HHS allocates $498 million for hospital preparedness

first_imgMay 27, 2004 (CIDRAP News) – The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced this week it is allocating $498 million for grants to states to help healthcare facilities improve their ability to cope with bioterrorist attacks and other emergencies that could cause many casualties.With this year’s awards, HHS will have provided more than $1.5 billion for hospital preparedness over the past 3 years, the agency said. The grants go to states, territories, and four metropolitan areas: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC.The main purpose of the funding is to help healthcare facilities prepare for mass casualties that could result from bioterrorist attacks, other disease outbreaks, and natural disasters, HHS said in a news release. Other goals include improving the coordination of disease reporting by hospitals and state and local health departments, enhancing disease-reporting coordination among public health laboratories and hospital laboratories, and harmonizing the communication capabilities of these organizations.”States and communities can use these funds to improve emergency care in any health crisis, whether the source is a bioterror attack or other infectious disease outbreaks like SARS or West Nile virus, or any natural disaster like a flood or hurricane,” HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson stated in a news release.The grants to states range from $1.75 million for Wyoming to $38.8 million for California. The funds are handled by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). The agency awards a base grant of $1 million to each state or city, and the additional amount is based on population, according to HRSA officials.HRSA Administrator Elizabeth M. Duke, PhD, said hospitals can use the money to improve their ability to quickly add beds, isolate and decontaminate patients, find qualified volunteer healthcare workers, and plan for hospital-based caches of drugs and medical supplies.To qualify for the funds, states, cities, and territories have to update their hospital preparedness plans by reporting their achievements the previous year and plans for the coming year, HRSA officials told CIDRAP News.The states and other jurisdictions must submit applications for this year’s round of grants by July 1, said Richard J. Smith, director of HRSA’s Division of Healthcare Emergency Preparedness. The agency sent out guidance information on how to prepare the applications May 24, he told CIDRAP News.Smith said he couldn’t give specifics on how much of the hospital preparedness money awarded in the past 2 years has been used so far. Of the funds awarded in 2002, “We know that virtually all of that money, in excess of 90%, has been expended,” he said. Some of the fiscal year 2003 funds awarded last year have not yet been spent, he added, but he couldn’t give figures. Jurisdictions are allowed to carry over funds from the previous year provided they have a plan for using them.HRSA has not yet done a formal assessment of what has been achieved with the hospital preparedness funds awarded in recent years, according to Smith. However, the agency has established 15 “critical benchmarks” of preparedness, and in the applications they submit this year, states are required to report on certain “sentinel indicators” related to those benchmarks, he said.For example, states are being asked to report how many people have been enrolled in a registry of volunteer healthcare professionals who could help hospitals in a major emergency, Smith said.See also:May 24 HHS news releasehttp://archive.hhs.gov/news/press/2004pres/20040524.htmllast_img read more

Zlatan exit: Javier Hernandez ‘considers LA Galaxy switch’

first_img The former Bayer Leverkusen ace became a much-loved figure at Old Trafford for his impact off the bench, as he amassed 59 goals in 157 appearances for United between 2010 and 2015. His best goal-scoring season was his debut year in England, scoring 17 goals in the Premier League despite starting just 15 of his 27 appearances that 2010-11 season. He last hit form in a successful Bundesliga spell after leaving Manchester, enjoying two goal-laden seasons for Bayer Leverkusen. Read AlsoWest Ham rule out move for Fellaini despite midfield woes He then headed off for two years with West Ham but never really got going on his return to England – with his move seen as a missed opportunity by Hammers fans. A move away from Sevilla could suit both parties, with the MLS season set to kick off in late February. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Manchester United cult hero Javier Hernandez could be on the move again, with LA Galaxy showing interest in ‘Chicharito’ just months after his move to Sevilla from West Ham. The Mexican signed for £8million in the summer but has only managed one goal in La Liga after starting just four games in the Spanish top flight for the Andalusian side. He could slot in perfectly in Los Angeles, filling the void left by Zlatan Ibrahimovic after the big Swede’s free transfer to AC Milan this month. Galaxy have reportedly signaled their interest to the 31-year-old striker, who is weighing up the move according to ESPN Deportes. Chicharito will have big shoes to fill, after Ibrahimovic scored a huge 53 goals in 58 games for the West-coast side in his two US seasons. Zlatan Ibrahimovic left a big shoe at the MLSAdvertisement Promoted Content10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By OdeithThe Best Cars Of All TimeThe Models Of Paintings Whom The Artists Were Madly In Love With6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesBest Car Manufacturers In The World7 Truly Incredible Facts About Black HolesThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemTop 10 Disney Male Role ModelsWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games? Loading… last_img read more