US Navy surges USS Monterey after destroyer collisions

first_imgBack to overview,Home naval-today US Navy surges cruiser Monterey following recent collisions View post tag: US Navy Authorities View post tag: US 7th Fleet The US Navy has deployed Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Monterey (CG 61) and will deploy another destroyer to make up lost ballistic missile defense capability after two guided missile destroyers were severely damaged in recent collisions.USS Monterey departed Naval Station Norfolk October 16, for a surge deployment to the US 5th Fleet and US 6th Fleet areas of operation.An additional destroyer, the USS O’Kane, is to be deployed with the same task. According to USNI News, the USS O’Kane was set for an independent deployment before being tasked to head for the US 7th Fleet area of operations for ballistic missile defense support.The two ships are being deployed after the collisions of USS Fitzgerald and USS John S. McCain earlier this year. The lives of 17 US Navy sailors were lost in the two collisions.The guided-missile cruiser USS Monterey (CG 61), a component of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 10, returned to Naval Station Norfolk January 19 following a 7 1/2 month long deployment to 5th and 6th Fleet area of operations. She is part of the Navy’s optimized fleet response plan.Monterey will ensure a continuous ballistic missile defense presence and uninterrupted support for potential tasking.“I am inspired and motivated by the crew of USS Monterey. I could not be more proud and honored to serve with this crew,” said Capt. Dave Stoner, Monterey’s commanding officer. “The effort and skills demonstrated over the last two months is a testament to the strength and abilities of this crew. These Sailors have epitomized this ship’s motto, ‘Rough in Battle, Ready in Peace’.” US Navy surges cruiser Monterey following recent collisionscenter_img View post tag: USS Monterey View post tag: BMD October 17, 2017 Share this articlelast_img read more

Student lands grant to further tuberculosis control in Indonesia

first_img Read Full Story For Philips Loh, the suffering of tuberculosis patients — and the frightening ease with which the disease spreads — was a wake-up call. After working as an intern at a hospital in his native Indonesia, Loh decided to abandon his plans to become a physician and turn his focus to infectious disease prevention. Now the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) doctoral student is helping implement a new TB research and capacity building initiative in Indonesia, for which he won a three-year $420,000 grant.Loh, who earned a master’s degree at HSPH this spring, developed the proposal as his master’s thesis. It aims to identify risk factors in Indonesia for the spread of multidrug-resistant (MDR) and extensively drug-resistant (XDR) tuberculosis. These deadly strains can develop in locations where TB control programs are weak and treatment protocols are not followed correctly. Indonesia has the eighth-highest burden of drug-resistant tuberculosis in the world.The researchers’ findings will be used to inform the development of better TB control strategies in Indonesia. The work also will funnel much-needed funds into the country’s research infrastructure, improving its capacity to respond to drug-resistant TB outbreaks, Loh said.last_img read more

Bethard exits UK online gambling scene

first_img TVBET passes GLI test for five live games in Malta and Italy August 25, 2020 Share Submit StumbleUpon Related Articles Bethard Group has confirmed that it will terminate its entire UK online gambling market presence next month.  The Malta-based gambling operator communicated to UK customers that its flagship Bethard brand would no longer accept wagers or further transactions from the 6 July. UK customers have been given until the 10 August to withdraw funds and clear their player accounts, as Bethard closes its UK presence in line with UKGC licensing procedures.Bethard confirmed to SBC that its UK exit follows a strategic review undertaken during lockdown in which management have chosen to focus on ‘profitable markets’.The operator secured its UKGC licence in 2018 as part of the firm’s multi-market expansion targeting growth in the UK, Denmark and Ireland, having established its presence as a challenger sportsbook in its home market of Sweden.In the exit statement, Bethard management has chosen not to disclose any specific reasons for its decision to depart the UK online gambling scene, simply underling that it has reviewed all marketplace options.UK online gambling tax, regulatory and compliance changes undertaken during the course of 2019-to-2020 have seen a number of licensed incumbents depart the market, including 188BET, Betclic Everest, ComeOn and Royal Panda.Bethard management confirmed that the operator will maintain its presence across all other established markets, through licenses for Malta, Denmark, Ireland, Spain and Sweden. UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 Winning Post: Swedish regulator pushes back on ‘Storebror’ approach to deposit limits August 24, 2020 Sharelast_img read more