10 months agoZola confirms Chelsea watching Bournemouth striker Wilson

first_imgZola confirms Chelsea watching Bournemouth striker Wilsonby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveGianfranco Zola has confirmed Chelsea’s interest in Callum Wilson.The Bournemouth striker has scored nine goals across all competitions this season, with reports stating the Blues were contemplating a move for the 26-year-old.And speaking before Chelsea take on Bournemouth in the EFL Cup quarterfinal, Zola said the club were interested in the England international.”I’m sure that there are a lot of players that are linked with us,” the Blues assistant said.”Certainly Callum Wilson is doing very well for his club and he is of interest, not just for us, but for many.”He’s strong, fast, and he sees the goal. I like him because he’s quick, but also strong in the air, which is a very important quality.”But I don’t want to go too much into it. He’s doing very well. I’m pleased for him. He has a lot of qualities that can take him a long way.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Alberta premier threatens to broaden pipeline dispute with BC

first_imgNotley says if she sees more moves to delay construction, her government will pass legislation to give her the power to reduce the flow of oil and natural gas.In 1980, former Alberta premier Peter Lougheed cut oil exports in his fight with Ottawa over price controls and revenue sharing under the national energy program.The pipeline dispute began earlier this year when B.C. said it would not allow increased oil shipments until it could do more research on spill response. EDMONTON, A.B. – Alberta Premier Rachel Notley is threatening to expand a fight with B.C. over the Trans Mountain pipeline by reducing the amount of oil her province ships.Notley won’t say if she would cut off B.C. or the rest of Canada or both.She says it’s time to focus the country’s attention on lost jobs and reduced revenue due to a pipeline bottleneck.last_img read more

Fatal collision on Alaska Highway South of Taylor

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – RCMP now confirm one person has died in the collision that occurred on December 13 at around 8:30 a.m. on the Alaska Highway, south of Taylor.Police say there was a two-vehicle head-on collision on Hwy 97 south of 230 Road, Taylor area, involving a semi-truck and passenger vehicle with one person in each.Emergency services, Dawson Creek RCMP, Traffic Services and the Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Service responded to the scene. RCMP Corporal Mike Halskov says the Dawson Creek RCMP are currently investigating the collision as the cause of the crash is unknown at the moment.The highway will be closed for the foreseeable future. Motorists are asked to monitor DriveBC.ca for updates to the road closure.last_img read more

Exxon Mobil withdraws application to approve 25 billion BC LNG project

first_imgCALGARY, A.B. – The B.C. government says Exxon Mobil Corp. has withdrawn its environmental assessment application for a $25-billion LNG export facility it proposed in 2015.The apparent shelving of the project is a blow to the West Coast liquefied natural gas export industry which at one time featured about 20 proposals but has resulted in only one firm commitment to build.The withdrawal came in a one-sentence update on the website of the B.C. Environmental Assessment Office. Exxon did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The project had been proposed by Exxon and its Canadian partner, Imperial Oil Ltd., for Tuck Inlet in the Prince Rupert area on B.C.’s north coast.Earlier this year, Calgary-based Imperial took a writedown of $289 million on its northern B.C. Horn River shale gas development, a 50-50 venture with Exxon that was once expected to become a major supply source for B.C.’s LNG industry.In October, Royal Dutch Shell and its partners announced final investment approval for the $40-billion LNG Canada project, including a gas liquefaction plant in Kitimat on B.C.’s coast and a 670-kilometre gas supply pipeline.last_img read more

Noise pollution serious crime says NGT asks police to take strict action

first_imgNew Delhi: Noise pollution beyond prescribed norms is a serious punishable crime, the NGT has said and asked the police to map such hotspots as also put in place a surveillance mechanism for taking strict action against violators.A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel directed the Police Commissioner to monitor the implementing officers so as to safeguard the right of citizens and e-mail the report on within a month. The green panel said that citizens have Constitutional right to peaceful environment and noise pollution beyond prescribed norms is serious punishable crime for which adequate preventive and remedial action is needed. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murder”There has to be strict action of identifying and mapping the hotspots of noise pollution, requiring installation of noise measuring device by the users of noise creating devices having potential of causing high noise level, beyond the prescribed limit,” the bench said. “There has to be a surveillance and monitoring mechanism, coordination with the educational institutions and resident welfare associations at regular intervals,” it added. NGT said it had an interaction with the concerned officers in an attempt to advise them on understanding their responsibility and accountability to law and their duty to the society. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsThe tribunal said taking action against only four persons for noise pollution or simply writing to Central Pollution Control Board hardly meets the expectations when there is large scale violation of law. It said that technical inputs can be taken by personal meeting with the CPCB and Delhi Pollution Control Committee. “Simply writing a letter to them is just avoiding the responsibility. Let the officers now do their duty, take remedial steps and furnish their reports of their efforts,” it said while posting the matter for hearing on July 12. Merely passing an order that laws should be complied with is not enough for authorities as they also need to take action violators, the tribunal had earlier said in a case against the use of loudspeaker to curb noise pollution. The NGT’s observation came while dealing with a plea alleging that illegal use of loudspeakers at mosques was adversely affecting the health of the residents living in their vicinity in East Delhi. The tribunal was hearing a plea by NGO Akhand Bharat Morcha alleging that illegal use of loudspeakers at such places adversely affected the health of the residents living in their vicinity.last_img read more

TMC removes Congs name from its logo

first_imgNew Delhi: Twenty-one years after officially separating from the Congress, Mamata Banerjee-led TMC has removed the grand old party’s name from its logo. The new logo has Trinamool written in green with twin flowers and blue background. It has been in use for a week now, party sources said. It was way back in 1998 that present West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee broke away from the Congress and formed the TMC over differences of opinion on dealing with the then ruling CPI(M). “TMC is called Trinamool and after 21 years, it was time for change,” a party leader said. The Congress name has been dropped from party banners, posters and all communication material. However, it will remain registered with the Election Commission as Trinamool Congress, party sources said. The official Facebook and Twitter pages of the party, the CM, her nephew Abhishek Banerjee, and Trinamool’s leader in the Rajya Sabha Derek O Brien already have the new logo.last_img read more

AAP govt moves SC seeking constitution of larger bench

first_imgNEW DELHI: The AAP government on Monday moved the Supreme Court seeking constitution of a larger bench to expeditiously decide the issue of control over administrative services in Delhi. A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi told the Delhi government counsel that it will look into the matter. The apex court had on February 14 referred to the issue of control of services to a larger bench after delivering a split verdict.The two-judge bench had said that the Centre should have the final word on posting and transfer of bureaucrats in the national capital administration, but their disagreement on finer details resulted in a split verdict and the matter was referred to a larger bench. The bench, which was called upon to decide on six vexatious issues pertaining to a long-running feud between the central and the national capital governments, had given a unanimous verdict on the remaining five counts and had ruled that the Delhi government’s Anti-Corruption Branch (ACB) cannot probe the Centre’s employees in corruption cases. Out of six contentious issues, the Delhi government had won in three and lost to the Centre on two critical aspects of investigating power to probe central government employees, and for setting up of inquiry commissions. While it left for a larger bench to conclusively decide who will have control over administrative services in the national capital, the apex court had unanimously ruled that the power to appoint inquiry commissions would rest with the Centre as “there is no ‘State Government’ in the Union Territory and the State Government (for this purpose) shall mean the Central Government”. In its 202-page verdict, the court had however held that the elected Delhi government will have the right to appoint public prosecutors, to decide land revenue matters and also to appoint or deal with electricity commission or board. On the most contentious issue, Justice A.K. Sikri had said: “The transfers and postings of secretaries, heads of departments and other officers in the scale of Joint Secretary to the Government of India and above can be done by the Lieutenant Governor and the file submitted to him directly. “For other levels, including DANICS (Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Civil Service) officers, files can be routed through the chief minister to L-G. In case of difference of opinion between the L-G and the chief minister, the view of the L-G should prevail and the Ministry of Home Affairs can issue a suitable notification.” Justice Sikri noted that all transfers and postings for Grade III and IV DASS (Delhi Administration Subordinate Service) are done by the Secretary (Services), while those for Grades I and II are done by the Chief Secretary. For “greater transparency” in transfer and posting of officers of this cadre, he suggested a civil services board headed by the Secretary (Services) for the Grade III and IV officials and by the Chief Secretary for the Grade I and II. However, Justice Ashok Bhushan, in his dissenting view, was blunter and had held that the power to regulate transfer and posting of officers working for the Delhi government was not available to its assembly in the first place under the Constitution.last_img read more

Ohio State womens hockey finishes off regular season with split vs No

OSU freshman forward Maddy Field (22) fights for the puck during a game against Minnesota State on Oct. 23 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won 5-3.Credit: Courtesy of OSUIn the final weekend of matchups of the regular season, the Ohio State women’s ice hockey team (10-23-1, 6-21-1) split its series with the No. 9-ranked University of North Dakota (16-11-5, 13-10-5).OSU showcased the strides it has made this season as it beat the Fighting Hawks 3-1 on Friday before falling 3-2 in a tight contest a day later.On Friday, after an extremely competitive first period, the Buckeyes and Fighting Hawks were tied 0-0. Despite 17 combined shots from both teams, neither OSU nor North Dakota was able to find the back of the net.However, that turned around 16:51 into the second period, as OSU got on the board off a goal from freshman forward Maddy Field. Sophomore defenseman Dani Sadek then doubled the Buckeyes’ lead less than three minutes later.In the third period, North Dakota’s Meghan Dufault knocked the puck past OSU goalie Alex LaMere to cut the Buckeyes lead in half with a little more than three minutes to play. The Fighting Hawks pulled their goalie in an attempt to find the equalizer, but that alllowed OSU junior Claudia Kepler to score with four seconds remaining on an open nut to seal the 3-1 result.In Saturday’s senior day affair, OSU jumped out to its fastest start of the season with two goals in the first three minutes. Junior Alexa Ranahan and sophomore Lauren Spring scored the goals for the Scarlet and Gray, with Ranahan’s being her first of the season. However, North Dakota answered with a goal with less than three minutes left in the first period — a sign of things to come in the contest.In the second period, North Dakota was able to get two shots past redshirt senior goalkeeper Stacy Danczak, who got the start in her final game at OSU. Becca Kohler and Dufault scored the two goals for the Fighting Hawks. Neither team was able to score in the third, as the game culminated in a 3-2 final score.After the game, seven senior Buckeyes — Danczak, Melani Moylan, Julia McKinnon, Kendall Curtis, Cara Zubko, Maggie Rothgery and Bryanna Neuwald — were honored at center ice in recognition for their time wearing scarlet and gray.Both games were close contests, and OSU assistant coach Carson Duggan said she thinks the second game was decided by a few more positive plays for North Dakota.“Those are two evenly matched teams and it was just they executed one more time than we did,” Duggan said. “I think we had our chances and we battled hard. We came out with a lot of energy and it’s an emotional day for a lot of kids, but I think that was the only difference is that they executed one more time than we did.”Field, however, offered a different explanation for Saturday’s defeat, citing the referees as an issue in the second game and the way the team let the officials’ calls affect their play.“Obviously you can’t blame it on the reffing, but I think the reffing kind of let the game get out of control,” she said. “We had a really good start but I think we let the reffing get in our head and we let a weak goal in.”The team was only able to score on one of eight power plays over the weekend, which is something they will look to improve upon in their first-round playoff series against Minnesota next weekend.“I think that we won a lot of our battles and we were getting shots at the net,” Field said. “I think we need to work on capitalizing on power plays but I think we did really well penalty killing.”Duggan said she thinks the team’s drive and tenacity will be keys to the playoff games next weekend.“I think just leaving it out there. At this point in the season it’s who wants it more and how bad do you want it and what are you willing to do to get it, and I think our girls showed a lot of character and a lot of heart this weekend,” Duggan said. “We have a short bench, and the girls battled hard, as a coach that’s all you can ask for. So I think just taking that mentality and why not let’s see what we can do in Minnesota.”OSU is scheduled to travel to Minnesota next weekend to take on the Golden Gophers in the first round of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association playoffs. The puck is set to drop in Minneapolis on 8:07 p.m. on Friday and 5:07 p.m. on Saturday. If Friday’s and Saturday’s games are split, there will be a deciding game on Sunday. read more

Mens Basketball Micah Potter transferring from Ohio State

Ohio State then-sophomore center Micah Potter finishes on a dunk with 6:19 remaining in the first half of Ohio State’s win over Wooster. Credit: Jacob Myers | Former Managing EditorJunior forward Micah Potter announced that he will be transferring from Ohio State according to a release by the program.Potter averaged 4.1 points and 2.8 rebounds per game while shooting 46 percent from the field in 59 games and 16 starts during his Buckeye career.“We appreciate Micah’s contributions to our program, and we wish him the very best moving forward,” Ohio State head coach Chris Holtmann said via the release.Ohio State did not release information as to where Potter would be transferring.The Buckeyes will open the season Wednesday at 6 p.m. against Cincinnati. read more

Allardyce I should still be the England manager

first_imgSam Allardyce believes that he should still be the England manager and admitted that he is feeling jealous over their recent success in his absenceThe 63-year-old was infamously fired from the role as head coach of the national side in September 2016, despite having only been in charge for one game in a last-gasp 1-0 victory away to Slovakia.Allardyce’s spell of 67 days in charge was the shortest of any England manager.In a BBC documentary called “Managing England: The Impossible Job”, the former Everton boss reflected on his controversial exit from England.“Jealousy is what I feel. Massively disappointed. That should be me there. Unfortunately because of the circumstances that wasn’t the case,” said Allardyce, according to The Sack Race.Jadon Sancho, Borussia DortmundCrouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“One night I was playing golf – next day they said you can’t carry on. And I still don’t know why… because in the cold light of day, there was no substance, nothing behind it.“If a bit more time was taken, a bit more patience, I believe I should still be the England manager.“I’ve bounced back now – and while I will be extremely jealous I will be watching Gareth and the lads and hope they do extremely well.”Despite having guided Everton to a top 10 finish in the Premier League last season, Allardyce was fired by the board and replaced by Marco Silva.last_img read more