Lands, Mines & Energy Minister Patrick Sendolo has assured the Indian steel company, Arcelor Mittal, that it will operate in a secure environment in Nimba despite the recent violent activities that damaged its facilities.Minister Sendolo, in an exclusive interview with the Daily Observer in Ganta while returning from Yekepa where the company operates, confirmed that destruction was carried out; but could not exactly state the level of damage done as the assessment is not yet complete.He said regardless of the attack and destruction of portion of the company’s facility, the Government of Liberia is doing everything to ensure that it operates in a secure environment.He added that those in the vincinity where the company is operating will also carry on their farming activities in peace without intimidation from security personnel or anyone, as the GOL studies the root causes of the problem and takes corrective measures to prevent a recurrence.Minister Sendolo, reacting to a question about the reasons associated with the recent violence, noted that Arcelor Mittal and the Government of Liberia signed an agreement to extract iron ore in Nimba; and that in the agreement, certain things were outlined to be done for the county and community members.Instead of dialoging to settle prevailing problems that were emerging from the agreement, some Liberians took the law into their hands and went on to perpetrate violence against the company, destroying its facilities, he said.The Lands, Mines & Energy Minister further noted that Government is conscious in ensuring that the extraction of iron ore in Mount Tokadi yields better fruit for all citizens in the county and communities where the operation takes place.He said acknowledged, however, that the people of Nimba do need a better living standard and that the Government is prevailing on Arcelor Mittal to provide such a condition.While it is essentially right for citizens of the county and communities to benefit from the resources, it is also incumbent upon them to channel their grievances through a structured, legal means and not through violence, he pointed out.Minister Sendolo admitted that talks have been going on amidst complaints from the people of Nimba about ArcelorMittal’s activities, and as Government they are engaging the Indian company to give people of the county their just benefits.“We know that there is a problem; and I do not want to back ArcelorMittal here that it is perfect in this agreement. However, this does not give anyone the right to carry on violence as it happened recently in the county,” Minister Sendolo asserted.Although the Minister could not provide any piece of information on the level of destruction carried out by the aggrieved party, Nimba lawmaker Jeremiah Koung had earlier informed this newspaper that a train was set ablaze while a bridge linking Sanniquellie and Gbaapa and Zolowee was burnt.Also, Representative Larry Younquoi of District # 8 in Nimba said that while he was in Yekepa, about two loads of looted materials from the facility were retrieved.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
…Commissioners clash over ‘Election 2019’ discussionsA high-level team from the Commonwealth Secretariat will be visiting Guyana to meet with top officials from the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) on Thursday.Political Adviser to the Commonwealth Secretariat, Dr Tres-Ann KremerThe aim of the meeting is to discuss the ongoing issues regarding election preparations.The team will include Adviser and Head, Electoral Support Section, Martin Kasirye; Political Adviser to the Commonwealth Secretariat, Dr Tres-Ann Kremer, and Head of Good Offices.The team is scheduled to arrive in Guyana today and will be here until Saturday. The meeting with the GECOM Chairman, retired Justice James Patterson and Commissioners is expected to last for two hours.This was confirmed by GECOM Commissioners Robeson Benn and Vincent Alexander.This meeting follows one that has taken place most recently between the Carter Center and officials of GECOM regarding election readiness. This meeting took place prior to the Court of Appeal decision.Besides that visit, during Tuesday’s statutory meeting, Commissioners on both sides clashed when “Election 2019”, which was placed on the agenda, came up for discussions.Benn, a People’s Progressive Party (PPP)-nominated Commissioner, told the media that Alexander requested that it be removed from the agenda and instead go with elections, alone.The former Minister, now Commissioner said this points to the overall position, manipulations and collusions that have been taking place to have elections occur in 2020.But Alexander had a different opinion. He said he objected to having “Election 2019” placed on the agenda because at the moment there is no mandate to conduct elections this year.CoverAside from these issues, Benn said he also raised concerns over the letter that Patterson wrote to President David Granger on March 19, outlining his positions with respect to elections to be held arising out of the no-confidence motion. The PPP-nominated Commissioner finds issue with the fact that the Chairman’s position did not arise from any vote put or finding of the Commission on the issues.“The public is led to believe that this is the Commission’s position. In this case, it was not even allowed for the Commission to vote one way or the other before a letter was sent to the President and since then, the President and others on the Government side have been using this letter as a cover for the positions in respect for elections and in itself after house-to-house registration,” he said.Another disagreement Benn had during Tuesday’s meeting is the fact that he had requested previously that GECOM cease and desist from house-to-house related actions. “It was a policy matter and not a legal matter and in any event, the imperatives arising out of the no-confidence motion, even if there is an extension or one or the other, GECOM should be prepared for elections within 90 days in any period.”GECOM has already commenced rolling out its 2019 work programme, which essentially is house-to-house registration, as of last weekend. Training in that regard has commenced. Training for trainers has been completed, while enumerators will be trained this weekend.On Friday, March 22, in a 2:1 split decision, the Court of Appeal ruled that a majority of 34 votes would have been needed to validly pass the no-confidence motion brought against the Government last year.The ruling means that the motion was not validly passed, and hence the coalition Administration was not toppled as a result of the events that occurred. The judgment has since been highly criticised since the judges inserted the word “absolute” into the constitutional provision regarding the majority.The matter is being appealed by the Opposition at the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ).
They can be turned in without fear of prosecution, so long as the guns haven’t been used in a criminal offence.Corporal Jodi Shelkie explains the amnesty is intended to reduce the number of firearms in the community, making it safer.“Unwanted weapons are a potential hazard. If they are not properly secured, they could be used by children, for example, to devastating consequences.” stated Cpl. Jodi Shelkie, “Also, these weapons can be stolen in a break and enter and used in the commission of a crime.”- Advertisement -Anyone with unwanted weapons, firearms or ammunition that they may not be legally entitled to own are asked to call the Fort St. John RCMP at 250-787-8100 to request an officer to pick them up from your residence. Do not bring any weapons or ammunition to the RCMP detachment.
As a result, Neuer finished third in the voting for the 2014 Ballon d’Or behind superstars Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, who won the title.Sidelined by a foot fracture since September, Neuer is set to play his first full match in Saturday’s friendly international against Austria in Klagenfurt.Germany fans hope their goalkeeper and captain will prove he is ready to face Mexico in Moscow on June 17 in their first World Cup match — none more so than one of his first coaches at Schalke.“He didn’t become a world-class goalkeeper for nothing. I hope he comes back better than ever,” Norbert Elgert, 61, told AFP at Schalke’s youth academy.Neuer was born in Gelsenkirchen in March 1986.He still has strong ties to the city having opened the youth club ‘MANUS’ in 2014 for disadvantaged children, which is supported by the Manuel Neuer Kids Foundation.Neuer started out in Schalke’s academy – dubbed ‘The Miners’ Forge’.– ‘Positively obsessed’ –After making his senior Bundesliga debut in August 2006, Neuer won the 2009 European Under-21 Championship in the same junior Germany team as future World Cup winners Mesut Ozil and Benedikt Hoewedes, also products of Schalke’s youth academy.German national football team goalkeeper Manuel Neuer stretches to catch the ball during a test match on May 30, 2018 ahead of the FIFA World Cup 2018 in Russia.The ‘Mannschaft’ stays for trainings in Rungghof until June 7, 2018. © POOL/AFP / MARKUS GILLIARNeuer joined Schalke as a small boy in 1991 and wept when he announced in April 2011, after 203 appearances for the Royal Blues, that he was leaving to join present club Bayern Munich.The move was the springboard to winning every title available for club and country, including both the Champions League and Club World Cup in 2013.In Neuer’s 298 appearances for Bayern, more than half have been clean sheets.He has made 74 appearances for Germany and let in just four goals in seven matches at the 2014 World Cup, keeping a clean sheet in the 1-0 win against Argentina in the final.However, there were few early signs of the huge career — or imposing height at 1.93m (6ft 4ins) — that Neuer was to reach.“I’ve known him since he was 10 or 12 years old. At that point he wasn’t fixed on being a goalkeeper,” explained Elgert, a former Schalke midfielder.“At that point, he was relatively short, there was no way of knowing he would grow so tall.“However, the one thing he had was that he was positively obsessed with football, even though he wasn’t considering a professional career at the time.“He could have been a pro as an outfield player, but what made him exceptional was his overall talent, his joy of life and of playing.“For Manuel, it’s irrelevant whether he’s playing with millions watching at home on television or with 100,000 in the stadium.“He’d happily play with no one watching.”– ‘Welcome home’ –Neuer is renowned for rock-solid confidence, quick reactions and an imposing presence in the box, which makes opposing strikers think twice.Elgert recalls how Neuer reacted to stiff competition in Schalke’s academy.“His real ambition didn’t emerge until he was in the Under-19s,” said Elgert.“He was not first-choice, an older goalkeeper was ahead of him, who was in age-group national team.“I told Manu: ‘With your talent, you can decide for yourself when you will get in the team’.”Sure enough, after a series of convincing performances, “Manuel quickly became our first-choice and the national goalkeeper for his age-group”.German coach Norbert Elgert, in charge of the Under-19 team at the Schalke’s youth academy, poses at the footbal club’s training grounds on October 2, 2017 in Gelsenkirchen.Schalke 04 are a sleeping giant in the German league, yet their youth academy is one of Germany’s most successful, producing World Cup winners, Bundesliga stars and Premier League exports. © AFP / Ryland JAMESIt has been seven years since Neuer left Schalke, yet he is far from forgotten in Gelsenkirchen and Elgert admits the announcement of his departure was a sad day.“Of course it hurt, the boy grew up here in the academy,” said Elgert.“He’s now 100 percent Bayern. For sure, he loves his current club and blossoms with it, but he’ll always remain ‘a Schalker’.“The boys who leave us always have a bit of Schalke in them.“It’s something beautiful and is why when they come back here we should always say ‘welcome home’.”0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Norbert Elgert was one of the first coaches of Germany captain and goalkeeper Manuel Neuer at Schalke 04. © AFP / Ryland JAMESGELSENKIRCHEN, Germany, May 30 – The pitheads around Gelsenkirchen bear testimony to the heavy industry linking the region to local Bundesliga club Schalke 04, nicknamed ‘The Miners’, where Manuel Neuer started his impressive career.The west German city’s famous son was voted the world’s best goalkeeper for four years running from 2013-16 and was Germany’s “Mr Safe Hands” at the 2014 World Cup with a string of superb performances.
0Shares0000Floyd Mayweather (left) and kickboxer Nasukawa (right) are undefeated © AFP / Behrouz MEHRITOKYO, Japan, Dec 31 – US boxing superstar Floyd “Money” Mayweather fights undefeated Japanese kickboxing prodigy Tenshin Nasukawa on Monday, a New Year’s Eve multi-million-dollar rumble outside Tokyo to be held under boxing rules.At 41, Mayweather is more than twice the age of his Japanese opponent, the 20-year-old known as “Ninja Boy” but will carry a more than 4kg (9lb) weight advantage into the ring. The bout in Saitama, north of Tokyo, will be fought over three rounds of three minutes but there are no judges and no winner will be declared unless there is a knockout.The bout will also not count on the record of either fighter — allowing both men to retain their cherished unbeaten records — and is being promoted as a pure exhibition match.It will also be boxing only — putting Nasukawa at a disadvantage, with the kickboxer reportedly liable to a $5 million fine if he aims a kick at Mayweather.The purse has not been officially disclosed but media reports have claimed that Mayweather is making $88 million for the nine minutes of action.At a pre-fight news conference, a relaxed-looking Mayweather said he could complete three rounds “in his sleep”.“It is all about entertainment. I don’t worry about anything,” said Mayweather, a legend in the boxing world who has a perfect 50 in and zero defeats record with 27 knockouts.The relaxed American said he would not be concerned even if he were to be floored by his Japanese opponent.“Me getting knocked out or me getting knocked down … I don’t worry about it at all. If that does happen, I mean that’s entertainment. That’s all we need to see,” said Mayweather.– ‘Gym rat’ –Kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa was little-known outside Japan before the Mayweather clash was announced © AFP/File / Toshifumi KITAMURAVirtually unknown outside the kickboxing ring in his own country, the bleach-blond Nasukawa from Chiba near Tokyo also boasts an unbeaten record.He won the world junior karate championship, made his professional kickboxing debut at the age of 16 and has a 28-0 record with 21 wins by knockout.Promoters RIZIN have hailed him as “perhaps the best combat sports prospect the country has ever seen” and the 20-year-old himself has claimed he has a “punch that boxers don’t have.”“I want to be the man who changes history. I’ll do that with these fists, with one punch — just watch,” Nasukawa said.Even Mayweather appears impressed, describing his opponent as “an unbelievable talent” and praising his lithe, “gym rat” physique.“He is very young. He is very active… very tough. I had a chance to see some highlights (of his performance) and I was impressed with Tenshin. I was very impressed with him.”Nasukawa has dismissed the idea that the boxing rules will count against him, saying: “All I have to do is to give 100 percent … Since Mayweather is expected to dodge my offence, I really want to hit him.”Nothing to lose: Even if knocked out, the three-round exhibition will not count against Floyd Mayweather’s perfect 50-0 record © AFP/File / Toshifumi KITAMURAThis is the second time Mayweather has been coaxed out of retirement. Last year, he knocked out mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor in the 10th round of a super-hyped boxing match.There are also unconfirmed rumours Mayweather could take on reigning UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, who said last month any match-up would be “twice as interesting” as the McGregor fight.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
0Shares0000Malta-born coach Dylan Kerr has guided Black Leopards to three consecutive South African Premiership victories © AFP / Yasuyoshi CHIBAJOHANNESBURG, South Africa, Jan 13 – A mid-season recovery by promoted Black Leopards in the South African Premiership extended to three straight wins Saturday when they triumphed 2-0 at home against SuperSport United.Zambian Mwape Musonda bagged a brace for the club from remote northeastern town Thohoyandou, converting a penalty early in the second half and banging in a late victory-clinching goal. Leopards’ Malta-born coach Dylan Kerr took charge late last year, replacing Joel Masutha after Leopards had won only twice and the club fell to the bottom of the table at one stage.Kerr, who joined Leopards from top Kenyan club Gor Mahia, had bouquets and brickbats for his team after outplaying mid-table SuperSport and rising to 11th.“We transformed what we practised at training all week into reality and became heroes in the eyes of our supporters. There was a real do-or-die spirit,” he said.“Keeping our first clean sheet since October was fantastic with our goalkeeper (King Ndlovu) making one crucial save from a free-kick when the match hung in the balance.“I was concerned, though, by the number of scoring chances we wasted through making wrong decisions in good positions and Musonda should have scored at least one more goal.”Elsewhere, Austrian Roland Putsche struck an 85th-minute equaliser to salvage a 2-2 draw for Cape Town City at home against third-from-bottom Baroka.Ayanda Patosi put City ahead on the stroke of half-time before a lively match took a dramatic turn with Baroka netting twice within six minutes soon after half-time.Tebogo Sodi equalised, then Jemondre Dickens fired a harshly-awarded penalty over Dutch goalkeeper Peter Leeuwenburg for the lead.Putsche rattled the woodwork with a long-range shot before firing the ball past Zimbabwean goalkeeper Elvis Chipezeze and into the net from just outside the six-yard box.In Durban, mid-table Highlands Park drew for the 10th time in 17 Premiership matches when they held bottom-half AmaZulu 0-0.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
G’DAY TO JIMMY FROM EVERYONE DOWN UNDER – TIR CHONAILL ABU (Thanks to Leanne Campbell for the pic)THAT’S some turn-out!More than 100 Donegal fans have gathered in Sydney this morning (or should I say evening over there) to cheer on Jim McGuinness and the lads in today’s All-Ireland Final. MORE THAN 100 DONEGAL FANS GATHER IN SYDNEY FOR MATCH! was last modified: September 23rd, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:MORE THAN 100 DONEGAL FANS GATHER IN SYDNEY FOR MATCH!
Cottonwood >> Firmly entrenched in the battle for the Northern Athletic League title, the Corning High football team heads to Cottonwood Friday to battle West Valley, one of two undefeated teams in the NAL standings. The Cards have not won in Cottonwood since at least 2002, meeting nearly every year either in league or nonleague play. “This is going to be our year, we’re hoping,” Corning senior running back Curtis McCoy said last week after a 34-28 win over Red Bluff, which joins Los Molinos …