German female ref ready to whistle in Bundesliga

first_img0Shares0000German referee Bibiana Steinhaus gestures during the FIFA Women’s Football World Cup final match Japan vs USA on July 17, 2011 in Frankfurt am Main, western Germany © AFP/File / JOHANNES EISELEBERLIN, Germany, Aug 16 – Germany’s Bibiana Steinhaus insists she is no feminist trailblazer as she prepares to become the first female ref in Europe’s top leagues having already tamed Bayern Munich’s stars.The 38-year-old is on the official list of Bundesliga referees for the 2017/18 season, which starts Friday, meaning she will become the first female ref in the top flight of Germany, England, Spain, France or Italy. Steinhaus’ first Bundesliga match has yet to be announced, but she oversaw Bayern Munich’s 5-0 win at minnows Chemnitz last Saturday in the first-round of the German Cup and proved she can handle star players.She gave Bayern’s Franck Ribery a playful punch on the arm after the French winger cheekily untied her boot laces before a free-kick.“She’s strong, she has a lot of power,” said Ribery.“It was funny, she played along and was in good spirits.“You can have fun with referees, but it’s also important that there’s mutual respect.”Steinhaus says her promotion to the Bundesliga is a “great incentive” and reward for her hard work, but shuns her role as a trailblazer.“I never planned, and still don’t today, to break new grounds of emancipation,” she said at a referee’s training camp in July.“I am only doing what I love.”Steinhaus has taken charge of around 80 German second division matches since 2011, refereeing the women’s final at the London Olympic Games tournament and this year’s women’s Champions League final.She has already acted as the fourth official in Germany’s top tier and shrugged off Pep Guardiola’s attempt to put his arm around her shoulders when the then-Bayern coach remonstrated with her on the touchlines in 2014.Unfortunately, the 1.81m Steinhaus has already experienced direct sexism on the pitch.During a second division match in 2015, she sent off Hoffenheim’s Germany international Kerem Demirbay, then playing for Fortuna Duesseldorf, who told her women had no place in football.The remark led to him receiving a five-match ban by the German FA.Steinhaus, who works with a fitness coach, acknowledges that refereeing in the Bundesliga will challenge her both on and off the pitch.“I like to say that the Bundesliga is another step up, I have worked intensively and the speed is different,” said Steinhaus.“Certainly, as a female referee, I will be under special scrutiny from the start of the season, especially from the media.“I don’t seek public attention and my colleagues know me well enough to know that.”Steinhaus is a policewoman and in a relationship with English former top ref Howard Webb.She can expect to have her decisions scrutinised by fans in football-mad Germany.Claudia Neumann, Germany’s first female commentator, experienced a sexist backlash on social media when she took the microphone for state broadcaster ZDF during last year’s European championships.“In football, which is the favourite child of German men, changes are about as welcome as an annoying bout of diarrhoea,” Neumann told SID, an AFP subsidiary.A survey by Loughborough University has found only 3.7 percent of senior positions in European football are occupied by women.Even in women’s football, 10 of the 12 teams in Germany’s top flight are coached by men.Nevertheless, Steinhaus is relishing her chance to make history by blowing her whistle in the Bundesliga.“It has always been my dream and I am delighted that it will come true,” she said.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Courthouse cafe thinks global

first_imgLANCASTER – The Antelope Valley Courthouse will acquire an international flavor when a $3.5 million cafeteria opens Feb. 1 with a wide-ranging menu. The menu at the LunchStop cafeteria will feature traditional fare such as hamburgers, fries, hot dogs and soup, but also more exotic-sounding selections like a Thai peanut wrap, spicy Indian curry with lemongrass and basmati rice, and a grilled eggplant, arugula and pesto sandwich. “We like to think we have a little bit of everything for everyone, salad bar, hero sandwiches. There will be traditional grilled burgers,” said Wayne Goulding Sr., CEO and president of LunchStop, the San Jose-based firm under contract to the county to operate the cafeteria. “We have an entree section where we serve a main entree every day that will have an international theme, everything you can think of.” County supervisors last week approved the contract with LunchStop, a food-service management company that operates cafeterias as franchises in 60 locations in California, Texas and Oregon. “We are pleased to finally have a cafeteria where both the employees of the courthouse as well as the public can have access to a greater variety of nutritious food,” said Anna Pembedjian, Antonovich’s justice deputy. A county staff report said the cafeteria will offer “quality meals for county staff and visitors at reasonable prices.” Karen Maeshiro, (661) 267-5744 karen.maeshiro@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The firm’s other eateries in Southern California are located in the federal buildings in Laguna Niguel and San Diego, the Ronald Reagan Courthouse in Santa Ana, and the city of Inglewood, Goulding said. Under the agreement, LunchStop will pay the county $700 a month or 5 percent of its monthly gross receipts, whichever is greater, bringing in to the county a minimum of $8,400 per year in revenue. The agreement runs for three years with the option to renew in each of two successive years. The courthouse, named after Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, opened in October 2003 without a functioning cafeteria, so courthouse staffers, attorneys, law enforcement officers and the public had to make do with a catering wagon parked outside the courthouse doors or drive elsewhere to get lunch. The 10,000-square-foot LunchStop cafeteria with a dining capacity for more than 400 customers will serve breakfast and lunch. last_img read more

Seeking Robust Exports to China

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Jerry HagstromDTN Political CorrespondentAVENTURA, Fla. (DTN) — The Trump administration wants China to promise to buy a broad range of agricultural commodities, not just soybeans, in the trade negotiation that is underway, Agriculture Deputy Secretary Steve Censky said Monday.“We want some robust purchase commitments from China,” Censky said at the International Sweetener Colloquium, a gathering of sweetener users here.Censky said that means China should fulfill its commitments under the tariff rate quota system to buy other commodities and also U.S. meat and pet food.The United States also expects China to improve its biotechnology approval system. “In the past, it has taken a presidential summit to get biotech approvals,” he said.The engagement with China is a “tough, but promising negotiation,” Censky said.But he also said that achieving a good agreement on agriculture is not enough to win the administration’s backing. He said China has to agree to make changes to its system of technology transfer and not force U.S. companies to transfer their technology or take on a Chinese partner who, in effect, steals U.S. knowledge.Censky also told the candy company executives and others in the sweetener industry there is “a lot of work ahead to get the USMCA [the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement] passed. We need your help.”He noted that USDA is advocating within the administration for the removal of the tariffs on Mexican and Canadian steel. Agriculture leaders have said the tariffs have led to retaliatory tariffs that have diminished their exports and that the provisions in the USMCA will be meaningless if the tariffs are not removed.Censky also noted that Larry Kudlow, the director of the White House National Economic Council, has said he expects the tariffs to be removed.Censky also said he thinks the expected negotiations with Japan will be “great news for agriculture.” He noted that U.S. agreements with Japan have “always” been “the crown jewel of U.S. trade negotiations,” and that most of the gains under the Trans Pacific Partnership proposal from which President Donald Trump withdrew would have been in increased access to the Japanese market.In the upcoming negotiations with Japan, Censky said, the Trump administration wants “at least” what the United States would have gotten if it stayed in TPP.Negotiations with the European Union are slower because the United States has pushed for agriculture to be included in the agreement, which the EU has resisted, he said. But Censky said he believes agriculture must be included for Congress to approve an EU agreementThe Trump administration would also like to achieve a new agricultural trade relationship with the United Kingdom if and when it leaves the European Union, but that relationship depends on the arrangements under which the U.K. leaves the EU, he said.USDA will release its farm bill implementation schedule later this week, he said, with implementation of the new dairy program a top priority.PRESIDENT POINTS TO AG AND USMCA DEALPresident Donald Trump on Sunday said he would extend a deadline to escalate tariffs on Chinese imports, citing progress in trade negotiations.The president tweeted, “I am pleased to report that the U.S. has made substantial progress in our trade talks with China on important structural issues including intellectual property protection, technology transfer, agriculture, services, currency, and many other issues. As a result of these very … productive talks, I will be delaying the U.S. increase in tariffs now scheduled for March 1. Assuming both sides make additional progress, we will be planning a Summit for President Xi and myself, at Mar-a-Lago, to conclude an agreement. A very good weekend for U.S. & China!”In comments to the nation’s governors, Trump said the new U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement would benefit farmers.According to a White House transcript, Trump said he wanted to “thank every governor here today who is supporting our new U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement — the USMCA. I’ve long said that NAFTA is the worst trade deal that any country has ever signed. It emptied us out. We had a surplus with Mexico and Canada, and we went to $130 billion trade deficit with the combination of Mexico and Canada. And this deal will bring it back.”“We’re opening it up to farmers. We’re opening Canada, as an example — and Mexico — to farmers. They were closed. It was a closed shop. They had all sorts of non-monetary trade barriers. And they had monetary trade barriers. They were charging, for certain agricultural products, an almost 300 percent tariff. Nobody ever talked about it. Nobody ever knew about it. And I’d go up to Wisconsin and the farmers would say, ‘Sir, we can’t compete. They’re charging us 287 percent, to be exact.’ I said, ‘You got to be kidding.’And we did something about it.”“So the USMCA is very important. It will help our dairy farmers in Wisconsin; our wine makers in Oregon and Washington and California; our autoworkers in Michigan and Ohio and Pennsylvania and all over; and dozens of other states, and ranchers and farmers and growers and manufacturers from coast to coast. It’s a very, very comprehensive deal. It’s a deal that nobody thought we’d be able to get approved.“I was able to get it approved, to be honest with you, by using tariffs. I was putting very substantial tariffs — or was getting ready to — on Canada, who was very tough to negotiate. You know, we think of ‘Oh, Canada.’ Well, ‘Oh, Canada’ is tough. They’re tough.“And I said, ‘Look, you know, you’re either going to do this or we’re going to put 20, 25 percent tariffs on your cars that you ship in here by the millions.”Jerry Hagstrom can be reached at jhagstrom@njdc.comFollow him on Twitter @hagstromreport(CC/AG)© Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Ekal Sansthan to open 60 schools in Himachal’s Lahaul-Spiti district

first_imgEkal Sansthan, the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS)-inspired organisation that sets up one-teacher schools across the country with a focus on rural and tribal areas, will open 60 schools in Lahaul-Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh as part of its initiative to expand the network of such schools to all border areas. The district abuts China, and there have been reports of heightened Chinese activities across the international border close to it during the Doklam crisis in August.Thirty such schools have already come up, and the organisation will soon scale up the number to 60.“We are aiming at spreading these schools in vulnerable, border areas. We have also sought to spread our network in Punjab, Kashmir and near the Bangladesh border in Assam,” Manju Srivastava of Ekal Sansthan told The Hindu.She said the organisation is autonomous, but draws ideological inspiration from the RSS. The attempt to expand to border areas has three objectives. One, the idea is to connect border areas with the national “mainstream” through education. Second, the Ekal believes such an initiative will better organise border villages that are vulnerable. She added that imparting education and skills to children in border areas would better prepare them for a good life with opportunities for livelihood.Ms. Srivastava made a presentation on the initiatives of the Ekal Sansthan at a national workshop on school education organised by the Ministry of Human Resource Development earlier this week. There are 58,227 Ekal Vidyalayas in the country now, imparting education to 15,35,965 children. They are spread over 58,000 villages in 22 States.last_img read more

Derby boss Lampard charged by FA

first_imgDerby County manager Frank Lampard has been charged with improper conduct by the Football Association, in the wake of his actions on the touchline at the weekend. Lampard – who took over as Rams manager in May – is facing punishment after he was sent off during his side’s 1-0 Championship defeat at Rotherham United on Saturday.The former England international protested with referee Peter Bankes for his failure to award Derby a second-half penalty – having earlier seen Tom Lawrence dismissed and the Millers awarded a spot-kick – and was sent to the stands.  Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! Speaking after the game, Lampard said: “I didn’t get a word from the ref, he didn’t consult with the linesman, he just decided to send me off.”I need to go back to the rule book myself.”He continued by insisting that the officials kept him in the dark throughout the contest, adding: “I was upset with a handball. If those are the rules, managers will get sent off every game.”I like communication with officials but there was none of that. It wasn’t a penalty. They got a soft one but we didn’t get one.”The ex-Chelsea midfielder has until Thursday to respond to the FA’s charge. Derby have won four of their opening seven games of the new season and currently sit just outside the play-off places on goal difference behind Swansea and Sheffield United.Lampard has had an immediate impact since taking over in the managerial hot seat at Pride Park this summer and seems to be relishing his new role as a head coach.Next up for his side is a home game with Blackburn Rovers on Tuesday and supporters will be hopeful that the team can get back to winning ways as they continue their push for promotion.last_img read more