Virus-wary Ilonggos find ways to mark ‘Freedom Day’

first_imgA recovery plan for the city is being crafted to enliven economic activities and give the people their much-needed jobs, he stressed. Mayor Treñas and Governor Defensor, on the other hand, urged Ilonggos to work together to achieve freedom against an unseen enemy, COVID-19. “The bill aims to give the executive branch of the government powers that undermine our fundamental right to free speech, right to peacefully assemble, the right to petition the government to redress of grievances, privacy of our communication, and right to due process,” according to the Movement Against Tyranny-Panay in a statement. “But we cannot just let the virus steal the bright future of Iloilo City. We cannot cower in fear forever. We have to overcome our fear and move forward,” said Treñas. “I advise those planning to hold rallies not to insist. We would strictly enforce the prohibition on any form of mass gathering during Independence Day,” said Dampal. “As we celebrate Independence Day, let us unite and fight as one in combatting this until the end. We will win against COVID-19,” said Defensor. ICPO director Police Colonel Eric Dampal cited the Department of Justice’s position that the holding of rallies are “temporarily banned” during quarantine to avoid direct transmission of the coronavirus disease 2019.  He assured Ilonggos that the provincial government is preparing a recovery plan which will prioritize agriculture, tourism and public transportation, among others. Protesters wear facemasks and observe physical distancing at the University of the Philippines Visayas – Iloilo City Campus. They mark Independence Day on June 12, 2020 by rallying against the Anti-Terrorism Bill. PHOTO BY BAYAN PANAY Prior to the rally, there was a public forum at the UPV City Campus Little Theater. The past two and a half months had been tough for the Ilonggos. The pandemic resulted in unemployment, closure of business establishments and loss of income. He reminded Ilonggos that the Philippines “gained independence because the people united and fought oppressors from other lands.” He also offered a wreath at the statue of Ilonggo Philippine Revolution hero General Martin Delgado at the plaza where, in 1898, the latter declared war against colonial Spain. On the other hand, Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. led the provincial government of Iloilo in a subdued  flag-raising ceremony at the historic plaza of Santa Barbara town. The rally at UPV centered on the controversial Anti-Terrorism Bill. The city government of Iloilo livestreamed a muted Independence Day program in its official Facebook page in lieu of a grand celebration at Plaza Libertad. A video presentation of the national anthem that featured local government officials and frontliners was shown. The Movement Against Tyranny-Panay spearheaded progressive groups in a brief “Mañanita Kontra Terorismo” rally with participants observing physical distancing and wearing facemasks at the University of the Philippines Visayas (UPV) – Iloilo City Campus. ILOILO City – How did Ilonggos mark the 122nd Philippine Independence Day on June 12 amid the threat of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)? “We are frustrated that amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the House of Representatives and the Senate prioritized this repressive bill over the urgent needs of the people for additional financial support to those affected by the lockdown, acquiring more test kits and establishing more testing laboratories, upgrading hospital facilities, providing adequate support for our health workers, and facilitating the safe and systematic return of overseas workers and stranded individuals,” according to the movement. “Right now, we are fighting again. We are fighting for independence from an enemy we cannot see,” said Defensor. The bill authorizes the arrest of terrorism suspects without judicial order from the court, and their detention for a maximum of 24 days without charges. There were no arrests made yesterday related to the Independence Day celebration, especially in Iloilo City. A day before it, the Iloilo City Police Office (ICPO) vowed to arrest and jail people holding rallies. Movement Against Tyranny-Panay also pointed out the bill’s vague definition of “terrorism” would be prone to abuses and would ultimately infringe on people’s democratic and civil liberties. Mayor Jerry Treñas also delivered his Independence Day message “virtually”. This year’s Independence Day celebration carried the theme “Kalayaan 2020: Towards a Free, United, and Safe Nation.”/PNlast_img read more

Pollard appointment backward step, says Sir Andy

first_imgBRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) – Fast bowling legend Sir Andy Roberts has questioned the timing of Kieron Pollard’s appointment as white-ball skipper and argues that sacked one-day skipper Jason Holder was not at fault for the West Indies’ wretched one-day form in recent years.In fact, the outspoken Antiguan believes that neither Pollard’s appointment nor the acquisition of a new head coach will have any impact on the Caribbean side’s fortunes, as the fundamental problem lies in the dearth of quality players available.“A captain is only as good right now as the players he has,” Sir Andy told the Mason and Guest radio cricket show here.He added: “I have no issues with what they’re (Cricket West Indies) trying to do but I’ve always said that the least problem we have is the coaching, our biggest problem is to find players.“It doesn’t matter who you have as head coach – if you could bring the best head coach in the world today with the players that we have you’ll be getting the same results because the coach goes not go on the field.”CWI announced Monday that Pollard would take over from Holder and Twenty20 skipper, Carlos Brathwaite with immediate effect.Also, the regional governing body said it had formally begun the recruitment process for a new permanent head coach, to fill the role currently being performed by ex-West Indies batsman Floyd Reifer on a temporary basis.It was Pollard’s elevation to the ODI captaincy, however, which made the headlines. Age 32, the Trinidadian has not played a single one-dayer in the last three years.Further, he boasts an unflattering batting average of 25 with the bat from 101 ODIs with three hundreds, while taking 50 wickets with his slow medium at nearly 40 runs apiece.“He’s 32. When the next ODI (World Cup) comes around he will be 36, 37. We should be looking to get good players (around 23). As usual, we’re always looking backward,” Sir Andy pointed out, adding that Pollard should have been given the captaincy five years ago when Holder was appointed.“They should have made him (Holder) understudy to Pollard (back then). Once they gave him Holder the captaincy and they stuck to it, then I don’t see the reason to go back to Kieron Pollard now.”Holder failed to win a single series during his tenure and also oversaw West Indies’ worst-ever showing at a World Cup last July, when the side finished ninth of 10 teams with just two wins.Sir Andy said CWI should have persisted with the 27-year-old Holder but afford him the benefit of an experienced coaching staff.“What are they basing Jason Holder’s captaincy on? Results or tactics on the field? If we’re going to be building and looking towards the future, I think you should stick with a younger captain who is in there for three, four years,” Sir Andy contended.“What they should have done is give him (Holder) the experience that is required with the coaching staff. That’s what they should have done. Are they blaming Jason’s captaincy for the results we’ve been having? If we don’t have good cricketers, those are the results we’re going to get. It doesn’t matter who is in charge as captain or who’s in charge of coaching.“I think our problem is that we’re not developing good cricketers – there is not enough pressure placed on players for personal development and I’ve been saying that for the last 10, 15 years. If these guys don’t take the opportunity to develop themselves, we are going to be stuck where we are.”last_img read more

Memorial Boxing Tournament to start on Saturday

first_imgSeventeenth International Memorial Boxing Tournament ‘Hakija Turajlić’ will be held on 18 and 19 May in organisation of Boxing Association of BiH and boxing club ‘Sarajevo’. Tournament will be held in Skenderija and 65 boxers from Qatar, Albania, England, Scotland and countries from the region will participate, reports Fena.Member of the Organising Committee Said Čolpa said that 10 boxers will represent BiH.Alija Turajlić, brother of deceased Hakija Turajlić thanked organisers for keeping the memory of his brother alive.Semi-final fights will be held on Saturday at 6 p.m. after the solemn opening of the tournament.last_img read more

Police to oversee enforcing city codes

first_imgMONTEBELLO – In an effort to improve effectiveness of its code enforcement bureau, the city has moved the bureau from the jurisdiction of the Fire Department to the Police Department. “We’re not trying to issue more tickets,” said Interim City Administrator Randy Narramore, “but we want more compliance from residents and businesses of city codes to enhance the look of our city.” He said the move to the Police Department will allow for better supervision and management of the bureau, which will still be housed at City Hall. Code officers write parking tickets, regulate zoning codes, monitor signage and enforce other city ordinances. The city is also in the process of hiring another officer to add to the three who are currently patrolling neighborhoods and businesses looking for violations. The city discussed moving the five-member department to the police station located next to City Hall. However, according to a report by Police Chief Garry Couso-Vasquez, the move was dismissed in consideration of customer service and to enable code enforcement to interact with the building and planning departments. In fact, the bureau will move into vacant office space within the planning and building departments. The Police Department is requesting office furniture, laptops, digital cameras, voice tape recorders, camcorders and replacement of three vehicles at a total cost of $80,000. At least one of the code enforcement vehicles has well over 200,000 miles on its odometer, Couso-Vasquez said. “The vehicles are in poor condition, substandard and need to be replaced,” he said. Couso-Vasquez added that the new equipment will significantly increase the ability of the code enforcement bureau to perform its daily duties. The new head of code enforcement is Lt. Brian Dragoo, a member of the Police Department’s Special Enforcement Bureau. “He’ll get the job done,” Couso-Vasquez said of Dragoo. Narramore said the step-up in code enforcement is just another tool in its arsenal for cleaning up the city. “Along with the cameras tracking graffiti, more code enforcement will make the city look better,” he said. [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more