Juventus beat Lazio to win a third successive Italian Cup final as goals from Dani Alves and Leonardo Bonucci kept them on course for a treble this season with a 2-0 victory in the Olympic Stadium on Wednesday.The Turin side, who are on the verge of winning a sixth successive Serie A championship before facing Real Madrid in the Champions League final in Cardiff on June 3, won the domestic cup for a record 12th time.”Compliments to the lads for what they did in the first half and for coming through a defensive test in the second,” coach Massimiliano Allegri told reporters.Allegri quickly turned his thoughts to the weekend when Juventus can clinch Serie A with a win over Crotone having missed their chance in a 3-1 defeat on Sunday away to AS Roma, who are four points behind with two fixtures remaining.”We’ve won the first title, now we want to clinch the second, Sunday against Crotone, who have taken 17 points from the last seven matches,” he said.”It’s going to be a difficult match. We’ll have to play a mean game like this evening’s.”Juventus, who beat Lazio in the final two years ago, settled the match in the opening 25 minutes with Alves putting them ahead in the 12th from a long, high cross by fellow Brazilian Alex Sandro.The right back’s volley was not as sweet as his goal in the Champions League semi-final second leg win over Monaco, but it proved just as effective, bouncing awkwardly on its way past goalkeeper Thomas Strakosha and inside the far post.advertisementLazio, who had hit the post in the sixth minute through striker Balde Keita, conceded a soft second goal 13 minutes later when Alex Sandro flicked on Paulo Dybala’s corner and Bonucci nipped into the six-yard box to knock the ball in.Lazio, who share the Olympic Stadium with AS Roma as a home ground in Serie A, made a better start to the second half and substitute Felipe Anderson’s low shot brought a good save from Gianluigi Buffon’s understudy Neto.Neto then clawed a Ciro Immobile header off the line after Gonzalo Higuain had been involved in two chances for Juventus that went begging.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a petition filed by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to review the apex court’s order, in which it agreed with the recommendations of the Justice (retd) RM Lodha Committee. The recommendations, when implemented, would bring more transparency to the cricketing body.The BCCI, led by president Anurag Thakur, has said that implementing the recommendations could spell more problems for the cricketing body, including its expulsion from the International Cricket Council (ICC).In an affidavit filed with the apex court on Monday, Thakur had said of his conversation with ICC President Shashank Manohar: “When he was president of BCCI, he had taken a view that the Lodha panel recommendations of appointing a nominee of the CAG on the board’s Apex Council would amount to governmental interference and might invoke an action of suspension from ICC,” Thakur had said.The Lodha panel recommendations, it may be noted, include barring ministers and civil servants as well as those above 70 years of age from becoming BCCI office bearers. If implemented, this could end political presence in the BCCI.The current BCCI president, Anurag Thakur, is a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader. Former BCCI chief Sharad Pawar is the founder of Nationalist Congress Party. He is a former Union Cabinet minister and the former chief minister of Maharashtra.The BCCI has also contested the one-state-one-vote proposal, which limits the voting power of traditionally more influential states and their selectors; and a cooling off period in its review petition in the Supreme Court.If and when the recommendations are implemented, Thakur and many others could be on their way out of the BCCI. However, Thakur could land a role in the ICC, with sources saying that the world cricketing body is keen on giving Thakur the chairmanship role in its development committee. He will succeed Manohar.
By JAMEY KEATEN and MARIA CHENG Associated PressGENEVA (AP) — A top Red Cross official said Friday he’s “more concerned than I have ever been” about the possible regional spread of the Ebola virus in Congo after a new spike in cases.Emanuele Capobianco spoke ahead of a key World Health Organization meeting taking place Friday about whether to declare the Ebola outbreak in northeastern Congo an international health emergency.In this Sunday, Sept 9, 2018 file photo, a health worker sprays disinfectant on his colleague after working at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, eastern Congo. Top Red Cross official Emanuele Capobianco said Friday April 12, 2019, that he’s “more concerned than I have ever been” about the possible regional spread of the Ebola virus in Congo after a recent spike in cases. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, File)To be designated a public health emergency of international concern, a situation must be “serious, unusual or unexpected,” threaten to infect other countries and require “immediate international action.”The Ebola outbreak in Congo announced on Aug. 1 has become the second-deadliest in history, behind the West African one from 2014-16 that killed more than 11,300 people.Congo’s health ministry on Thursday reported 1,206 confirmed and probable cases, including 764 deaths.Capobianco, head of health and care at the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, cited Congolese health ministry statistics on Thursday showing 40 new cases over two days this week.He called that rate unprecedented in this outbreak.Ebola cases have spiked in recent weeks and officials are increasingly losing track of where the virus is spreading. Many new Ebola cases aren’t linked to previously identified patients, and numerous people are dying in the community rather than in health centers where they might be isolated to prevent further infection.“The numbers are increasing. And so I’m more concerned than I have ever been of a potential regional spread,” Capobianco said, while cautioning it was a “personal” assessment.He cited lack of trust about Ebola treatment in the community, which had never faced an Ebola outbreak before, and insecurity caused by rebel groups that has hurt aid efforts.Previous global emergencies have been declared for the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea, the emergence of Zika virus in the Americas and the international attempt to eradicate polio. WHO was criticized for not declaring the 2014 Ebola outbreak an international emergency until nearly 1,000 people had died and the disease had spilled across borders.Emergency declarations almost always boost global attention and donor funding. In recent weeks, WHO has noted it is woefully short of the $148 million it says is needed to fight Ebola for the next six months. It had received only $74 million as of mid-March.WHO reported Thursday in a weekly Ebola bulletin that 57 health zones in Congo had reported new cases over the last three weeks.The outbreak is occurring close to the borders of Uganda and Rwanda, with South Sudan not far away.Tariq Riebl, who is based in a current Ebola hotspot, Butembo, for the International Rescue Committee, said a major obstacle to stopping the outbreak is that officials are simply unaware of how many Ebola cases there are.“We’re discovering people when it’s way too late,” he said, noting numerous cases were buried in secret and never reported to authorities. “Given the average number of cases we’re seeing now, this is not going to be over for at least another six months or more.”___Cheng reported from London.___Follow Africa news at https://twitter.com/AP_Africa
Posted by Share << Previous PostNext Post >> Billy Bishop Airport introduces enhanced screenings for ferry passengers Tuesday, March 13, 2018 TORONTO — Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ) has implemented new enhanced security procedures that may require passengers to go through random screenings.Effective immediately, the new procedures were put in place by Transport Canada under the Domestic Ferry Security Regulations. According to the airport, this may result in random baggage/belongings checks of some passengers for the presence of explosives.“The random screening will be completed by swabbing the exterior of the baggage and/or belongings and analyzing the swab taken with a portable detection device,” said the airport on its website. “Passengers may expect to be approached by Billy Bishop Airport Security staff to participate in the screening process prior to boarding the ferry.”Passengers can also access the airport via the pedestrian tunnel that connects the facility to the mainland, however the airport has yet to confirm whether the security screenings will be applicable to this access point as well.More news: Honolulu authorities investigate arsons at 3 Waikiki hotels; no injuries reportedThe last time YTZ updated its security measures was in July 2017 when it was authorized by the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) to conduct a secondary search and/or additional screening of electronics the size of a cell phone or larger. Tags: Airports, Billy Bishop Airport, Toronto Travelweek Group