American baptist minister Al Sharpton pulled out of a debate at the Union on Friday night, instead preferring to give a speech before the debate began. Originally scheduled to lead the proposition on the motion “This house believes the United States is institutionally racist,” the Reverend withdrew on short notice from participating in the main debate.Mr Sharpton had previously been expected to join Black Panther leader Aaron Dixon and liberal blogger Mychal Denzel Smith in supporting the motion, against opposition from Fox News contributor David Webb, conservative commentator Joe Hicks and BBC radio host Charlie Wolf.A statement on the Oxford Union website read, “Instead of the Emergency Debate prior to the US Racism Debate this evening, there will be an individual address by Rev Al Sharpton as a precursor to the main Debate.”No further explanation was given and many attendees of the debate were disappointed not to hear Mr Sharpton participate in the debate itself. Instead of debating, Mr Sharpton delivered a wide ranging 45 minute talk at about 7pm.Other participants in the debate were quick to condemn Mr Sharpton’sactions. David Webb, billed as a “conservative commentator and contributor to Fox News” by the Union, attacked the MSNBC host. Speaking to the US news network Breitbart, Webb stated, “He [Sharpton] doesn’t want to be exposed for what he really is – a shakedown artist and racial coward. After years of conning people into giving him money by fanning the flames of racism, he’s just too afraid to have a civil, fact-based conversation about the issues of race in America.”Al Sharpton is no stranger to controversy in the US. An informal adviser to both President Obama and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, his comments on the Ferguson shooting provoked criticism from the American Right.In the debate itself, Webb condemned Sharpton as a “coward” for not speaking and the other opposition speakers expressed indignation for not subjecting his views to scrutiny. Outside the debate Webb stated, “It would be wrong to allow Sharpton to get away with just his usual thin, inflammatory rhetoric when this is supposed to be a substantive discussion.”Student reaction to Sharpton’s decision to avoid the debate was mixed. Ben Evans, a first year PPEist at Univ said, “Given the weakness of the opposition, he wasn’t needed”.First year historian Jack Edwards commented, ‘‘I was a bit disappointed notto see him in head-to-head debate. However, his talk was very good and gave us a greater opportunity to question him directly. He was very good but it would have been better if he had spoken and debated.’’There was some unhappiness from Union officials at Sharpton’s decision. A Union insider told Cherwell, ‘‘Listening to the debate, it became clear that the quality of the speakers wasn’t quite up to Union standard.’’The Union could not be reached for comment.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York By Anthony Giudice via QNS.comHundreds of business owners came together to celebrate their victories as the best companies in Nassau and Suffolk counties during the 2017 Bethpage Best of Long Island winners dinner party at the Chateau Briand in Carle Place, on Monday, March 27.The night was filled with delicious foods and drinks from some of Long Island’s best eateries, the live band The 60s Invasion and a DJ, a visit from Erin Colton of News 12 Long Island, and of course, business.“What it is I want for everyone here is to walk around the room and meet each other because there are so many different types of businesses in this room—from mortgages to pest control,” said Joshua Schneps, co-owner of the Bethpage Best of Long Island. “So I think most people do not know each other in this room, so I want you to take this opportunity not to just celebrate yourselves, but to do business with each other.”CHECK OUT PHOTOS FROM THE EVENT HEREThe competition is sponsored by the Bethpage Federal Credit Union. For 75 years, Bethpage Federal Credit Union has been helping their customers as well as local businesses.“This is the easiest job in the world because it’s the best financial industry on Long Island,” said Jerry Schmitt, vice president of marketing at Bethpage. “This event is a great accomplishment. We are delighted to be associated with you because you are all winners.”Coming out to enjoy the festivities were representatives from Sweet Karma Desserts, Knot of the World, the Long Island Ducks, Skyway Pest Management, Adelphi University, The Grindhouse Radio, Jefferson’s Ferry, Barrage Brewing Company, Top Notch Dezigns, and a bevy of other companies.“Bethpage Credit Union has made it possible for you to build your business,” added Victoria Schneps, co-owner of the Bethpage Best of Long Island. “Now it’s up to you guys. Network, have a great time, and dance your feet off.”CHECK OUT PHOTOS FROM THE EVENT HEREFeatured Photo: Hundreds of business owners celebrated victories as ‘The Best’ companies throughout Nassau and Suffolk counties at the 2017 Bethpage Best of L.I. winners dinner party at the Chateau Briand in Carle Place, on Monday, March 27. (Photos by Mike Savitsky)
Nov 17, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – A Department of Health and Human Services official said today that loss of potency is affecting less than 20% of H5N1 avian influenza vaccine doses in the national stockpile, not a majority of doses as reported here yesterday.Bill Hall, an HHS spokesman in Washington, DC, said the agency has acquired a total of about 7.5 million doses of H5N1 vaccine to date, and about 200,000 of those have been used for research.About 1.4 million doses have begun to lose potency, Hall said. “That leaves about 5.9 million doses that are mostly in bulk, with some in vials, that still have potency,” he said. “That would treat about 3 million people.”Hall gave the numbers in response to the report here yesterday in which he was quoted as saying that a majority of vaccine doses in the stockpile had begun to lose potency. He said his comments were mischaracterized.HHS has been stockpiling H5N1 vaccine in preparation for the threat of an influenza pandemic sparked by the avian flu virus. In a Nov 13 pandemic planning update, HHS Secretary Mike Leavitt said the agency had enough vaccine on hand for about 3 million people. A previous update in July said the stockpile contained enough vaccine for about 4 million people.Hall cited the loss of potency in some of the vaccine as the main reason for the decrease in the number of people who could be immunized.Most of the vaccine was made by Sanofi Pasteur, but HHS also has bought some from Chiron Corp., Hall said today.He reiterated today that all vaccines and other biologic products have a limited shelf life. “The expected shelf life of seasonal flu vaccine is probably about a year,” so the fact that most of the stockpile is still good after about 2 years “is probably a good thing,” he said.Hall added that HHS-sponsored research now under way, particularly on the use of adjuvants (immune-boosting substances), may help to stretch the vaccine supply.See also:Nov 13 HHS pandemic planning updatehttp://www.flu.gov/professional/pdf/panflureport3.pdf