’t see the big names doing that unless there’s ridiculous money from the TV company on the table. You need the audience there to lift your spirits.”Meanwhile Khan questioned whether the health measures proposed by the British Boxing Board of Control for staging bouts amid the pandemic, including the testing of boxers, who would isolate at designated hotels, and officials wearing masks during bouts, would be enough to stop the spread of the virus.He said: “What if someone gets badly injured or catches something from his opponent?”Tags: Amir KhanBBCCoronaviruslast_img read more