US Navy surges USS Monterey after destroyer collisions

first_imgBack to overview,Home naval-today US Navy surges cruiser Monterey following recent collisions View post tag: US Navy Authorities View post tag: US 7th Fleet The US Navy has deployed Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Monterey (CG 61) and will deploy another destroyer to make up lost ballistic missile defense capability after two guided missile destroyers were severely damaged in recent collisions.USS Monterey departed Naval Station Norfolk October 16, for a surge deployment to the US 5th Fleet and US 6th Fleet areas of operation.An additional destroyer, the USS O’Kane, is to be deployed with the same task. According to USNI News, the USS O’Kane was set for an independent deployment before being tasked to head for the US 7th Fleet area of operations for ballistic missile defense support.The two ships are being deployed after the collisions of USS Fitzgerald and USS John S. McCain earlier this year. The lives of 17 US Navy sailors were lost in the two collisions.The guided-missile cruiser USS Monterey (CG 61), a component of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 10, returned to Naval Station Norfolk January 19 following a 7 1/2 month long deployment to 5th and 6th Fleet area of operations. She is part of the Navy’s optimized fleet response plan.Monterey will ensure a continuous ballistic missile defense presence and uninterrupted support for potential tasking.“I am inspired and motivated by the crew of USS Monterey. I could not be more proud and honored to serve with this crew,” said Capt. Dave Stoner, Monterey’s commanding officer. “The effort and skills demonstrated over the last two months is a testament to the strength and abilities of this crew. These Sailors have epitomized this ship’s motto, ‘Rough in Battle, Ready in Peace’.” US Navy surges cruiser Monterey following recent collisionscenter_img View post tag: USS Monterey View post tag: BMD October 17, 2017 Share this articlelast_img read more

New library website provides digital front door to Harvard resources

first_imgThe new site is built on an open-source platform, Drupal, under a Creative Commons copyright license. The code will be available in a public Github for other libraries to use.The library also upgraded its catalog, HOLLIS, to a cloud-based system called Alma, which lets users customize and share their search results. Better behind-the-scenes functionality speeds up the process of requesting materials. The cloud system will also search the collections more effectively by bringing articles, dissertations, and e-books not currently visible in HOLLIS Classic to the surface.The redesign was begun last summer by a team assembled from across the Harvard Library community. Suzanne Wones, associate University librarian for digital strategies and innovation, Claire DeMarco, assistant director of digital strategies, and Kerry Conley, director of communications at Harvard Library, led a team that included writer and digital content producer Abby Elizabeth Conway, senior user experience consultant Amy Deschenes, designer and multimedia specialist Enrique Diaz, and production systems librarian Lindsay Whitacre. The group partnered with Velir, a digital marketing agency based in nearby Somerville.“The website is a critical element of our digital infrastructure,” said Wones. “Most of the people accessing the library’s materials and services do so online. The new site leverages modern web technologies to make library materials and services easy to find and incredibly useful.”The site is designed as a permanent work in progress. The web team encourages visitors to provide feedback and continually makes enhancements based on user responses.“The library has so much to offer students and faculty,” said Conley. “Our goal was to create a website that was creatively designed, intuitive to use, and endlessly helpful. We wanted to build a go-to place online where faculty and students can discover library resources easily and access them simply to enrich their time at Harvard.” The Harvard Library on Wednesday launches its new website, combining the Harvard Library and Harvard College Library sites into one platform with users at its heart.Redesigned after extensive testing and feedback from more than 250 students, researchers, and faculty, the new site is intended to be intuitive, accessible, and simple to navigate — a single place where users can easily find and use library resources.“People increasingly start their search for information online,” said Sarah E. Thomas, vice president of the Harvard Library, University Librarian, and Roy E. Larsen Librarian of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. “[The] updated and streamlined website puts the user at the center, presents a unified view of library resources, and allows our diverse community to find information specific to their interests.”New features include brief “how-to” guides on topics such as using Harvard’s special collections and archives; borrowing, renewing, and returning library materials; and getting research help. A services and tools directory lists all of the libraries’ resources, including:The Lean Library browser extension, which gives seamless access to Harvard Library subscriptions from anywhere on the web;Ask a Librarian live chat;The Find a Space application, which makes library study spaces searchable for the first time.,“Our goal was to create a website that was creatively designed, intuitive to use, and endlessly helpful.” — Kerry Conley, director of communications at Harvard Librarylast_img read more

How Brisbane man got rich off apartments

first_imgThe design was all about open plan living.The 278sq m apartment was transferred to him in 2009 with a value of $1.304m.He had marketed his last remaining apartment at $1.38m and it sold for an undisclosed sum after 71 days on the market according to CoreLogic records. That’s in line with the CBD’s median days on market of 76. RAFTER COUNTRY: HOW PROPERTY FULFILLED A CHAMPION FAMILY GET THE COURIER-MAIL’S REAL ESTATE NEWS FREE & DIRECT TO INBOX How the Pinnacle building in the Parklands development looks today. Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 10:02Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -10:02 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD432p432p270p270p180p180pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenJune, 2018: Liz Tilley talks prestige property10:02 A file photo of Kim and David Pradella at the launch of their Pinnacle building at Parklands in 2003. The apartments were ahead of the times, favouring indoor-outdoor flow. QUEENSLAND’S RECORD-BREAKING MEGA PENTHOUSE FORMER ORIGIN STAR STILL KICKING GOALS IN 2018 The development won a multitude of accolades for the brothers including awards for urban renewal and multi level development, project over $100m and marketing excellence.David Pradella personally owned four luxury apartments across the development, with the three bedder at 6007/6 Parkland Boulevard the last one he’d held onto for about a decade. 6007/6 Parkland Boulevard, Brisbane City Qld 4000WHAT oversupply? Queensland richlister David Pradella can give a masterclass in flipping units, selling off his final apartment in The Parklands Brisbane that made he and brother Kim rich.The brothers have been involved in a multitude of developments after taking on the Pradella business from their father Cesare, who kicked off the family wealth when he began prefabricating houses 59 years ago. Looking towards the family living spaces in the L-shaped apartment.He’d also owned a 126 sqm two bedder that last sold for $700,000 in 2015, another 225 sqm one that sold for $1.6m in 2009 and a 219 sqm three bedder that also last transacted for $1.8m. The Brisbane CBD has seen a surge in new developments in recent years, which has seen the median price rise just 1.2 per cent in the past decade. FOLLOW SOPHIE FOSTER ON FACEBOOK PRADELLA RESIDENTIAL PROJECTS COMPLETED: 2015 Liberte — Kangaroo Point 2015Gardens — West End 2014 Skyview — Kelvin GroveCanvas — South Brisbane 2013 More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus18 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market18 hours agoUrban Edge — Kelvin Grove 2010 Flow — West End 2009 Tempo — West EndParkland — Brisbane CBD 2006 Allegro — South Brisbane 2005 Viva — Fortitude Valley 2004 Leftbank — West End 2003 Encore — ToowongRiva — IndooroopillyThe Shoals — Mackay 2001 Verandahs — Indooroopilly 2000 West End Central — West End 1999 La Foresta — Bardon 1994 Paradise Island — Gold Coast 1988 Hillcrest — South Brisbane 1986 Centrepoint — Spring Hill 1981 The Summit — Spring Hill 1969 Ridge — Spring Hill (Source: Pradella) David Pradella.The Parklands at Roma Street in the Brisbane CBD was a five building development created in 2003 that was ahead of the times, with amenities such as a 25 metre indoor heated lap pool, two outdoor pools, spas, sauna rooms, change rooms, fully equipped gyms and BBQ facilities, meeting rooms, and large entertainment spaces.last_img read more

Upbeat Gujarat face resurgent Bengaluru in Pro Kabaddi League (PKL)-6 final

first_imgMumbai: Gujarat Fortunegiants will look to tighten all screws in their second successive attempt at glory when they face a resurgent Bengaluru Bulls in the summit clash of the Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) Season 6 at the NSCI Stadium here on Saturday.The PKL-6 final will interestingly be a battle between two sides both of which have tasted pressure but failed to own the crown in previous editions.While Gujarat finished runners-up in their debut season after losing to 2017 title holders Patna Pirates, Bengaluru had the opportunity of winning their maiden title in the 2015 season before they lost out to U Mumba.Going into the crucial summit clash, Gujarat will again bank on their star raider pair of K. Prapanjan and Sachin while captain Sunil Kumar and the likes of Sachin Vittala and Vikram Kandola will be in defence.The performance of the all-round pair of Hadi Oshtorak and Rohit Gulia has been impressive and will look to continue that momentum.After the 38-31 win against UP Yoddhas in the second qualifier, Gujarat coach Manpreet Singh rightfully pointed out on the need to work on their defence in the later part of their matches.Gujarat’s defence was exposed from the fact that the Yoddhas managed to give a late scare by pocketing as many as 17 points, including an All Out in the second half.“UP is a great team, we had no doubt they would come hard at us in the second half. We also made a few mistakes and need to correct those if we want to lift the title on Saturday,” Singh told IANS on Thursday.On the other hand, fresh from the massive 41-29 win over Gujarat in the first qualifier, Bengaluru will be hoping for a repeat in the final.Bengaluru’s fortunes will once again bank on the performance of the likes of Pawan Sehrawat and skipper Rohit Kumar, who were the top scorers with 13 and 11 points respectively in their previous match.While Rohit will spearhead the raiding department that also comprises the likes of Pawana and Kashiling Adake, the defence line will have the brilliance of Mahender Singh, Amit Sheoran, Ashish Kumar and Sandeep.All-rounders Jasmer Gulia and Mahesh Magdum will also need to contribute to the cause if they dream of lifting the title.Commenting on the big final, Bengaluru coach B.C. Ramesh said it will be a game of equals and the side which can hold its nerves on the day will be the eventual winners. IANS Also Read: Sports Newslast_img read more

Russia Upholds Tradition with 5-0 Wallop of Saudis in Opener

first_imgPutin congratulates coachHost, Russia thursday night got their World Cup campaign in flying colour following a 5-0 spanking of Saudi Arabia in the opening match of 2018 finals staged for the first time in the Siberian region.Denis Cheryshev struck twice for Russia as the World Cup host were able to sustain the age long tradition of host nation not losing its opening match of the campaign. No host nation has lost in the nine previous curtain-raiser and the Red Army did it in grand style to increase the number of home team wins to seven times.Previously, were the 7-1 defeat of USA by Italy in 1934, the 4-0 win of Brazil over Mexico in 1950, host, Sweden beating Mexico 3-0 in 1958 and Switzerland losing to host, Chile 3-1 in 1962 while Germany wrecked Costa Rica 4-2 12 years ago in 2006 and at the last edition four years ago, host Brazil won 3-1 over Croatia. And yesterday night, Lury Gazinsky scored after 12 minutes and Cheryshev added a second before the break after coming on as an injury replacement for Alan Dzagoev.Artem Dzuyba netted a third before terrific late efforts from Cheryshev and Aleksandr Golovin wrapped up Russia’s first win since October to launch their Group A campaign in style.Russia headed into the curtainraiser at the 80,000-capacity Luzhniki, the crucible of Russian and Soviet sport, without a victory in over eight months and ranked a lowly 70th in the world.For Saudi Arabia it was a return to the global showpiece for the first time in 12 years, with their only previous finals wins at the 1994 World Cup.Only South Africa, in 2010, have failed to advance from the group stage as the host nation and a seven-match winless run had ramped up the pressure on Stanislav Cherchesov’s side.A lack of an attacking threat in recent outings was a primary concern for Russia going into a group campaign in which they will also face Egypt and Uruguay.Those fears were soon washed away, at least for the time being, as Alexander Samedov and Fedor Smolov carved out early chances only to be denied by desperate sliding blocks.The opening goal came soon after, as Saudi Arabia failed to clear a corner and a curling cross in from the left by Golovin picked out an unmarked Gazinsky to head low into the far corner.It was a goal that prompted Russian President Vladimir Putin to turn to the Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, seated alongside FIFA chief Gianni Infantino, and shake his hand.Russia lost Dzagoev to a hamstring injury midway through the first half, the CSKA Moscow midfielder clutching his hamstring as he crumpled to the turf.But his replacement, former Real Madrid winger Cheryshev, celebrated his recent recall to the national side with Russia’s second goal two minutes before half-time.Cheryshev was still left with plenty of work to do inside the area after a pass from Roman Zobnin, brilliantly flicking the ball past two closing defenders before rifling into the roof of the net.In a related development, Russia manager Stanislav Cherchesov has revealed that he was congratulated by Russian president Vladimir Putin after the emphatic win.Speaking to reports after the game, Cherchesov told reporters ​(per Agence-France Presse): “The head of state called me and congratulated me, told me to keep playing the way we were, to keep going.”Despite receiving strong criticism before the match, the 54-year-old revealed that he is ‘relaxed’ as his side look towards their second game of the tournament against Egypt on Tuesday.“I am relaxed. Why should I be stressed?” Cherchesov asked. “This is just the start and not the end. Just a little more and the score could have been 1-1,” said the former national team goalkeeper.“Today was simply proof that we are on the right track, but we have to turn the page and look at the next game. Our opponents will be getting stronger by the match.”He also admitted that his side have been positive leading up to the tournament, but knows that things will only get more difficult from here, with games against Egypt and Uruguay to come.“After the draw we started understanding and seeing there is a crescendo,” he explained, per ​BBC Sport.“We made the first step, then there is a stronger opponent. We don’t know if Mohamed Salah is going to play [in the match against Egypt]. With him or without him it is a respectably strong team, with him stronger obviously. It is just a different adversary.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more