Red Cross Announces Upcoming Blood Drives In Wilmington

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — The American Red Cross is conducting the following upcoming blood drives in Wilmington:Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 1pm-7pm: Wilmington Friendship (Masonic) Lodge (32 Church Street)Saturday, September 29, 2018, 10am-3pm: Wilmington Congregational Church (220 Middlesex Avenue)Sunday, November 4, 2018, 10am-3pm: St. Thomas/Wilmington Knights of Columbus Hall (126 Middlesex Avenue)Interested donors can call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to book an appointment, but walk-ins ARE welcome.Here are some important facts about blood and the blood donation process, from the Red Cross’s website:Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood.More than 41,000 blood donations are needed every day.More than 1.6 million people were diagnosed with cancer last year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.Although an estimated 38% of the U.S. population is eligible to donate, less than 10% actually do each year.Donating blood is a safe process. A sterile needle is used only once for each donor and then discarded.Blood donation is a simple four-step process: registration, medical history and mini-physical, donation and refreshments.Every blood donor is given a mini-physical, checking the donor’s temperature, blood pressure, pulse and hemoglobin to ensure that it is safe for the donor to give blood.The actual blood donation typically takes less than 10-12 minutes. The entire process, from the time you arrive to the time you leave, takes about an hour and 15 minutes.First time donor?  Haven’t given blood in awhile?  Read this checklist so you know what to expect.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedRed Cross Announces Upcoming Blood Drives In WilmingtonIn “Community”Red Cross Announces Upcoming Blood Drives In WilmingtonIn “Community”Red Cross Announces Upcoming Blood Drives In WilmingtonIn “Community”last_img read more

San Francisco bans ecigarettes

first_imgThe San Francisco Board of Supervisors’ vote to approve a ban on selling e-cigarettes was unanimous.  Bill O’Leary/The Washington Post via Getty Images San Francisco has banned the sale of e-cigarettes like Juul, with the board of supervisors voting unanimously to approve the ordinance Tuesday. It’s the first city to implement such a ban. E-cigarettes are battery-operated, converting flavored liquid nicotine into a vapor inhaled by the user. Juul, headquartered in San Francisco, has been making headlines after its popularity among teenagers forced it to shutter its social media presence late last year while the FDA investigated concerns it was promoting underage use of tobacco products. “We spent the ’90s battling Big Tobacco. And now we see its new form through e-cigarettes,” supervisor Shamann Walton said Tuesday, according to the San Francisco Examiner. “I am not going to put profits of Big Tobacco over the health of our children and our young people.” Read more: How to quit Juuling, according to addiction experts Tags Share your voice In response to Juul’s PR push to absolve itself for creating the youth e-cig epidemic (teen e-cig use spiked 78% last year), we’ve launched an ad campaign that tells the truth:Juul enticed kids with sweet flavors like mango and mint, then hooked them with a strong nicotine hit. pic.twitter.com/bQDreyn06f— Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (@TobaccoFreeKids) June 25, 2019 Juul controversy “Juul enticed kids with sweet flavors like mango, creme and mint, then hooked them with a strong nicotine hit,” the poster says. “Last year, teen e-cigarette use spiked 78%. It’s an epidemic.” Kwong said Juul has already taken “aggressive actions” to prevent underage purchasing of its products, like online age verification and its halting of sales of non-tobacco and non-menthol flavored pods across the nation last year. He also pointed to Juul shutting down its Facebook and Instagram accounts. The ordinance was also opposed by corner store owners, according to the Examiner, with the Small Business Commission arguing it’d cost $70 million in sales for the 738 businesses that sell vapes in San Francisco. Read more: Vaping might ruin your smile, permanentlyThe board of supervisors didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment, but CNET sister site CBS News said the ordinance now awaits Mayor London Breed’s signature and will take effect six months after that. Offending retailers could be fined $1,000. “San Francisco has never been afraid to lead,” City Attorney Dennis Herrera said. “Youth vaping is an epidemic. If the federal government is not going to act to protect our kids, San Francisco will.”  San Francisco in May was also the first city to ban its police officers from using facial recognition technology, citing a breach of citizens’ civil liberties. Culture Gadgets Politics Legalcenter_img The ordinance was introduced in March. It prohibits the sale of e-cigarettes that require, but have not received, FDA approval for marketing. The ban will create a “black market” for vapes, Ted Kwong, a Juul Labs spokesperson, told CNET in an emailed statement. Regulation rather than prohibition would be more effective, he said. “This full prohibition will drive former adult smokers who successfully switched to vapor products back to deadly cigarettes,” Kwong said. “In San Francisco, we are supporting efforts going forward to enact new strict regulation and enforcement.” Regulations could include mandatory electronic ID scanning to verify age, restricting bulk purchasing to prevent third-party reselling of vapes, city permits for online vape retailers and marketing restrictions, Juul suggested.The ordinance’s passage follows the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids earlier Tuesday tweeting a poster accusing Juul of “luring” children to use its products by offering flavors like mango and mint. Juul vaporizer: What is it, why are teens addicted and is it safe? How to quit Juuling, according to addiction experts Juul is shutting down on social media, halting retail orders for flavored pods Juul is giving users tools to help them quit its e-cigs 12 Photos 3 Meet the smart vapes: App-enabled vaporizers seek to cash in on cannabis Commentslast_img read more

Supreme Court rejects BCCI plea to review order on Lodha panel recommendations

first_imgThe Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a petition filed by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to review the apex court’s order, in which it agreed with the recommendations of the Justice (retd) RM Lodha Committee. The recommendations, when implemented, would bring more transparency to the cricketing body.The BCCI, led by president Anurag Thakur, has said that implementing the recommendations could spell more problems for the cricketing body, including its expulsion from the International Cricket Council (ICC).In an affidavit filed with the apex court on Monday, Thakur had said of his conversation with ICC President Shashank Manohar: “When he was president of BCCI, he had taken a view that the Lodha panel recommendations of appointing a nominee of the CAG on the board’s Apex Council would amount to governmental interference and might invoke an action of suspension from ICC,” Thakur had said.The Lodha panel recommendations, it may be noted, include barring ministers and civil servants as well as those above 70 years of age from becoming BCCI office bearers. If implemented, this could end political presence in the BCCI.The current BCCI president, Anurag Thakur, is a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader. Former BCCI chief Sharad Pawar is the founder of Nationalist Congress Party. He is a former Union Cabinet minister and the former chief minister of Maharashtra.The BCCI has also contested the one-state-one-vote proposal, which limits the voting power of traditionally more influential states and their selectors; and a cooling off period in its review petition in the Supreme Court.If and when the recommendations are implemented, Thakur and many others could be on their way out of the BCCI. However, Thakur could land a role in the ICC, with sources saying that the world cricketing body is keen on giving Thakur the chairmanship role in its development committee. He will succeed Manohar.last_img read more

Bill placed in US Congress against JamaateIslami Shibir

first_imgBill placed in US Congress against Jamaat-e-Islami, Shibir. Photo: CollectedA bill has been placed in the US Congress, calling on the Bangladesh government to stop radical organisations including Jamaat-e-Islami and Islami Chhatra Shibir, who pose threat to the country’s stability and secular democracy, reports BSS.Congressman Jim Banks of Indiana State introduced the bill titled ‘Expressing concern about the threat posed to democracy and the democratic process by theocratic groups operating in Bangladesh’ in the House of Representatives on 20 November, according to the US Congress official website.The House Resolution 1156 has been referred to the House Foreign Affairs Committee as per the website.The bill called on the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the State Department to halt all partnerships and funding arrangements with groups affiliated radical organisation including Jamaat-e-Islami and Islami Chhatra Shibir.Quoting a report of Bangladesh Hindu Buddhist Christian Unity Council, it said religious minorities were targeted by the Bangladesh Nationalist Party, Jamaat-e-Islami, and Islami Chhatra Shibir, during previous elections, as a result of which 495 Hindu homes were damaged, 585 shops were attacked or looted, and 169 temples were vandalised between November 2013 and January 2014.It also referred that Jamaat-e-Islami activists have been involved in recent attacks on religious minorities in Bangladesh.Mentioning that national elections are expected to take place in Bangladesh on 30 December 2018, the bill called on the Bangladesh government to heed the Bangladesh election commission’s request to ensure security for minorities and maintain communal harmony for a peaceful election.The bill acknowledged the victims of the 1971 War of Independence and the spirit of secular democracy on which Bangladesh was founded.The nation of Bangladesh achieved independence in 1971 and established a secular democratic state, the bill mentioned and also noted this freedom was won at the cost of approximately 3 million deaths, more than 10 million displaced, and 200,000 women raped, many at the hands of Islamist militants led by Jamaat-e-Islami.The bill said repeated attacks on religious minorities, expanding religious intolerance, and growing destabilisation caused by radical groups, including Jamaat-e-Islami and Islami Chhatra Shibir, undermine United States economic and strategic interests in Bangladesh.In a statement, Philadelphia-based think tank, the Middle East Forum (MEF) has welcomed the bill saying “Jamaat-e-Islami is an influential and dangerous Islamist group with a long history of violence.In October last, Bangladesh Election Commission revoked the registration of Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami, a major ally of the BNP-led 20-party alliance, as a political party in compliance with a High Court order.In August 2013, the High Court declared Jamaat’s registration illegal following a writ petition filed in 2009 by Bangladesh Tariqat Federation’s secretary general Rezaul Haque Chandpuri and 24 others.In the petition, they said Jamaat was a religion-based political party and it did not believe in the independence and sovereignty of Bangladesh.last_img read more

CEC asks magistrates to act neutrally

first_imgChief election commissioner KM Nurul Huda. File photoChief election commissioner (CEC) KM Nurul Huda on Monday urged judicial magistrates to act neutrally to gain people’s confidence and ensure a fair election, reports UNB.”You must be free and fair as you are the judges. You’ll have to apply your judicious minds,” said KM Nurul Huda while briefing the judicial magistrates at election office in Agargaon.The CEC asked the magistrates to perform their duties as per the constitution and law.He said, the election commission is accountable to the nation, constitution, political parties and public for holding a fair election.Some 600 magistrates will perform duty from 29 December to 1 January to ensure a fair election atmosphere, Nurul Huda further said.Election commissioner Mahbub Alam said, it is their aim to make sure no candidate goes to the Jatiya Sangsad without confirming their win through votes.Election commissioners Rafiqul Islam, Kabita Khanam, brigadier (retd) Shahadat Hossain and EC secretary Helaluddin Ahmed also spoke at the briefing.last_img read more

Conditions for Egypts Morsi could lead to premature death Report

first_imgEgyptian president Mohamed MorsiDeposed Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi is being detained in conditions that fail to meet international standards and could lead to his premature death, according to a report released Wednesday by three British lawmakers.Morsi, who has a history of ill-health including diabetes, liver and kidney disease, is not receiving the adequate medical care required, the members of parliament found.The parliamentarians — who formed an Independent Detention Review Panel — also highlighted that 66-year-old Morsi is kept in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day, with just one hour for him to exercise alone.That could be classified as torture by the UN special rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, the panel noted.”Our conclusions are stark,” said panel chair Crispin Blunt MP, presenting the findings in London. “On his health, the denial of basic medical treatment to which he is entitled could lead to his premature death.”The whole overseeing chain of command up to the current president would have responsibility for this.”The panel requested to visit Morsi in prison to review detention and health conditions, but said it received no response from Egyptian authorities.The report was compiled using “all available testimonies”, including witness statements, reports by NGOs and evidence submitted independently, it added.Abdullah Morsi, Morsi’s son, who told the panel he has been denied access to the deposed president along with other relatives and his legal team, was quoted as saying in the statement that their “fears and concerns have been confirmed by the findings”.He called on the international community to condemn his father’s treatment and “push the Egyptian government to allow his family to visit, and for him to receive medical care”.”We do not want him to die in prison,” he added.Morsi was Egypt’s first democratically elected civilian president following the 2011 overthrow of longtime leader Hosni Mubarak during the Arab Spring uprisings.But his year in power proved deeply divisive and he was ousted by current president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, then the army chief, amid mass protests in 2013.last_img read more

A year in retrospect

first_imgA year passes by in a flurry, leaving memories of time and moments embedded indelibely on our minds. To celebrate the best of contemporary art in the last one year, TAD Arts presents its annual Art Show  A Celebration of art through 2012 & 2013. Conceptualized and organized by Niten Mehta, Director, TAD Arts, this group show will be on display from July 26 to July 31 at Visual Arts Gallery, India Habitat Center and will showcase some of the best contemporary art works of present times. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting”This is our annual art show where we handpick the best works/artists from our shows done in last one year and display them. This year too we have an excellent selection of masterpieces from renowned contemporary artists from all over India. These works represent the best in the contemporary art in India today,’ says Niten Mehta, from TAD Arts.In this exhibition, Suchit Sahni revisits his early learning years, where he was introduced to the view-finder. Superbly fascinated with the view-finder, he spent days and months looking through it at everything – visually replicating his visions as paintings. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixWhen one looks at his recent artworks, one clearly marks out the frame that encompasses the painting itself. Though the frame forms a part of the painting, he has very playfully and stylishly revisited a memory close to his heart with such ease.Rajiv Puri’s love for the woods and nature herself has been beautifully captured in his oeuvres d’art that are resplendent with a visual story, where each chapter transports us to a world of mysticism that forests have, where each frame bathes in lush green landscapes and a myriad other shades of nature’s bounty.  Known for his distinct portrayal of human form, artist Kamar Alam’s works revolves around spirituality and how it resides within every human being. With Silent Submission, the artist’s belief in humanity takes the foreground and has shaped in the form of his art works. Considering a triumph over biases that surrounds him, Kamar imparts the message of peace and through his works, he depicts his impartial and equal approach along with respect for all faiths.TAD Arts is a platform that showcases paintings, sculptures, arts & crafts, high-end interactive design, exhibition space design and art works of contemporary as well as ethnic nature. Some of the artists whose works will be on display in this exhibition are Kamar Alam, Suchit Sahni, Rajiv Puri, Anjana Mehra, Farhad Hussain, Hindol Brahmbhatt, Binoy Verghese, Kazi Nasir amongst others. Head over to the gallery and experience this contemporary collection adorning the walls.last_img read more